2018 Arkansas Knife Show - Knife Photos and Awards!

Made it home late yesterday afternoon from Little Rock. I have to give a big round of applause to Logan for pulling off one of the best shows I've attended in quite a while. Very well produced for his 1st time out, I think the 1 day show should be a signal to other shows, especially the 2-3 day shows!! The crowd was good most all day. From many of the other makers that I visited with, sales were good...high end knives were selling, which, I think, is also an indication that our overall economy is prospering. I'll be back next year, say once again to Logan...Great Job!!

I am editing today. I will begin with AWARD winners, and move forward from there.

Here is the list of winners. Look for some images later today....

Arkansas Knife Show 2018 - Award winning knives (As chosen by the makers and attendees!)

Best Performance Bowie: John Horrigan

Best Bowie: Ben Seward

Best Fighter: John Horrigan

Best Folder: Johnny Stout

Best Hunter: Josh Fisher

Best Damascus: Scott Gallagher

Best Art Knife: Scott Gallagher

Best Pearl Knife: Don Hanson III

Best Collaboration: Shawn Ellis & Jim Crowell

Best Historically Inspired: Steve Culver

Best Sheath: Tie: Kenny Rowe & John Cohea

Collector’s Choice Award: J.R. Cook

Best Dagger: Tie: J.R. Cook & Andrew Meers

Best of Show: Andrew Meers

The list of Award Winners is in the previous post. Let's SEE them!

Ben Seward
orig.jpg

John Horrigan
orig.jpg

Johnny Stout with Brian Bump's engraving
orig.jpg

Josh Fisher
orig.jpg

Scott Gallagher
orig.jpg

Scott Gallagher
orig.jpg

Don Hanson III
orig.jpg

More....

Last edited:
Award Winners (continued)

Shawn Ellis and Jim Crowell
orig.jpg

Steve Culver
orig.jpg

Kenny Rowe (Tie)
orig.jpg

John Cohea (Tie)
orig.jpg

J.R. Cook
orig.jpg

Andrew Meers - Best of Show and Best Dagger (tie)
orig.jpg

Notes: "Photos don't do them justice." I agree.

I did not have a chance to shoot the AMAZING integral dagger by JR Cook which tied for best dagger with Andrew Meers. It was WOW!

Nor did I shoot the 'Best Performance Bowie' from John Horrigan. It went away too soon.

I shot Scott Gallagher's dagger and then saw that wonderful rare silk scarf which he wrapped it in... "Wait a minute. Come back here...." So glad I took that moment.

Did I mention how GRATIFIED I was to have found such a great person (family!) to help me on Saturday? Let me describe:

I'm chatting with Buddy Thomason and telling him a REALLY need a helper. He can't. He's assigned to his Bowie Knife book table. I look around the banquet and see a young man with his family in the food line. He looks about 15 or 16. Son of a collector or maker? Hmmmmm.......

I approach them and introduce myself, and then get right to the point: "Young man, I'm looking for an assistant tomorrow to help me write up projects and run knives back and forth. Maybe even take in some money. I am willing to PAY. Would you consider??"

Well. His name is Peyton, and come to find out he is there because he's a young knifemaker and he came to LEARN and talk to table-holders. His mom and Dad are there to support him. He's unavailable. However, the MOM (Misty) wanted to know more. After a briefing she agreed to join me in the morning. (She would give anything I paid her to her son's knifemaking needs, she told me later.)

I could not have found a more pleasant, sharp minded, and hard working assistant. By 2pm the entire family were hanging around and getting me lunch, running knives, and they sustained to the end!

I ended up paying them even more than I stated because they were so beneficial and worthy. SO cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hat's OFF to the Delaney family from Texas. (Misty has said she'd help me again next year.) She also helped me with photo projects holding mirrors, etc. Now she knows. I'd better watch my back... ;)

Notes: "Photos don't do them justice." I agree.

I did not have a chance to shoot the AMAZING integral dagger by JR Cook which tied for best dagger with Andrew Meers. It was WOW!

Nor did I shoot the 'Best Performance Bowie' from John Horrigan. It went away too soon.

I shot Scott Gallagher's dagger and then saw that wonderful rare silk scarf which he wrapped it in... "Wait a minute. Come back here...." So glad I took that moment.

Did I mention how GRATIFIED I was to have found such a great person (family!) to help me on Saturday? Let me describe:

I'm chatting with Buddy Thomason and telling him a REALLY need a helper. He can't. He's assigned to his Bowie Knife book table. I look around the banquet and see a young man with his family in the food line. He looks about 15 or 16. Son of a collector or maker? Hmmmmm.......

I approach them and introduce myself, and then get right to the point: "Young man, I'm looking for an assistant tomorrow to help me write up projects and run knives back and forth. Maybe even take in some money. I am willing to PAY. Would you consider??"

Well. His name is Peyton, and come to find out he is there because he's a young knifemaker and he came to LEARN and talk to table-holders. His mom and Dad are there to support him. He's unavailable. However, the MOM (Misty) wanted to know more. After a briefing she agreed to join me in the morning. (She would give anything I paid her to her son's knifemaking needs, she told me later.)

I could not have found a more pleasant, sharp minded, and hard working assistant. By 2pm the entire family were hanging around and getting me lunch, running knives, and they sustained to the end!

I ended up paying them even more than I stated because they were so beneficial and worthy. SO cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hat's OFF to the Delaney family from Texas. (Misty has said she'd help me again next year.) She also helped me with photo projects holding mirrors, etc. Now she knows. I'd better watch my back... ;)

COOP: Nice story - your pleasant side brings out the best in people. :):thumbsup:

Keep them coming...!

Karl Anderson brought this WONDERFUL takedown bowie. He wanted a single image to show off his and Scott Teaschner's work. When I saw how sweet this looked AND it could come apart I sent Peyton over to get the 'tool'. 15 mins later we had THIS shot. Superb work!
orig.jpg

What could be better than A DHIII 'Scary Tac'??! :eek: THREE of them! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
orig.jpg

There's a 'New Kid in Town', and he's one of the hottest gunslingers around. Scott Gallagher will test for MS in 2019. Stay posted.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

It appears simple in shape, but there is a LOT of complexity overall. Great chef's knife from Doug Campbell.
orig.jpg

I have to wait on more approvals and I have a lot more editing to do over the weekend.

I especially love the Karl Andersen photo. The fact that he builds his knives to take down is a major point for his knives.

The shot of the Andersen bowie should be on the front page of his web site. And on his business cards. And... well... you get the picture (pardon the pun). Fantastic shot of a terrific knife.

Back