• Giraffe Bone - $$

Votes: 31 9.9%
  • Camel Bone - $$

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Stag - $$$

Votes: 40 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a little intrigued by the traction that the jigged bone is getting so far. I didn't get the impression that it was a desirable choice in the original poll.

I voted elk and jigged bone.

Elk is my top choice all the way. From the examples that were made up early in this process, to the northwest origin, to even the variability of elk, all of these things are good reasons to support elk in my eyes. 100% I want elk to win.

But I know elk is not for everyone, and my second choice for this knife would be jigged bone. I've really liked the red jigged bone Buck examples I have seen. And I just think that jigged bone is classically traditional.

I am a little intrigued by the traction that the jigged bone is getting so far. I didn't get the impression that it was a desirable choice in the original poll.

It is interesting. For me, once I eliminate elk, ram, and stag, the choices get narrowed down quickly. Rather than play roulette with camel or giraffe, I picked the only two left, buffalo and jigged bone. And I'm not sure about the buffalo ...

It is interesting. For me, once I eliminate elk, ram, and stag, the choices get narrowed down quickly. Rather than play roulette with camel or giraffe, I picked the only two left, buffalo and jigged bone. And I'm not sure about the buffalo ...
What I like about the buffalo is that you don't really have to gamble on either colour, looks or whether the sides match. It is what it is and looks great at being what it is. I'd prefer it to wood where because of the grain patterns, you're yet again gambling on matching sides and whether it's going to be a 'good' one. I think the same thinking is behind the popularity of jigged bone. You can rely on what you're going to get. Perhaps less interesting as a result but at least its predictable.

Perhaps I'm just boring. I just don't like surprises when I buy something designed to be aesthetically pleasing.

Oooo.. camel bone..

So if a bone wins, will we be polling on surface treatment? I imagine so..

Nevermind.. I just noticed jigged is by itself, so I just assume the others will be smooth as they usually are. Sweet.
Yes, if the option can take treatment or dying, we'll have to sort that out.

So just in case anyone was wondering why I am so hot for elk (edit: According to SK I have been wrong about this all along, this is actually stag) on this knife, it is all thanks to the image that skblades skblades shared right at the beginning of this process, before Buck was even officially chosen, he had some examples made. And that <top one> sure piqued my interest. I mean, the burlap and the buckeye are lovely, BUT THE <TOP ONE>!!!
39609053900_7acf4b_h-jpg.886494

I mean, it might take us out of the $100 range, but imagine that <top one> with grooved bolsters and FFG with a long pull on the main. Tell me that combo would not be exquisite!

Last edited:
1. Elk, by a longshot
2. Jigged bone

HOWEVER

the fact that Jigged bone was at 3.8% in the original poll has me concerned with how well it will hold up against the wood or synthetic champion in the next round.

Although it is my 2nd favorite in this group, I'm only voting for elk until further consideration.

So just in case anyone was wondering why I am so hot for elk on this knife, it is all thanks to the image that skblades skblades shared right at the beginning of this process, before Buck was even officially chosen, he had some examples made. And that elk sure piqued my interest. I mean, the burlap and the buckeye are lovely, BUT THE ELK!!!
39609053900_7acf4b_h-jpg.886494

I mean, it might take us out of the $100 range, but imagine that elk with grooved bolsters and FFG with a long pull on the main. Tell me that combo would not be exquisite!
That's actually stag :)

1. Elk, by a longshot
2. Jigged bone

HOWEVER

the fact that Jigged bone was at 3.8% in the original poll has me concerned with how well it will hold up against the wood or synthetic champion in the next round.

Although it is my 2nd favorite in this group, I'm only voting for elk until further consideration.

I was kind of wondering this myself. Jigged bone is certainly a "safe" option as has been suggested and it undoubtedly is a solid choice. But given the exotic/exciting nature of some of the wood choices and the popularity of the micarta, particularly burlap, I do not see the jigged bone holding up in the final "showdown".

That being said, I would prefer it over micarta, but it would depend on the final wood choice whether I would choose it over wood. And of course, it really depends on the color of bone too.

I think part of the reason that jigged bone didn't do well in the first poll is that it was added late. Since these are "non-blinded" polls, people are biased to some extent by other's choices. Folks don't want to waste their vote on a sure loser, so when other options jumped out to early leads (before bone was added) it dissuaded some from choosing that material.

Personally, I love jigged bone and that gets one of my votes. It's perfect for this style of knife, in my opinion (and I like the red, too). Elk gets my other vote.

As much as I'm leery of elk sight unseen, it's sort of an obvious pick...and I'll trust Buck's Grade A designation. If I hate it, I'm sure it won't be difficult to make go away.
Second choice was a little less easy for me...but I went with giraffe bone. Again, it's a gamble for luck of the draw distribution (with how an individual side will take dye, and the likelihood of two sides matching nicely); so I may jump this vote to something more conservative like buffalo horn (and I don't have anything with buffalo horn)

I'm glad to see jigged bone making such a strong showing, which would have been my preference in the first poll if I wasn't choosing a wood. You can't get much more traditional than a stockma...dagnabbit...slipjoint knife with jigged bone 50 votes in one day vs. the original poll...I think folks are coming to their senses!

I originally wanted elk, but the possibility of uneven or plain makes it too much of a dice roll. Buffalo or camel bone for me!

Back