2018 BF Knife Poll 5.301 - Materials Battle Royale

Which handle material for the 2018 BF Knife?

• Ironwood

Votes: 137 38.8%
  • Elk

Votes: 179 50.7%
  • Burlap Micarta

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wasn't the stag listed as Natural Shed Elk Stag? I thought I read that somewhere.

All stag has ALWAYS been shed antlers. It does not work unless they are naturally cast off.
Funny how clueless some folks are..lol

I think we need to wait for the shield or no shield vote until after the type of elk (smooth or knobby) is decided.

Smooth, Knobby, or Polished hopefully. Although i feel like polished is probably out. I'm guessing we wont get a sample. Don't know why, a good chunk of what comes out of the Buck custom shop is polished, but it seems like a lack of posts supporting it.

Ideally the vote would be Knobby or Polished. I don't see many champions of Smooth.

If you want a voting option for Polished speak up folks :)

Although my initial pick is for knobby, I have a Northfield #25 in polished Stag and I love it. I know this one is Elk, but I would be equally happy if the choice was polished. The additional fact that the Elk is recycled and naturally shed, makes Elk covers, knobby or polished, a first class pick for me.

'roadkill' antler.. probably wont be far off from what they actually take elk stag from.

Sorry fellas, the stag grosses me out, and I'm out altogether.
I have never heard such a sentiment in all my life. :rolleyes:

But, at any rate, I'm glad we live in a world where people can think how they like! :thumbsup:

Simply more efficient. Or is there any reason to have another 3 weeks of polls rather than 1 when it would accomplish the same thing?
I used to think as you do. And that combining concurrent polls was a good idea. Well, I've learned that this here group doesn't operate that way. If we did pins and handles at the same time, inevitably people would cry out that "Well I like pins on the white, but not on the Knobby, and so I can't decide pins until we know which handles win" and so on and so forth. Therefore, it is actually more efficient to run one poll at a time where I believe we have already exhausted the concurrent polls that can take place.

I think we need to wait for the shield or no shield vote until after the type of elk (smooth or knobby) is decided.

Agreed.

But, we really should take it one more step. Vote on the type of elk, smooth or knobby, then pair the winner from that vote against polished elk. It's only fair that we vote on all three options.

As for pins and shields, they could be a deal breaker for many of us. Personally, the jury is still out for me on them and will be until after all the elk options are completed. I don't like the idea of pins but, it really depends upon the final elk vote. I can see that knobby elk would look great with pins and a shield would be out of place.

For those of you, that want us to combine things; pins could go with the second elk vote. Then we could vote on shields with blade stamps.

I'm not used to wager, but participating to last polls was kinda. As many said before me, I'll accept what come, simply because I find this "place in the place " (trads / BF) an astounding place. Sometimes you don't get what you've wished for, but you're nevertheless happy to be in. Me be so .:thumbsup::)

Stag is renewable, durable and non-toxic handle material. It is easy to work.

Stag antler is bone, so if you do not like stag it would not make sense to like bone scales or handles.

There are thousands of years of history and symbolism associated with stag- king/nobility, strength, virility, honor, protection of others, etc.

The stag is also closely associated with Christianity and Christ.

A nice slab of stag (genuine sambar, elk, moose, whatever) has been classic knife handle material since before the alphabet and underwear.

Agreed.

But, we really should take it one more step. Vote on the type of elk, smooth or knobby, then pair the winner from that vote against polished elk. It's only fair that we vote on all three options.

As for pins and shields, they could be a deal breaker for many of us. Personally, the jury is still out for me on them and will be until after all the elk options are completed. I don't like the idea of pins but, it really depends upon the final elk vote. I can see that knobby elk would look great with pins and a shield would be out of place.

For those of you, that want us to combine things; pins could go with the second elk vote. Then we could vote on shields with blade stamps.

There's no question of voting on the tang stamp, it's not a BF Traditional knife if it doesn't have it, this is why we're here and why a certain type of steel was chosen that can take the stamp.

The latest poll states that shields are out on Elk of any type. Don't mind that as Buck has not got a range of very interesting shields anyway.

I can't see much difference between polished or smooth, they're close to being like bone anyway...;)

There's no question of voting on the tang stamp, it's not a BF Traditional knife if it doesn't have it, this is why we're here and why a certain type of steel was chosen that can take the stamp.

The latest poll states that shields are out on Elk of any type. Don't mind that as Buck has not got a range of very interesting shields anyway.

I can't see much difference between polished or smooth, they're close to being like bone anyway...;)
Thanks for the update. I did not know about the latest poll.

Back