2018 BF Knife Poll 5.301 - Materials Battle Royale

Which handle material for the 2018 BF Knife?

• Ironwood

Votes: 137 38.8%
  • Elk

Votes: 179 50.7%
  • Burlap Micarta

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder what percentage of Ironwood voters will actually buy the elk and vice versa if it were to go that way? I think elk looks horrible for the most part personally, too random if you get something great or something no so great so I hope GEC drops something sweet when these hit if in fact elk is the choice.

Yep thats right Elk is too much of a hassle vote Micarta 24hr to push Micarta to the finish line ahead of the rest!

Found the pic over in the Buck stag thread. This stag has been polished. I assume they could do the same with the elk. Not sure how it would turn out so we would need a sample. I like polished stag covers because they are usually flush to the bolsters and an even thickness while still having some of the basic characters of stag.

P1012775_zpsialwiomj.jpg

I wonder what percentage of Ironwood voters will actually buy the elk and vice versa if it were to go that way? I think elk looks horrible for the most part personally, too random if you get something great or something no so great so I hope GEC drops something sweet when these hit if in fact elk is the choice.

I'd buy the polished elk for sure. I'll even buy the knobby if I'm assured that they won't be fat. I detest fat scales. Fat and knobby? Might as well have a motorcycle tire in my pocket. :) Of course I'm probably one of the only people voting that plan to make this a user ...

lol sorry... last one... I promise!

If I had to guess, I'm guessing they would turn out more like this one. Mostly gray/white, smooth, with some hints of brown. I have no idea really. It depends on where the elk came from, how long it was outside, what part of the antler they use. Lot's of variables, but a sample from Buck would give us a good feel for what it would actually look like. Regarding cost of polishing, I'm guessing it's a wash because Buck could use leftover Elk to polish.

Polished Elk fixed blade from the BF Buck thread.

19pQAUv.jpg

I have complete confidence that SK and Buck will be able to use good elk, and that if we want thin covers, but also knobby, they can do this.

Buck specifically said it was achievable, and so it seems a little unfair to continue to speculate that the elk covers will look no different than smooth bone.

Buck has a solid reputation, they responded without hesitation to SK's questions, and SK is a professional.

I switched my vote from ironwood to elk for all these reasons, and I have faith in the SK/Buck effort to make this forum knife.

I think the line should be drawn with this poll.

By the time we poll down through all of the minutia, we might thin this down below the minimum SFO quantity. Bumpy, smooth polished, or something in the middle? Then we could do shade from light to dark.

Besides... what’s the difference between smooth polished elk and any other bone?

Elk won, let’s get some natural scales on this thing and keep moving forward!

I think posting photos and swapping disappointments for happiness is a great idea!
Don't worry about various shades, there's gonna be around 300o_O prototypes... :D

The polished elk in the pictures above looks nice! Still going with ironwood, but I will get at least 2 regardless of the covers.

Back