2018 Blade Show Knives - SEE the ENERGY!

If I may, and if I remember correctly, the “molten bronze” look on David Lisch’s knives, is actually gold that David melted and then drizzled/wiped over the wrought iron guards.

I was fortunate to be able to visit with David for a bit and see those beauties in person. Nothing short of amazing.
Mike

Tan Long brought me these two knives and the SHARP lines and fittings are exemplary. He has listed his address in Atlanta.
orig.jpg

When saying NO won't get the results, THIS will.
orig.jpg

ABS Mastersmith time!

John Horrigan, MS proves again and again why he's so dominant. Look at that impossibly tight turkish twist steel and his stunning engraving and sheath work. KaPOW!
orig.jpg

David Lisch, MS is one of THE most creative forces in knife forging. Look at his take on this Scottish (?) blade he calls the 'Rueden Dirk'. All handle carving by him, too.
orig.jpg

He brought a few of these MASSIVELY powerful Bowies for me to shoot. This has an S-coin guard and his special coating. LOOK at the steel and the stag. FTW!
orig.jpg

He wanted separate images of this set. ME? I wanted to KNOCK the viewers eyes out! It's all a bit much. He's added this crazy molten bronze finish onto the steel guards. So rustic, so COOL, so unique. :thumbsup:
orig.jpg

More tomorrow. PLEASE comment on the knives and makers, not me.
Tan Long brought me these two knives and the SHARP lines and fittings are exemplary. He has listed his address in Atlanta.
orig.jpg

When saying NO won't get the results, THIS will.
orig.jpg

ABS Mastersmith time!

John Horrigan, MS proves again and again why he's so dominant. Look at that impossibly tight turkish twist steel and his stunning engraving and sheath work. KaPOW!
orig.jpg

David Lisch, MS is one of THE most creative forces in knife forging. Look at his take on this Scottish (?) blade he calls the 'Rueden Dirk'. All handle carving by him, too.
orig.jpg

He brought a few of these MASSIVELY powerful Bowies for me to shoot. This has an S-coin guard and his special coating. LOOK at the steel and the stag. FTW!
orig.jpg

He wanted separate images of this set. ME? I wanted to KNOCK the viewers eyes out! It's all a bit much. He's added this crazy molten bronze finish onto the steel guards. So rustic, so COOL, so unique. :thumbsup:
orig.jpg

More tomorrow. PLEASE comment on the knives and makers, not me.

thank you Jim such wonderful photos the finish on the bowies is gold melted onto Iron it is my newest technique I have been working on this for over a year now and it does keep getting better thank you again for the great photos

thank you Jim such wonderful photos the finish on the bowies is gold melted onto Iron it is my newest technique I have been working on this for over a year now and it does keep getting better thank you again for the great photos

Well, I’d say you nailed it! It looks awesome like that.

Mert Tansu is from Australia, and has a STRONG sense of what's appropriate for a handmade chef's knife. SO rich! Just LOOK...! (Wait.... wut...?! o_O How did he do that...?)
orig.jpg

Carlo Cavedon hails from Italy and did it ALL: Build and engraving.
orig.jpg

Richard Wu from China did his personalized versions from his company 'Rike Knives'. Amazing quality!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Andrew Smith forged this work-ready tomahawk in superior fashion!
orig.jpg

I was pleased to offer a gift to the CKCA banquet/drawing of a 'portfolio image' for a member. Maker Jim Poling, JS was the fortunate recipient and he makes ME look good! Good work here!
orig.jpg

I didn't get to meet Kelly Vermeer-Vella but when a woman forges such a powerful set of blades she's making a strong statement!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Folding knives!

Enrique Pena can build it all. He got his renown with clean traditionals, but now he's following new directions!
orig.jpg

What a BEAUTIFUL example of the modern folder. Corrado Moro from Italy dazzles the senses with his mechanical mastery. He and his business partner Giovanni are a fixture at the BEST shows in the world.
orig.jpg

Multi-time Blade Show Tactical Award winner Brian Nadeau has a pair of new swept designs to choose from.
orig.jpg

Chris J. Smith shows how similar AND diverse his designs can be.
orig.jpg

Tobin Hill from Texas with his trapper stands along with other makers from this RICH traditional area! (Where else do you have this classic a line from a single area? Laguiole?)
orig.jpg

Also now from Texas is veteran maker Steve Hill (formerly from New England). He's been a nice friend of mine since many years ago.
orig.jpg

Fixed knives!

The Journeyman test set is a favorite display I get the opportunity (privilege!) to capture for many makers.

Here young Jordan Lamothe demonstrates his top-tier skills. He won the Best JS Knife award for the S-guard fighter, and you may recall he clobbered them as a CHAMP on Forged in Fire.
orig.jpg

BF standout Nathan Carothers knives have such appeal, a noted collector brought this to me. See why!
orig.jpg

This one made me SMILE! Cass Stanford forged this unusual horizontal tang knife. This has it all: Good looks, unusual design, and superb workmanship.
orig.jpg

Have you met Tom Ward? He a big guy with a bigger smile, and even larger sense of artistry. Anything I have handled from him, is unusually fine!
orig.jpg

He's made hawks before and they BLOW UP my Instagram page with 'likes'. This will post soon. We'll see!
orig.jpg

When the President of the ABS, Harvey Dean, brings you a piece, you treat it special. I found an unusual background and tried an unusual layout. I was VERY pleased with this and for him!
orig.jpg

Beautiful knives and images. All I can't afford, but many I would love to own

Thanks for the images Coop

DON

Butch and Shanon Deveraux are longtime visitors to our Blade studio. His work is characteristic of his mentor Ed Fowler, and just as effective. They handle impressively in the grip.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Marshall Hall liked this image so much he ran off with the large file and created a POSTER for his shop. :thumbsup: There's a LOT of richness with that mammoth tooth and Reitveld dragon steel.
orig.jpg

'Best Miniature Award' goes to Toshiaki Michinaka for that darling pearl folder. ALL of them took my admirations!
orig.jpg

The talent which came from Argentina this year was VERY impressive. Here's Mauricio Daletzky with his integral 'Criollo' knife. Just stunning!
orig.jpg

It looked SO good in the scabbard, I had to show it this way as well.
orig.jpg

Gary Creely brought us this great little utility. Note the colored thread in the sheath! I so rarely position a horizontal knife, but on this day I took an exception.
orig.jpg

Bill Kennedy Jr. teamed up with Paul Markow to create a fine pair of slip-joint folders. That sheephorn looks warm and inviting!
orig.jpg

Jason Magruder took us all by surprise with this selection of his clever neck knife. That's a strong magnet holding them in the felt-lined cavity.
orig.jpg

Dwight Phillips, MS stands out with this wire fluted dagger. Well done!
orig.jpg

Chuck Schuette now lives in Florida (from Maryland) He presented this difficult bowie with his 'Stellar Sea Cow' gudon bone handle.
orig.jpg

All the way over from NSW Australia came Barry Kennedy, to nail his ABS test set. Hurrah!
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Rick I. Poirier from Canada capitalizes on his 'RIP' initials with notably scary work!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Chris Sharp brought me a large pouch FILLED with folders. "Choose one or two which works for you." One glance inside: How about ALL of them!
orig.jpg

His skills certainly aren't limited to folders. He's paying attention on his BIG bowie!
orig.jpg

I'd like to show you how cool now-USA resident Dirk Loots is. He's come over from South Africa and moved to Atlanta with photography and maker aspirations. He credits Bertie Rietveld with his knife making inspirations, and allows he's been admiring my work for years and years. Look at his knife and photo:
xlarge.jpg

His work is easy to view and VERY characteristic. He's as nice a fellow I've ever met and completely humble and gracious. He does not view me as a 'competitor' (nor do I to him).

He WANTED me to shoot his knife. Happy to pay the fee. I had to work hard to match his fine work, so I made SURE I took it in a non-comparable direction! LOL!
orig.jpg

I hope you will keep him on your radar. He works hard at his skills!

My VERY last project at Blade was this. I waited till the knives were done.

Trae Gaenzel is a madman with his machinist skills, and makes this useful tool for traditional folders for blade lock precision. (His website: metalheadtools.com) I shot a series of images for his website, Facebook, and Instagram.

orig.jpg

That's it. I have one more knife I'll post in a few days which is a studio reshoot from a maker. If the client isn't happy, I'M not happy!

In closing, I hope you have been inspired and delighted by this trip. The makers are simply AMAZING. I started in 2007 by paying for a room at Blade and it has served me (and YOU) well for 11 years. I have seen the talent and skill level grow and grow. The internet had hastened this process, obviously.

A final salute to MY clients who supported our studio, and I give them back as much as I can in a timely manner:

• ALL of these images are now on my Knife Gallery Website.
  • ALL of them have been printed and mailed to clients in the USA and internationally.
  • ALL of them have been posted here on Bladeforums.
  • ALL of them WILL be posted on my Instagram with links to find the makers (88,000 followers and growing!)
  • ALL of them will be distributed to Editors in the US and Internationally.

Why would you choose differently? :D We thank you.

Coop, Susan, Trevor & Maggie.

Encore....!

Inevitably, I missed a few. it's hard to keep track doing it in stages.

Ken Hall, JS brought a variety of styles and genre's to Atlanta.
orig.jpg

He certainly has his way with a forge. LOOK at the steel!
orig.jpg

One of the hardest types of knives to create. Superb!
orig.jpg

New maker Paul Distefano will test for JS soon. Right now he's getting it right, with wrought iron and a KILLER hamon!
orig.jpg

It's great to exit to applause! :)

Still more! I am remiss in simply not uploading a valuable maker's images, and then missing their posts. :(

Work of this quality needs to be seen PROUDLY!

Brian Hoese from San Antonio, Texas is a fairly new maker, yet he's working HARD to gain stature. These two examples show how well he's doing. :thumbsup:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Matt Gregory is a fan favorite around Bladeforums. he's posted this one in his own thread, and it's part of this show as well. ALWAYS, always, always well done!
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis Friedly and Ray Cover Jr collaborated on this sleek 'California gold rush' spearpoint. This is going to raise your eyebrows: The marble was created out of a fragment of the palace of Saddam Hussein, delivered by the US military (Blade magazine article to follow!)
orig.jpg

Whatever Sam Lurquin, MS brings, he DELIVERS! This time its a collaboration with sculpting artist Serge Raoux
orig.jpg

Holy moly!!!!
orig.jpg

Mardi Meshejian asked me if I had time and the space for one of his wild creations. I will ALWAYS make time for him. This was the largest piece I shot at the show. BIG chopper, big skill!
orig.jpg

When it comes to pure elegance in folding knives, I will point to Larry Newton as a leader. This is an auto and he does ALL the embellishments.
orig.jpg

Corin Urquhart came from Australia with this historical 'Barrel knife'. He brought a 100-yr-old example and showed me how it works. Press the tab and the insert comes out. Choose your blade. See the little tab and slot which locate them both. SO cool!
orig.jpg

Last year at the NYCKS in November Ron Lake brought me this PILE of unfinished scales and materials. All glued and rough.... He said "Let's show the process and I"ll send it to you when done."
orig.jpg

And THAT, my friends is how the transformation can occur. This is the SAME knife. (Sold for $$$$ big dollars, too. Investment grade!)
orig.jpg

Back