2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Good luck with your hunt! Part of me wants to buy as many spinners as I can for backups based on the stockman. It feels so good in hand I know the PS will be even more so

I'm surprised at how much I have enjoyed the stockman. I was leaning towards picking up a possum skinner with this one on my do not purchase list based on size and number of blades. But I had a moment of weakness when I saw the copperhead bone with houndtooth shield and placed the order. I have been carrying it ever since, really sits well in the pocket. Now I'm looking forward to the possum skinner, will definitely need to pick one up.

I was not going to go for an 82, but a sambar stag copy called my name. Took a while to locate a dealer with one I thought looked good.

I have seen a few stag 82 models with cracks near bolsters or pins, and these seem to sell quick - do people prefer cracks on the stag?

I feel like cracks are more normal on elk antler, and not my preference on sambar.

I thought a lot of the Stag looked lacklustre...but I'm biased as I've never approved of GEC's decision to run away from inletting shields on their Stag knives. Not been interested in them since, so that leaves more for others :)

I thought a lot of the Stag looked lacklustre...

i agree the 82 run seems to have more groovy texture and not much knobs and bumps.

i almost passed but then checked the GEC website- no stag possum skinner 82s, so this is our only chance on stag 82s this go round. i think very few were made in stag.

I snagged a nice stag yesterday, having always regretted not getting one from the previous run.

I shy away from any kind of pin cracks, and tend to prefer stag with no cracks at all. Unlike some, I tend to like my stag a little on the fat side.

The GEC cover photo is blank at the moment...my guess is you'll see the Elderberry pop up there tomorrow. They are already making 21's at this point.

When I recieved mine copperhead bone, I wasn't extremely impressed. The bone was didn't take it's dye very deep, and is pretty much white on the corners. Still better then the dye job on my "goldenrod" #44 though. Out of the tube, the action on all three blades, but especially the secondaries, was sticky and weak. I expected that, and went about flushing the joints as usual. Except this time there wasnt much improvement. Worked with them for a little over an hour without much improvement. Figured I'd be putting it up for sale.

As a last ditch effort, I inundated the pivots with RemOil, rolled it back up in the wax paper and let it sit in the tube for 3 or 4 days. The improvement in the action is now noticeable. Still work to be done, especially on the drop point as the joint is really tight, but I would now deem the action on all the blades as "acceptable," and better than my well broken in #66. There is the smallest hint of rub between the drop point and wharnie, but not very much. Its now going to be a keeper, at least for the time being. It is a bit large, but I feel very proportionate in length vs width.. Now if we could only get a stockman in a size between this and the #66 (cough cough #35 stockman!!!)

Very much looking forward to my micarta 'Possum skinner!!

Mine all have very good action and snap.

One of the things you can do is polish the tang with Flitz or Simichrome.

Polishing the tang along with a good mineral oil flush helps a bunch.

It's a simple fix.

- Del
Good news! I finally received a #38 Special with a good little action. Picked up a used FWOA edition. While the closing is still weak and leaves something to be desired, the opening is nice and finsihes with a very satisfying snap.

Maybe that is where the nicer stag went! I have a great ability to only reserve a stag when GEC has ran out of the nice stuff.
Camillus Camillus , haha, I have the same talent! I've basically given up on buying stag on the primary market. The little great stag I have, I've picked up on the secondary.

The stag 82s from the first run (that I passed on), they had some fairly lackluster stag IIRC.

But I really regretted missing out about a year after the fact. I told myself if I got another crack at them, I wouldn't be very picky about the stag. I really like the one I picked out, but it was tough to commit before seeing what the "big guys" had to offer. I think DLT has yet to release any to the wild. Some of the pre production pics looked pretty good, but I agree with you folks, a lot of it wasn't all that impressive.

The elderberries on the cover today look pretty nice! I hope they don't sell out too fast cause my knife budget needs a rest. :)

I'm either blind or stupid??? :confused::confused::confused:

According to Mrs. Oro, sometimes both!!! :p:p:p

The jigging looks different to me on each knife??? :eek::eek::eek:

What say you??? ;););)

- Del

uYUipC3.jpg

Back