2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

XUVnXlS.jpg

I received an 82 possum skinner today, really impressed overall but there's a bit of blade rub. Far from a deal breaker considering the nearly flawless fit and finish otherwise and the enormous slice-y-ness and thinnest of the knife, just wondering if blade rub is common on this model. Will upload some pictures later
I have had some light marks of blade rub on my Tidioute and Northfield. The blades snap close without touching anything, it's just light rubbing when I open the knife and the pressure sometimes gets a little sideways. But when I focus on the upward direction, I can avoid it.

Last edited:
A while back I took some comparison photos of an 82 vs a 53. Here they are for those that are interested.

IMG_2747.jpg IMG_2748.jpg IMG_2749.jpg IMG_2750.jpg

I have made it no secret that the gec 81 abilene stockman is my favorite gec and one of my favorite knives, well the 82 dixie stockman is close behind it. This pattern is absolutely awesome. As far as design style goes on slim stockmans it has everything going for it, the lines and size are great and the blades perfectly proportioned. I think the slant bolster ones are the best of the 82's but I have no complaints about the beautiful double lined bolsters on the new run. This elderberry is my favorite of this run and I also have a copperhead which looks fantastic. Now I think I have a few slant 82's to chase down...

Last edited:
Does anybody use a sheath to carry their #82? I’m finding mine to be a little long to fit well in the pocket. I do have a pretty nice horizontal belt sheath somewhere around here. I’ll have to find it and see if it works.
EhVm3aO.jpg

Have you tried back pocket carry, horizontally next to your wallet? Works like a charm.

That's how I carry my Schrade 8OT and my Case Trappers. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

That's how I almost always carry the main knife that I'm using. If it's about jr cattle size or bigger it works great and you don't have to fish for it like the front pocket. I can comfortably carry up to a 5 1/4" folding hunter in the back pocket of the jeans I currently have. The 82 is pretty big of course so it's very accessible in the back pocket.

Quick question for those in the know. My birthday and fathers day are coming up around the same time. I am considering getting another 82 as I am quite fond of my current one (rattlesnake jig). But this time I want to shoot for a stag version. Ive seen online mostly Northfield in stag with no shield, but Iive found at least one online retailer where the picture shows an UNXLD shield. I would like to find one with the shield if available when the time comes. The question is, has anyone else noticed this and why is there a version with and one without? Unles that was some kind of marketing error. Beyond that, with the fact that there arent many available options to buy GEC new, I may go for a stag pemberton instead. I guess it just depends whats available when the time comes. But please help me settle this shield vs no shield on these stag 82s.

GEC does not put shields on stag any longer. If you see a picture of stag with a shield it is from a previous run.

GEC does not put shields on stag any longer. If you see a picture of stag with a shield it is from a previous run.

Thanks! So just to be clear the knife with the shield is of the older run, and either it is the older run knife available or the stock photo is wrong. In which case if I ordered the knife it would likely come with no shield.

No shield, if you want a shield you have to go to the secondary market.

The first run of Dixie Stockman in 2014 had shields on the Stag knives, it also had better looking Stag than the latest run from 2018...If I could get one in Stag with a shield I wouldn't hesitate....;)

It needs to be said: my Micarta Dixie stockman comtinues to grow on me.

The long, thin, delicate main blade glides through anything, cutting grapes and orange «filets» for the kids goes so easy it’s fun to do. Plastic wrapping, thread, meat, it makes me look for things to cut.

Whittling with the wharncliff (?) and drop point is also a breeze, and the long handle and low sunk blades makes using it over time is effortless. As the drop point and wharncliff feels a bit sturdier than the clip, they are my allround blades, depending on the task.

With use, the springs has worned in, and the walk and talk has improved considerably since it was new.

I still consider my 66 to be my favorite, but the 82 is almost side by side, and I don’t think they have reached the finish line yet. Maybe they never will.. different tasks/different knives. 82 is James Bond, 66 is Jason Bourne and my Buck 303 is Rambo, for those times when I know I’m not going to be able to keep it dry or maintained over time.

No point here really, just felt a need to share my appreciation for a wonderful knife!

No point here really, just felt a need to share my appreciation for a wonderful knife!

I think thats the entire reason this forum exists

Which Bond though?
Connery
Moore
or Craig
Your analogy has got me thinking....have I got a goldy coloured knife ? a M,sieur Scaramanga if you will.

Last edited:
Back