2018 Forum Knife. The first poll

Which maker?

• Buck 301. Choose. 2/3 blades, grind, steel: 420, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV; handle mat'l,

Votes: 267 73.6%
  • GEC 14 in 1095. Choose: drawn/cut swedge, plain/lined bolster Single or Two Blade Jack

Votes: 96 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree, wintermute. I think the 2-blade option would be very nice, given that all blades have their own spring. A full clip with long pull, and a sheepfoot with nail nick at the opposite end would be lighter, thinner, and less money than a full stockman. The unique factor would be there as well, especially in CPM154 with nice covers and the BladeForums tang stamp.

well, after careful consideration and research - looking at the Buck and GEC website and at the big auction site - over 6,500 Buck knives for sale and less than 300 GEC's - OH posted a pic of his great looking Buck fixed blade collection and found most all of them available on the auction site - I find it difficult to pass up the best production knife made, and just can't afford to buy a knife that will soon find its' way to the bottom of the knife box... vote GEC

Wow, the various polls did not go the way I thought they would. It is sure looking like the Buck 301 in some form will be the next Fourm Knife.

Wow, the various polls did not go the way I thought they would. It is sure looking like the Buck 301 in some form will be the next Fourm Knife.
I wasn't sure which I expected to lead I think I maybe was figuring more favoring Buck this year given the circumstances with the GEC offering however I did not expect what looks to be a rather significant lead in favor of Buck.

well, after careful consideration and research - looking at the Buck and GEC website and at the big auction site - over 6,500 Buck knives for sale and less than 300 GEC's - OH posted a pic of his great looking Buck fixed blade collection and found most all of them available on the auction site - I find it difficult to pass up the best production knife made, and just can't afford to buy a knife that will soon find its' way to the bottom of the knife box... vote GEC

Just for some perspective, Buck does produce over 1 million knives a year, and has been producing them for many years. In that context, the numbers make sense.

I’m leaning more towards the buck but I do find it odd that we’re pretty much just recreating the ‘15 forum knife. Same pattern, same blade selection, stainless steel. Obviously there are some differences. It just strikes me as kind of odd. While I typically prefer a two bladed knife(and clip and sheepsfoot is my preference) I am kind of leaning towards the full stockman just to keep things slightly more diversified.
0ktai9y.jpg

This was my favorite forum knife and the only one I ever really connected with, so in the end I won’t be too upset if we produce something similar.

While I typically prefer a two bladed knife(and clip and sheepsfoot is my preference) I am kind of leaning towards the full stockman just to keep things slightly more diversified.

Totally agree with this - would love to see a full stockman in the annual knife lineup! As nice as a 2 bladed knife on the 301 frame would be for EDC, we've already had several 2-bladed forum knives. Some divergence from this trend would be awesome!

Just for some perspective, Buck does produce over 1 million knives a year, and has been producing them for many years. In that context, the numbers make sense.
good point SK - a great selection of Buck Knives are available anytime, everywhere...

If we go full Stockman I'd love to see a punch instead of the spey. Actually, I'd love to see that period, although I'm just fine with a two-blade Stockman. If we do go with a standard 301, I wonder if Buck can make it a two-spring knife like they did in the old days? The three-spring design leaves me a bit cold ...

Edit to say - I went and looked at the specs and the three-spring is about the same thickness as the old two-spring. I can live with that.

Last edited:
buck 301
2-blade, clip and sheep/wharn (straight edge and blade with belly)
any of the steels above 440c, 20cv would be more unique
Full flat grind
brass bolsters with wood scales, silver bolsters with other materials, preference to silver with micarta handles

I’m leaning more towards the buck but I do find it odd that we’re pretty much just recreating the ‘15 forum knife. Same pattern, same blade selection, stainless steel. Obviously there are some differences. It just strikes me as kind of odd. While I typically prefer a two bladed knife(and clip and sheepsfoot is my preference) I am kind of leaning towards the full stockman just to keep things slightly more diversified.
0ktai9y.jpg

This was my favorite forum knife and the only one I ever really connected with, so in the end I won’t be too upset if we produce something similar.

Unfortunately my BF 2015 was pretty badly made and I even made a loss selling it. I'd been really hoping it would have been the 'one'. I would be quite happy to see if Buck can manage to provide that for me. That said I'd be as happy with 3 blades, a regular stockman. Never owned one before. Either and I'll be happy.

The Buck 301 is great knife but be aware it has fairly light pull and not a real brisk snap. It's ok with me.
k8M0sU3.jpg

The Buck 301 is great knife but be aware it has fairly light pull and not a real brisk snap. It's ok with me.
k8M0sU3.jpg
Gorgeous! :) Too bad she's no more available, same for the red. And that shield is much prettier than the standard hammer and anvil.

0ktai9y.jpg

I'm for a full on stockman. I don't understand why people don't give the spey the respect it deserves. It's an awesome blade.

So we have over 250 votes in so that bodes well for an order of 250 if the interest continues. With about a 4 to 1 ratio for the Buck choice I was wondering if we should just move on to the next poll? I know this poll is supposed to close out next Tuesday but perhaps based on the current standings can we assume the outcome now?

Just askin'?

,,,Mike in Canada

Back