2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Here is the comparison between 81s and 82s, alternating. The 82s are longer, but rounder and slimmer.

8c03zAa.jpg

Here is the comparison between 81s and 82s, alternating. The 82s are longer, but rounder and slimmer.

I thought they were more similar. I bought a couple of last years Bull Moose ( Meese?) and they never grew on me. I am definitely more of a Moose Man than a Stockman, but, after a couple of days I have really grown fond of my Dixie Stockman. I have to pull out my remaining Bullmooose for closer inspection and comparison, thanks for the pics. I too can't wait for the Possum SKinners.

Very pleased with this knife. While I thought it might be a little big for me; it's really seems to carry about the same as a Case 47 stockman.
GEC's fit & finish in this one is maybe the best I've seen other than my #62 Courthouse Whittler. Very smooth transitions, and action is right on. The back spine is so tight & nicely finished it almost looks like one piece of steel. One other thing that stood out to me was how clean & finished the inside blade well is. Granted all GEC's are nicely finished inside, but I have never seen GEC go to this level of finish inside. Looks like a custom. Not sure why these Copperhead's are lingering in the stores for what I believe is a small run.

isnK6JF.jpg

nBZLLLL.jpg

Man thats great news! I hope mine comes with the same level of quality. This post has effectively ramped up my excitement. I also was wondering why this version isnt flying off the shelves like other GECs. Is it because of the common pattern, or perhaps the jigged bone and dye is not of collector standard, or its not a northfield? Either way this is going to be the highest priced knife in my current
Very pleased with this knife. While I thought it might be a little big for me; it's really seems to carry about the same as a Case 47 stockman.
GEC's fit & finish in this one is maybe the best I've seen other than my #62 Courthouse Whittler. Very smooth transitions, and action is right on. The back spine is so tight & nicely finished it almost looks like one piece of steel. One other thing that stood out to me was how clean & finished the inside blade well is. Granted all GEC's are nicely finished inside, but I have never seen GEC go to this level of finish inside. Looks like a custom. Not sure why these Copperhead's are lingering in the stores for what I believe is a small run.

isnK6JF.jpg

nBZLLLL.jpg
collection.

Man thats great news! I hope mine comes with the same level of quality. This post has effectively ramped up my excitement. I also was wondering why this version isnt flying off the shelves like other GECs. Is it because of the common pattern, or perhaps the jigged bone and dye is not of collector standard, or its not a northfield? Either way this is going to be the highest priced knife in my current

collection.

As someone who was actively trying to trade a rare 81 Stockman for an 82 Stockman when they were announced, I have to disagree with the idea that it’s a common pattern. I think it’s the muskrat clip. It’s a shame, because it works really well on this pattern.

As someone who was actively trying to trade a rare 81 Stockman for an 82 Stockman when they were announced, I have to disagree with the idea that it’s a common pattern. I think it’s the muskrat clip. It’s a shame, because it works really well on this pattern.

I was thinking "stockman" being the common factor, rather than the specific blade types. Is the muskrat the less desireable bit? I saw a lot of chatter about the micartas and stags, but not much about this copperhead jigged. Thanks for filling me in.

Man thats great news! I hope mine comes with the same level of quality. This post has effectively ramped up my excitement. I also was wondering why this version isnt flying off the shelves like other GECs. Is it because of the common pattern, or perhaps the jigged bone and dye is not of collector standard, or its not a northfield? Either way this is going to be the highest priced knife in my current collection.

The muskrat clip is a "FANTASTIC" blade. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Keep your excitement, because you'll likely love the knife!

The jig bone Tidioute's are very nice knives, plus they have satin blades. :D

Congrats on a wise purchase & welcome to the forum (aka porch). :)

- Del

I was thinking "stockman" being the common factor, rather than the specific blade types. Is the muskrat the less desireable bit? I saw a lot of chatter about the micartas and stags, but not much about this copperhead jigged. Thanks for filling me in.

Ah, I see. Actually, until the recent 66 Stockman run, GEC Stockmans in general we’re pretty hard to come by. I do think a lot of people prefer a full clip blade’s aesthetics. I was one of those people until I got my first 48 with the muskrat clip. Now I’m a believer. :D

Ah, I see. Actually, until the recent 66 Stockman run, GEC Stockmans in general we’re pretty hard to come by. I do think a lot of people prefer a full clip blade’s aesthetics. I was one of those people until I got my first 48 with the muskrat clip. Now I’m a believer. :D

Same here! :D

Edit:

The 38 Special seems to be the *Rodney Dangerfield* knife of 2017 :p

However, it has fantastic balance, a spiffy muskrat clip and slices fruit like a samurai sword.

Forgot to mention this knife earlier. :confused:

Last edited:

collection.

There are a great number of folks who frequent these forums and are active on various other forms of social media that greatly prefer single bladed patterns, 2 blades at the most. You can still find the 66 pattern (which is a medium sized stockman) on the shelves of many a dealer and those were from a production run in 2017. It is a very fine knife, it just does not ever get the same love that many of the single blade patterns do.

There are a great number of folks who frequent these forums and are active on various other forms of social media that greatly prefer single bladed patterns, 2 blades at the most. You can still find the 66 pattern (which is a medium sized stockman) on the shelves of many a dealer and those were from a production run in 2017. It is a very fine knife, it just does not ever get the same love that many of the single blade patterns do.

I just don’t get it. I have and live my single blades, but multiple blades are one of the great things about traditionals! Different strokes I guess.

GEC's fit & finish in this one is maybe the best I've seen other than my #62 Courthouse Whittler. Very smooth transitions, and action is right on. The back spine is so tight & nicely finished it almost looks like one piece of steel. One other thing that stood out to me was how clean & finished the inside blade well is. Granted all GEC's are nicely finished inside, but I have never seen GEC go to this level of finish inside. Looks like a custom.

isnK6JF.jpg

nBZLLLL.jpg

Agreed. I was impressed enough with my micarta that I followed it up with a copperhead bone version. The build quality is indeed impressive.

The 38 Special seems to be the *Rodney Dangerfield* knife of 2017 :p

However, it has fantastic balance, a spiffy muskrat clip and slices fruit like a samurai sword.

Might have something to do with its absolutely anemic action. While I love how the #38 feels in hand, and its blade is a slicing machine, I really prefer my knives to close without me literally having to shut it all the way.

Back