2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

53 and 82

t9BiATQ.jpg

Another plus point of this pattern is the blades all ride low, the joints too and this ensures a very pleasant feel in the hand and pocket. The blade selection is I think really excellent as well and I'm glad they opted for breaking away from the usual stock knife selection. Drop-Point, Wharncliffe, Turkish Clip are favourites of mine, plus they look the business:cool:

I should stop eulogising this knife or there'll be none left for me:eek::D

One of my favorites for a comfortable in-hand feel is this Schrade 194OT. It's a slim handle but that's Ok, as it's meant for light-duty cutting. ...

IMG_1032.jpg

This pic has me wondering.. what if GEC had gone with a sawcut bone on the copperhead ... now that would have been a real treat. I dunno what it is I like about that sawcut Schrade delrin but it just looks so good and I love it in bone even more.

I haven’t had an 81 or 82 in hand yet so I’m really looking forward to it. I had a 53 in stag at one point and thought it was huge. Then again, I didn’t carry many knives over 3-5/8”. The Dixie Stockmans look a lot more trim and slim over the 53’s to me. For the last couple of years I’ve mostly carried knives in the 3-7/8” -4-1/8” sizes so I’m guessing the 82 won’t be a shocker to me now.

Jake, the 81 is a very smooth opener. I like a cam tang in that size knife. The blade configuration limits the utility of the 81, IMO.

A knife that large is not something I'd carry everyday either, mine are in the 14 to 15 size range. And mostly single blades at that. I wanted to try something a little different than usual for me.

53 and 82

Thanks for the comparison. I went onto the fence for a bit about the Possum Skinner after getting the forum knife because it feels so small in hand. Not too small, but right at the minimum that I like. That surprised me since I really like the Churchill(also a minimum size for me) and it's quite a bit shorter. In general, I find the 53/54 frame about perfect for me. Seeing the 82 next to the 53 calms me back down again. Can't wait to get one.

This pic has me wondering.. what if GEC had gone with a sawcut bone on the copperhead ... now that would have been a real treat. I dunno what it is I like about that sawcut Schrade delrin but it just looks so good and I love it in bone even more.

Sawcut in bone form is very attractive. The copperhead is nice but sawcut would have been really nice.

No problem guys, my pleasure. I made a video with snap but imgur is being a pain and not loading it. It's such a great knife, the blades are ground very thin as well which I love. It's in my pocket today, I'll try to snag a pic during the day.

Just trying to show the difference. The 53 is harder to start and snaps open better. The 62 is easier to open, a little softer snap to open but closes just as well. I am very happy with mine

Had I done an SFO, it would’ve been a sawcut bone. GEC has a frightening lack of Sawcut Stockmans!

Sambar Stag?! Glad I held off should get it to go with the Natural Stag model. Would be a great pair

Can anyone put one up next to a #66 for reference?

Im new here guys and this is my first post. Ive been lurking for some time though. This should probably be in anintroduction thread but my first serious slipjoint is currently in the mail and its this beauty, specifically the Tidioute copperhead jigged version. Im very excited for this knife. Ive got a few Cases and some bushcraft blades but im just a fledgeling collector with a few knives. This one is outside my normal price range, but its Christmas and I just had my first child and lost my job all in the same week! Besides I need to see what all the hype is about when people talk of these significantly higher quality knives. Thanks guys hope to see more chatter about this 82 while I wait for mine! Cheers!

Do any of you folks that already have one also have an 81 to compare the two in a pic? It will be a couple weeks before I have one of these in hand.

Back