2018 BF Knife Poll 5.301 - Materials Battle Royale

Which handle material for the 2018 BF Knife?

• Ironwood

Votes: 137 38.8%
  • Elk

Votes: 179 50.7%
  • Burlap Micarta

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is good to know and is something I've been wondering - if it's possible to sand or smooth after the fact. Thank you. :)
Well, I admit that I'm just assuming it's possible. I've never sanded down elk, but I've seen lots of very old stag handled knives that were worn smooth with years of use. I'd recommend asking one of the knife modders and makers here for advice before trying it. It's also likely that even if bumpy popcorn is chosen, there will be a natural range of bumpiness, so maybe some trading could take place.

I sure think you could sand it down, but I'd seal it with some clear paste wax once done, just to alleviate any swell or shrink.

I am immensely gratified to see the micarta choice lagging so far behind. While ram's horn was my first choice, I'd be happy with either elk or ironwood, but the synthetic leaves me cold on a stockman. Looks like I'm not alone.

Looks like elk is going to win. I hope Buck does a good job with it. Covers can really make or break a knife.

I think I do not have a preference between the two leaders. Either would be fantastic. But I voted "ironwood".

I changed from Micarta to Ironwood.

I love elk! But because a portion of this thread was devoted to returning and refunds before anyone’s gotten their hands on one; I’d rather not see Buck or SK bashed later on when someone isn’t happy with the knife they get.

Micarta would have all been the same and boring. The next safest is ironwood.

Switched to Ironwood and Micarta as a distant third.

,,,Mike in Canada

Last edited:
As of this post, no material has a majority (which somehow seems sad), but elk has a plurality.

It should be an interesting next poll. If all of the micarta and ironwood folks, along with some percentage of elk folk, vote for smooth elk over the knobby ... we might end up with smooth white handles. Which is fine with me.

Yes it's "knobby," people!
I'm for ironwood but if elk then knobby please. Smooth elk is boring IMHO.

This shows how diverse the opinions are from this group or porch sitters. It's like asking 200 people "what toppings should we get on the giant pizza?"
In the end, placing on the table 100 Elk covers and 100 Ironwood covers, would be like(in my experience) cheese, sausage, or vegi pizzas. There’s always plenty of vegi slices left over. Ironwood is that vegi slice. Clearly, at this point, the majority want Elk. There’s a sizable amount who genuinely prefer Ironwood, but there are those contrarians who are desperately trying to sway the vote, but not because they actually want Ironwood. It just that...well... they’re contrarians. They’re like the ones who say they want vegi, but scarf down as many cheese and sausage slices as they possibly can.

But seriously...Thank you for allowing this process of choice. So much work, but so entertaining. Elk, please.

Back