2018 Forum Knife. The first poll

Which maker?

• Buck 301. Choose. 2/3 blades, grind, steel: 420, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV; handle mat'l,

Votes: 267 73.6%
  • GEC 14 in 1095. Choose: drawn/cut swedge, plain/lined bolster Single or Two Blade Jack

Votes: 96 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't voted yet but I will. Just wanted to stop in and say thank you to Mike, Steve, Gary, Frank, Leslie, Dadpool, and everyone else who contributed to making this year's forum knife a reality.

Thanks so much, guys!

+! :thumbsup: Well done folks :thumbsup:

knarfeng knarfeng - Frank, just asking for a word of clarification. I noticed you mentioned 440c in your post, but it's not mentioned in the poll options. Thanks :thumbsup:

It’s come down to this! Thanks to all those who have labored and offered service to this project! I’m abstaining since I may not be buying, but it looks like Buck is running away with the race at this point.

After all of the enthusiasm instigated by the efforts of some exceptional forum members, I'm excited at the prospect of a Buck.

I really think we could swing both, but i voted for Buck just because its nice to see a new player in the game and the GEC 14 pattern is not really one I favor,

Buck
2 or 3 blade
CPM-154 or 440C blades
Long Pull
Full Flat Ground
Brass bolsters (Nickel Silver is standard)
Don't know yet which cover, since I don't know what all the options are.

I voted Buck as I want a stainless steel option. The 2 blade FFG. Also I have way more GEC in my collection now so it is good to mix it up a bit.

,,,Mike in Canada

Buck/stockman sounds pretty good to me for the 2018 forum knife. I don't own a large stockman knife. My second knife (after my Cub Scout Camillus) was a Buck lockback and I haven't owned one since.

I also think that introducting a new maker into this process will be a good thing. More choices make for a healthier marketplace and all that jazz.

Also saying thank you to the persons on all sides who have taken up this task and run with it. Let's continue to say thanks by keeping upcoming discussions civil and smooth. The compromises we may make along the way can help ensure they will offer their services in future forum knife efforts.

I went with Buck, it is time to change things up! Thanks to everyone who got us here!!

Qnk9Pxj.jpg

I've cast my vote for Buck. While the 301 wouldn't be my choice if I was making the purchase from the custom shop, I'm willing to run with it...though the results of votes-to-come could curtail my interest. (When/if I'm out, I'll stop voting)

Since this vote is solely focused on determining whether Buck or GEC will be doing this year's forum knife, I'm not going to list the rest of my choices.
It will be interesting to see the options offered for handle materials.

Will future polls indicate the upcharge for various options? Using Buck as an example, when the blade steel and handle material polls happen, it would be nice to know, when voting, what we're doing to the cost of the end knife. It can be done with the common format 420HC (+$0), 154CM (+$7), S35vn (+15), CPM20CV (+$20)
This is even more important with handle materials, with the custom shop listing upcharges as high as $92.
*please note - the numbers used in this example are somewhat arbitrary...I am not suggesting that these are the actual upcharges.
I think that some might choose to minimize upcharges, some to moderate them...and others will simply focus on creating their favorite knife, cost be darned.

I'm hoping for a design that incorporates the American flag, a shell case, abalone and natural micarta (that's the blade etch) and then something ornate for the handles.

The Buck option gives us a chance to get something quite special and not otherwise available. The #14 option will be available in a variety of clothes even without choosing it as the forum knife. Buck 301 is an iconic traditional knife, made even better with our special options. Buck all the way.

+! :thumbsup: Well done folks :thumbsup:

knarfeng knarfeng - Frank, just asking for a word of clarification. I noticed you mentioned 440c in your post, but it's not mentioned in the poll options. Thanks :thumbsup:

I'll answer for Frank, Jack. There weren't enough characters to list them all, so the 440C is only shown listed in the description. It's one of the available choices.

Back