2018 BF Traditional Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Spark and SK come to some sort of middle ground on the profit issue and the tradition can continue. I will say that after my first BF knife, I have gone back and purchased a few knives so even if there was no profit on the BF knife, a new customer was gained...

... Buck and GEC have both indirectly benefited from having a large presence on Bladeforums.com so it seems to me like donating their time to satisfy 250 people is a small price to pay to use this pathway to the world...

They both have limited marketing and advertising resources. My gut says that the bang for the buck( :D ) isn't there for a manufacturer driven forum knife. But I've been wrong before ...

I have been operating under a false and possibly foolish assumption. That assumption was that any expenses incurred in the production of this Forum Knife were to be eaten by the person taking on the challenge. If expenses can at least be covered, and a not for profit price can be established for you all, this changes the discussion completely!

I have a few other bits to work through with this, and still need to establish contact with Spark. I'll also have some questions such as if any excess knives can be opened to the general public, so I will keep everyone informed! SK will be having a meeting about this today.

Also, I don't want to assume you are going with Buck (though the signs are strong), so how do we know when that choice is final?

I have been operating under a false and possibly foolish assumption. That assumption was that any expenses incurred in the production of this Forum Knife were to be eaten by the person taking on the challenge. If expenses can at least be covered, and a not for profit price can be established for you all, this changes the discussion completely!

I have a few other bits to work through with this, and still need to establish contact with Spark. I'll also have some questions such as if any excess knives can be opened to the general public, so I will keep everyone informed! SK will be having a meeting about this today.

Also, I don't want to assume you are going with Buck (though the signs are strong), so how do we know when that choice is final?

If Spark approves I would think you are good to go. It basically comes down to Spark's approval and Charlie's posting of his thoughts about this years forum knife. You may want to run a poll to get a feel for how many people are interested in purchasing a forum knife this year - after you hear from Spark. If it were me, I would respectfully reach out to Charlie and Jack to wrap up any loose ends.

SK....you get me a 301 with something besides black delrin or synthetic wood and I'm down for at least two....

Last year the excess BF knives were posted on the dealers site for sale - fyi

The forum knife projects in recent years have been, for the most part, devoid of membership body democratic decision. Before a 2018 knife is declared, ordered, and paid for, please consider polling the membership body on some choices, ie pattern number, blade steel, handle material, additional options, and allow some time for results to accumulate.

The forum knife projects in recent years have been, for the most part, devoid of membership body democratic decision. Before a 2018 knife is declared, ordered, and paid for, please consider polling the membership body on some choices, ie pattern number, blade steel, handle material, additional options, and allow some time for results to accumulate.

If the Buck option moves forward, I have plans for a few phases of polling that will last a week each. You can all beat each other up in the comments, and we'll collect the input! :)

If the Buck option moves forward, I have plans for a few phases of polling that will last a week each. You can all beat each other up in the comments, and we'll collect the input! :)
Please allow for changing of votes. This will allow for the debate found within the comments to actually have an affect.

Looking forward to any movement towards a knife and thankful that we have had some already.

Though I'm only sitting at a computer screen, something physically palpable has just happened to this thread. I'm sure I am not eloquent enough to give a response perfectly, so I'll just go ahead and do my best and hope for grace if needed.

Hearing of the tradition outlined by @waynorth adds weight to the actions taken here. Also, the no profit rule has clearly shifted the game. I'm a guest over here with you all, the Buck Forum is my home, so I will tread as respectfully here as possible. Two options come to my mind for moving forward:

1. An Official Blade Forum Knife
SK can handle the communication between Buck and someone who would like to take on the volunteer position for the official Blade Forum Knife, can do so. That would shift the financial burden to the volunteer, as well as shipping and logistics. We could still use our dealer status with Buck to get the knife ordered and moving through the factory. This would still need the blessing of Spark.

2. A Buck Offering from SKBlades
We remove the Blade Forum logo, etching, stamp etc, from this knife and SK does what we do best. We facilitate a discussion for a Buck 301/303 with all the options already laid on the table, the two dot stamp being included. SK handles the financial burden, the logistics, and the shipping. This would not be "this year's forum knife" but rather an offering by SK built on the normal polling and discussions we have been doing for the last several years over in the Buck Sub.

I've sat and reflected on the recent thread posts, and talked them over with my business partners, and it makes very little business sense for SK to handle the financial burden (we are the original offerers for funding), logistics, and the risk in honor of what the tradition has been laid out to be. Personally I don't see how making a profit and creating something for the benefit of the community have to be mutually exclusive. We feel as though we offer both to the Buck Forum and have had a blast doing so. Ultimately, SK is a business and paying member of the forum to be so. Although the volunteer tradition is honorable, it is not something we are willing to do for such a large risk. The person or people that have done this in the past are to be given the utmost respect and thanks. The time and labor alone is monumental with such a large risk on the line.

I am all-in for any knife under Option 1. However, that requires "someone who would like to take on the volunteer position for the official Blade Forum Knife" - with only the risk of losing a lot of their own money and (apparently) no chance at all of any reward (profit). IMO it is a miracle that anyone has signed up for that in the past. So I am not optimistic about that option.

I have literally zero interest in Option 2.

Hopefully Spark and sk can come to an agreement where we could all benefit. I have no problem with someone making a profit off the knife, especially if it still comes in around the $100 mark.

I am all-in for any knife under Option 1. However, that requires "someone who would like to take on the volunteer position for the official Blade Forum Knife" - with only the risk of losing a lot of their own money and (apparently) no chance at all of any reward (profit). IMO it is a miracle that anyone has signed up for that in the past. So I am not optimistic about that option.

I have literally zero interest in Option 2.

Be optimistic. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Please allow for changing of votes. This will allow for the debate found within the comments to actually have an affect.

Looking forward to any movement towards a knife and thankful that we have had some already.

I agree. That will definitely be an option.

this is starting to look hopeful -- SKBlades, thank you for your willingness to step up to the plate.
I'm also fine with the idea of a laser etch this year instead of a tang stamp -- especially if we go with stainless, since it won't disappear into the patina over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back