2018 Forum Knife. The first poll

Which maker?

• Buck 301. Choose. 2/3 blades, grind, steel: 420, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV; handle mat'l,

Votes: 267 73.6%
  • GEC 14 in 1095. Choose: drawn/cut swedge, plain/lined bolster Single or Two Blade Jack

Votes: 96 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buck, Buck, Bucky Buck.

Though I'm afraid I'll be very out of the bidding if it's a hollow grind. CPM154 would do me fine and I'll be fine with either two or three blades.

Last edited:
Buck, FFG, 2-blades. A hollow grind would be a deal breaker. A third blade would not. The ideal combo for me would be a clip with a long sheepsfoot, Hawbaker style, although I already have that base pretty well covered with the RR Improved Muskrat.

I decided to go with Buck. It will be nice to have something stainless. I would be happy with S35VN and ironwood.

I voted for the Buck 301. The chance to have a forum knife that is in stainless and completely unique is hard to pass up. Think it would be a great knife no matter the configuration, be something everyone would be proud to use and show off.

I pondered this some before making a decision.

I am, unabashedly, a fan of GEC and the knives they produce. I also like the 14, and even though it is on the diminutive side of things for me, it is still a useful companion to a much larger single blade knife with the 2-blade variant being far more palatable than the single blade versions. Though I would certainly agree with the others, the secondary should be something unique, such as a caplifter or punch, even a small coping blade would be nice. I will say that I am intrigued by the idea of a shield on a 14 though.

The current run of 15s that are on the schedule include an M&G SFO that is a 2 blade jack with a Federal Shield. This is simply fantastic and this will likely be the first M&G I attempt to acquire, it will possess an exquisitely classic look and I am really looking forward to it. If the same concept was applied to the 14 as a forum SFO, I might be inclined to sway in that direction.

However, with all of that said...

I voted for Buck.

Though there are a few things that stand out to me in regards to the Buck offering, the one thing that really sold me is something that knarfeng knarfeng said in the previous 2018 Forum Knife thread that I think has since been moved offline. He mentioned something along the lines that a Buck that is produced in their custom shop typically meets or exceeds the F&F and craftsmanship that we have come to attribute to GEC and that we should expect a fine knife to be produced if we go that route.

This paired with the flexibility of options available and the opportunity for Buck to really please the crowd are what tipped the scales for me. I am a bit indifferent when it comes to steel choices, 1095 suits me just fine for my daily needs and if I need anything tougher, I have plenty of options at my disposal. However, I think the steel we choose should be something that will allow for the BF stamp, as I think that is an important part of the tradition and it would be a shame to skip a year. Otherwise, I will wait to voice my other preferences until the next polls are available.

So, here I am, raising a glass (currently filled with the blackest of coffee) and wishing Buck all the best, they have my vote this year. Many thanks to Frank and Gary for keeping us in line and getting things back on track. Many thanks as well to everyone who has pitched in to help, @Dadpool, @Leslie Tomville, @skblades, @knifeswapper (if I have forgotten anyone, please forgive me). Also, a very heartfelt thanks to Charlie and Barry for all of their past efforts, your absence has shown a spotlight on everything you guys have endured and worked on to make these special knives come to fruition.

I voted for Buck as a full sized stockman in good stainless is always a winner for me and the 14 pattern GEC is too small for my tastes. However, I will purchase whichever option is voted in simply to support the hard work and effort that has been put forth by those involved.
Much appreciated fellers!

As a long time Buck owner and a Buck collector (not sure how many I own) I was excited from the beginning to see the Buck Knife Co. be seriously in the running for the first time ever- of course I voted Buck. I will say I own at least a dozen GEC knives and will own more - they make a great knife too and I'd be proud to own another. OH

An upgraded, custom 301 will be great.

No doubt I will still buy at least one 2018 GEC 14 and one 15, but if a good handle material is selected the Buck 301 will be a very special knife.

I think it’s pretty neat that Buck will take time to do this for the forum.

I haven't voted yet but I will. Just wanted to stop in and say thank you to Mike, Steve, Gary, Frank, Leslie, Dadpool, and everyone else who contributed to making this year's forum knife a reality.

Thanks so much, guys!

Absolutely. Thanks to each of them.

Myself, I voted Buck. I'm ready to see something different and this sounds like it will be a unique knife on a familiar pattern.

I'm all for the 3 blade, FFG, Long Pull 301 in a fancy stainless with Elk, Bone, Ebony, Micarta, or Delrin...... sounds good to me.

Excited for Buck just for a change of pace.
Especially custom shop quality.
Hoping for a 2 blade ffg.
MANY thanks to all those putting in the effort to see this through!

I have stopped buying new knives but a 2-blade Buck 301 with FFG and premium steel, depending on handle material, might drag me out of knife-buying moratorium one more time.

Hear Hear John well said I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have been and checked the Buck Custom Knife Shop. I have seen all sorts of knives to be customized. But nowhere a 301... This is a silly question, but can we sure get a customized 301? :oops:

I have been and checked the Buck Custom Knife Shop. I have seen all sorts of knives to be customized. But nowhere a 301... This is a silly question, but can we sure get a customized 301? :oops:

Should we go the Buck route, @skblades has been working as our liaison with Buck. The 301 option has been confirmed, and the fact that it isn’t available to the public through the custom shop is part of what would make it such a special 2018 forum knife!

Thanks to the magic of @skblades, yes we can. In my mind that is one of the best reasons to go for the Buck offering. SK was able to get us a chance at a 303/301, and those are not options usually available for custom shop orders. So these will be quite unique, even though they come from a pretty major American cutler. Also, since this is apparently going to be a pay upfront when you preorder kind of deal, these really won't be available to the broader market. If the effort is a success, maybe Buck might do something similar again (or SK might order another run in the future), but in the meantime, this would be a knife just for us.

Thanks to all those who and involved with making this happen.

As a long time Buck fan boy, mostly fixed blade and lock back, I look forward to having something very unique. Some years ago the BCCI(Buck Collectors Club) had a 301 special run with BG-42 and white scales. I missed on the intial offering and on it's after market sale several times.

I voted, of course, Buck. I won't miss on this one. Preston

Back