2018 Blade Show Knives - SEE the ENERGY!

'Best of Show' / 'Best Fixed Blade' - Anders Högström - Backaryd, Sweden

This particular knife won the TOP honor over 700 makers and tens of thousands of knives. Anders has quietly been winning admirations for years, and THIS time the took the breath away from the judging field.

Congratulations!

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Brett Noake from Spring, TX brought me a quad of terrific fixed blades. Admire them now:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ricardo Vilar has moved up from So. America to Arkansas, working closely with Jerry Fisk. It's a family effort as his talented wife Renata does all the engraving!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ron Lake is one of my ‘top five’ collectible makers in the World. He visits me any opportunity he has a knife to show, and we’ve become buddies. I get an unannounced box in the mail yesterday and opened it to this note and knife. (He hand scribed his signature on the blade.) It’s from #CoastKnives and is his design in an assisted-opener. It's a ROCKET!

To use the phrase STeven taught us: He's good #KnifePeople

Thank you RON!

large.jpg

(Another 'top five' maker (Wolfe Loerchner) bestowed a gift to me at Solvang. His will get a complete new thread when I get to posting that offering. Needless to say I LOVE this community!)

By the way... I got a VERY surprising and welcome visit from someone only visiting at this year's Blade Show. We spent 10 mins. talking shop before I had to continue my work. I could have chatted for hours.....

Did anyone else see and say hello to Eric Eggly and his son Cameron?

Let's take a visit WAYYYY down south to Buenos Aires Argentina...

The three Sobral Brothers/CAS Knives REALLY take a stand on bold.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Now draw on the FAR NORTH to Alaska to include Adam and Haley Desrosiers in collaboration. (This is an INTEGRAL!)
orig.jpg

Get your #BFBB2108 file folders ready.... ;)

Note: I have replaced ALL prior images with larger ones (1200 wide from 750) for clarity. The forum will shrink them to 1000-pixels wide with the option to expand larger on a PC. I wish they would give an option to compress EVEN smaller, as my mostly-portrait modes can't be seen in one screen view. However when I made them smaller, the clarity was simply mediocre. My clients, my work, and YOU deserve better than 'mediocre'. :thumbsup:

Jerry Fisk is a crowd favorite, and deservedly so. He has the gift of style, experience, teaching ability, AND wit :p, to make for an ALL-STAR package. You will agree right here:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

His game gets better and better. :thumbsup: Thanks, Jerry!

I've been working steadily and have much more to show, but I need to ensure I get maker's approvals first.

Here's a few who have gotten right back to me:

Van Barnett calls this his 'Vader' folder. It is VERY intricate. Love that steel!
orig.jpg

Maggie's dad is ABS-renowned Steve Randall, MS.
orig.jpg

He's partnered with Mark Centofante (The late Frank's C's son) to make current-styled folders. Mark is paying attention to the market with regards to flippers and wider blades.
orig.jpg

Speaking of CURRENT! Michael Zieba is still killing it with his work. This is a smaller version of his collaboration with Jason Knight. Raise your hand if you ALSO want one....! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
orig.jpg

Russell Roosevelt, JS makes a burl handle and lonnnnng blade with a healthy clip.
orig.jpg

Michael West with his unmistakeable style
orig.jpg

Bill Greulich, JS with a fine pair of utilities.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Andrew Blomfield from Australia, show us how much talent he's got!
orig.jpg

When Don Hanson III makes a camp knife chopper, he paints in broad strokes!
Note: I have never, EVER seen a thinner tapered tang. Down to about .010" :D
orig.jpg

When Paul Long elevates with his sheath work, we ALL smile! :)
orig.jpg

Rick Marchand drives his Rat Rod right into the valet parking overpass and flips the attendant the key. "Go for it..!"
orig.jpg

Tad Lynch, MS worked his usual skills, then called on Ian Morrison to give this fighter some extra drama!
orig.jpg

Mike Deibert, JS is making some VERY fine steel. That and the grippiest of stag!
orig.jpg

Last edited:
While you are admiring these knives, I want to tell you a little about my thought process behind shooting them. By every measure it is a HUSTLE to take in work, shoot it, and get it back to the client's table so it remains sellable and visible in person...

So many great makers visit, and I NEED to give their work undivided attention, as well as give each knife their own 'personality'. To do so is to mix up the layouts regularly, as well as distinguish the knives through the backgrounds.

Not every background is perfectly suited to each knife, so I try to make best guess selections. This said, I ALSO try not to have too many duplicates.

It would be imminently easy to shoot each layout in one format (Pointing down to the left, insets positioned the same, etc.) and with a tan background (Works on most everything.) Buddy Thomason and I call that swimming in a 'Sea of Tan'. LOL!

However, I am aware that that common format is a 'proven winner' and the maker may NOT be looking for MY new variety, but wants their knife to look like past winners. At least this is what I tell myself when I stick with the common layout.

Anyway, even though I am pressing for time, I really make sure I TRY to mix it up. And, this is why the work is so hard for me: Every change in layout requires another trip behind the light tent to tweak the lighting to suit. I do NOT let the lights sit overhead in one 'somewhat clear' basking glow. There is drama in highlights to show shapes and textures, and I try to find that perfect position. Moving the strobe 6" one way or another makes a difference, and takes time. I do this ALL the time.

Pointing down or pointing up? LH/RH? Topside? What else does the viewer need to see? I avoid at all costs showing the same side of the knife again and again.

Study the knife and study the images, too. They don't just happen. My images are influential, as were the work of those who preceded me. We learn by studying. I TRY to separate my style from the other's who work in this field. I also give praise to other photographers when warranted. I'm not threatened this will diminish my stature at all.

Buddy Thomason, Eric Eggly, Terrill Hoffman, Cory Martin, Caleb Royer, Mitch Cohen, Francesco Pachi, Chuck Ward & Co., Logan Pearce, Dirk Loots have all produced great work. I have said so openly at times. However I can count only four of them to EVER mention in a post or thread a compliment toward my work (or another's). This is too bad. Imagine if knife makers held their cards so tightly. Sigh.... :(

Back to the visuals!!!!

How cool it is to be able to show the passing ABS JS sets! Here's Josh Lyle from North Carolina with his great set.
orig.jpg

Andrew Griggs from Oklahoma delivers an outstanding set as well!
orig.jpg

KD Knives / Kamil Dlugosz from Poland defines CLEAN! (Friend Michael Zieba prompted him to me. Good stuff!)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

A local maker from Connecticut, Kevin Cross brought me these useful small utility knives.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

John H. Davis from Indiana puts a lot of work into his knives and sheaths. See here!
orig.jpg

Let's go visit a mate! Keith Fludder, JS from Tahmoor, NSW, Australia He's REALLY got his forge working well!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Every time I post a knife by Raphael Durand from Thiers, France he BREAKS the internet! Dreams and grails come to mind.
orig.jpg

How about this modern and sharp folder from Philippe Jourget from France. It's SO tight!
orig.jpg

Facundo Montenegro from Argentina does powerful steel, in a powerful shape, with the power of appeal. Bravo!
orig.jpg

Local BF maker Don Hanson III, MS shines up some 'oldass' mammoth and gives us pause to celebrate!
orig.jpg

Closing today with the preview of NEXT year's CKCA benefit knife for charity auction. Johnny Stout and Alice Carter both donated their work on this folder for an outstanding cause. I hope Ryan or Mary Hayes will give more input on the event and exact cause in the thread.
orig.jpg

Coop

Thanks so much for the awesome images and your commentary as well !

You've done so much to help promote custom knives and those who make them, as well as give credit where it is due - I, for one, really appreciate that...and I'll bet I'm not the only one! Keep up the great work

Bill Flynn

Back