1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Buzzbait, Dec 9, 2018.

1. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
  2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Never get buttons with my GEC....maybe they're a prohibited export item??:D;)

That Elderberry looks well smart :thumbsup:

nifebrite likes this.
  3. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I'm fine with not getting a button, possums are an unsightly critter.

Will Power and JohnDF like this.
  4. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
    Thanks Will!
    Sorry you got no button with yours, only the Northfield tube had one for me.
    Although there are no stripes on the Possum on the button (like in Ace Age) my son likes it.
    Otherwise I would have offered to send it to you.;):)

Will Power likes this.
  5. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I have found the pulls and snap on all the Dixies I've had (9 in total) to be pretty consistent, with about 4½ to 5 pulls and good snap. I was especially happy to pick up the new release in both micarta and copperhead bone. All five of the ones I still own have different shield treatments, from no shield through the common UN-X-LD logo shield. The 2014 run had better stag overall, but I'm happy with my newer one as well. The African blackwood with the cloud shield and slant bolsters is VERY posh!

[​IMG]

6. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    The old run slant bolsters look nicer but the NF trim on the new run still looks great. The 82 is a great stockman pattern.

Will Power likes this.
  7. urbantrapper

urbantrapper

Dec 13, 2018
    This knife (copperhead) has been by my side almost every second since I got it. Just plain love it. Hands down favorite knife of my collection. I use it at every opportunity and fondle it often. Its getting a nice patina too. I need more knives of this quality.

Will Power and TheChunk91 like this.
  8. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Jeff, nice group shot, I much prefer the earlier stag knife, both have great stag but the shield makes the knife look so much classier and finished. Really wish GEC would go back to putting shields on stag knives, I would pay more.

9. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I was surprised to see an opossum on the pin, seeing it was called a possum skinnner. Do people even skin opossums? I have skinned countless possums - but they actually have a skin worth skinning.

UnderDawgAl, L.H.S and urbantrapper like this.
  10. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    If you want to eat then you should skin them. A couple of good ole boys I work with that live up the holler definitely eat them.

11. Coonskinner

Coonskinner

Mar 28, 2001
    I have skinned a truckload of possums in my life.

wwilson and Camillus like this.
  12. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    It's the same thing in America. In the region Titusville is in we just call them possums.

Prester John likes this.
  13. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Ok thanks, I was just interested to know if the opossum skinning was a thing people did. Possum skinning certainly is a big activity where I am from, we don’t have too many any other mammals to skin!

wwilson and L.H.S like this.
  14. biomed

biomed Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Why did the chicken cross the road? To show the possum it was possible.

Travman, Buzzbait and TheChunk91 like this.
  15. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    Funny thing you mention that because recently a friend of mine saw a chicken crossing a busy road in the middle of tulsa.

16. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day.

Travman and Prester John like this.
  17. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    I have recently watched a few of your videos and quite enjoyed them. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

L.H.S likes this.
  18. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to watch them!

TheChunk91 likes this.
  19. Carboniferous

Carboniferous

Jul 15, 2015
    I received an 82 possum skinner today, really impressed overall but there's a bit of blade rub. Far from a deal breaker considering the nearly flawless fit and finish otherwise and the enormous slice-y-ness and thinnest of the knife, just wondering if blade rub is common on this model. Will upload some pictures later

20. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    None on my Micarta one at all, and it has good snap too. An unusual and really worthwhile pattern this one, carries neatly despite its size.

A scaled down version would be welcome as well :cool: