2018 Gardening, Landscaping, and Plants

Made the wife two flower pots for Mothers Day this year, they are finally filling in very nicely. Also planted four tomato plants this year. They started out really well but have been hardly doing squat the last couple of weeks, been raining and hardly any sun. Excuse my lawn, it is almost all weeds. If I wasn’t renting I’d care more about my grass.

View attachment 938321 View attachment 938322

Planters are beauties! Weeds here are green too, but taller :D

Murphjd25: I suspect your tomato pots are too small. Think "half whiskey barrel" size..... The flowers look great! My Ace hardware store locally sells these big pots that hold about 2 cu ft of potting soil. They buy them and then cut more holes for drainage and make wonderful tomato planters. They aren't expensive (~$10 ea) and are very utilitarian (which is just fine with me for tomatoes.) Once you have them you can keep re-using. I have been using them for the last couple of years and keep adding a couple each year.

The other thing I have learned to do since my planters are on my wood deck is to elevate the planters above the deck to help keep the deck dry under the pots and not encourage rotting. Think bricks.... I found these rubber like edgers for about $3 each at Walmart that are just a little bigger than a standard fire brick. I place the plants (container) on two of these. They apparently don't sell well as every time I try to buy a couple it turns into a computer code fiasco....

Last edited:
Taldesta. I definitely have powdery mildew problems (PM) with squash and zinnias.I believe it's PM on that degrades the zinnias...

I'd definitely say one or more raccoons have discovered your feeders. They will eventually tear up the wire mesh sunflower feeders and they aren't cheap. I started taking my sunflower feeders in at night (actually placing in a metal garbage can on my deck) over night and re-hang in the morning. Plastic doesn't work long as they chew holes into the plastic garbage cans.

Taldesta. If you have Sam's Clubs in your area, take a look at their mixed bird seed. It's a good mix. I am nearly convinced to switch. My sister gives me a bag or two at Christmas.... you know how presents are for "older folks". My previous mixed seed never has enough sunflower seeds and I add about 50% sunflower seeds to the mix. Still a work in progress with the Sam's Club bird seed....

Taldesta. If you have Sam's Clubs in your area, take a look at their mixed bird seed. It's a good mix. I am nearly convinced to switch. My sister gives me a bag or two at Christmas.... you know how presents are for "older folks". My previous mixed seed never has enough sunflower seeds and I add about 50% sunflower seeds to the mix. Still a work in progress with the Sam's Club bird seed....

Re: gifts for "older folks" - wouldn't know anything about that ! :D

Sam's is not familiar to me ... I am picking feed up in bulk separately most recently ... and placing it with some thought as to how each critter will take their chow. Mostly mixed and a little sunflower seed spread out on the ground for the doves, grackles, jays, chipmunks, squirrels, sparrows and others ... but keeping sunflower seed concentrated in three feeders so that the rose breasted grosbeaks, chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers ... the more shy guys ... can eat in peace - sometimes. I had to stop placing suet because of the grackle families appetite for them. I know it is the animals that take most of the seed. That's ok with me.

I really like the idea of taking in the feeders overnight - smart idea. Even if they are emptied, they attract unwanted visitors.

Master of the open beak squawk and wing flap - feed me - baby jay making sure everybody knows he is hungry.

DSCF0585 BLUE JAY BABY HUNGRY 750 MED.jpg

The chipmunk leap is comical. They launch themselves from the watering can to the sunflower seed feeder in a flash. Yesterday I was recording and one leaned in to drink and fell in, then righted himself and carried on.

DSCF0667 CHIPMUNK WATERCAN 750 MED.jpg

For the sunflowers just emerging now, I must thank the squirrel - a gardener in his own right who likely does not know where he planted anything. I only transplanted three that I found to the boulder garden that edges the lawn.

DSCF0655 SUNFLOWER EMERGING 750 MED.jpg

Thunbergia, both regular and heritage blooms mixed, are just taking off and should cover this twig trellis with colour until frost.

DSCF0649 THUNBERGIA PLANTER 750 MED.jpg

DSCF0644 THUNBERGIA CLOSE 750 MED.jpg

Happy gardening all :cool: Stay cool

You guys have all been doing so much it makes me feel bad. I just got back from a month on the road for work to find the grass going brown but my lilies, which I thought all died last year after the rain drowned them, doing pretty well. This side of the house doesn't get a lot of visitors other than me, but I like it. It's usually got something in bloom from February thru September. Now the Hyacinth and lilies are getting ready to pop and the tree - like thing in the back will soon but out in tons of little pink flowers that the bees can't get enough of.

a9OAXeb.jpg

Well, I've been in my place 5 years now. I was just going over some pictures of the changes, and thought I'd share a couple with you guys. It shows (at least to me) a little sweat and patience and stuff will pay off.

Here's a shot from when I bought he place. This is the northwest corner of the back yard (which is about 14000 sq ft.).
pkk4oDZ.jpg

The trees on the left were cherries which had never been trimmed and were 20' + tall. They made a mess, and most of that fell in the pool. The pool was too small to swim in, and pretty expensive to maintain, so it lasted a year and then had to go. The gravel ran the entire south property line as a driveway and pad for the parking of the previous owners boat and RV. The shed was on a wood platform that was rotted away, and behind it was the old wood pile. The wood was so punky it almost fell apart.

Clearing the trees, shed, and other stuff took the better part of a year. Then I had to start replacing the fence as it was so rotted it fell over in a storm. This corner of the yard got raised up a little over 2' with a retaining wall as I put in the fence. The space where the pool was got a retaining wall and a gravel bed, using gravel from the removal of the pad. Another shed on the south side got moved and the driveway got shortened by about 30'. That was most of 2014 and 2015.

zlgjPDt.jpg

2016 saw the completion of the fire circle where the pool had been and the addition of 25 yards of fill and topsoil to level out the apace. Some of the plants started going in as I tried to plan on what I wanted it to look like. The major emphasis being on concealing the fence line, using mostly native plants, and making it fairly low maintenance while attracting bees and birds.

dsCdBL3.jpg

Today it's mostly showing what plants are going to survive and fill in, and what didn't. I figure about 1/3 of the stuff I've planted didn't work. Some got too much water, some not enough, and some I cannot figure out why they didn't take. I have plans for the rest of the yard, some of which is pretty much done, and some a long way off. But I have my space, it keeps me busy, and I can sit outside in my own little park and enjoy thinking it's better than it used to be.

n8KgKJD.jpg

So if you ever get to thinking things aren't going fast enough, take a look back at the changes you've wrought. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Eisman: The changes are amazing and I can see that you have put a lot of hard work into the place. I love your picture of the one corner with the daylillies and so forth (your post #249). I enjoy looking at some old photos and seeing the changes in primarily tree growth. I have a Japanese Maple in my front yard in a shrub bed (the center piece) that was a moderated sized one (expensive even 15 years ago). It has turned into quite a nice tree and the shrubs still look good and not too oversized. I chose varieties that don't grow so tall and I have done very little trimming on them to this point. The shrubs are just getting to the point I need to start wacking on them.

Well, I've been in my place 5 years now. I was just going over some pictures of the changes, and thought I'd share a couple with you guys. It shows (at least to me) a little sweat and patience and stuff will pay off.

What a transformation! Dialup wouldn't download this page at all with your pics so I am at the public library using their wifi just now, late to comment ... and I want to say how much all the work and planning you've invested in your property - shows big time. What a retreat to come home to after your travels.

Before and after ... from a house to a home ... it's been great following along in this thread especially at your new digs :thumbsup:

Some of the begonias have gone to a friend, and 10 pots remaining are now on the deck, shaded from the afternoon sun, The sun tolerant coleus is a surprising favourite among the annuals this year.

DSCF0982 COLEUS DECK THUNBERGIA 750 MED.jpg

Potatoes ad tomatoes are doing well ... fencing helps :D

DSCF0938 POTATOES 750 MED.jpg

DSCF0937 BETTER BOY TOMATOES 750 MED.jpg

Nasturtiums are getting big ... With chipmunks, you are never truly alone!

DSCF0958 CHIPMUNK STANDING 750 MED.jpg

Now that the bee balm is out, the hummingbirds are a lot more visible.

DSCF0968 BOULDER GARDEN BEE BALM HOLLYHOCK 750 MED.jpg

Red hot cattails (chenille - variety firetail) adds more unique reds - lighting up the gardens

DSCF0979 RED HOT CATTAILS BEE BALM SUNFLOWER 750 MED.jpg

Wow1 I could get used to wifi :)

Attachments

• DSCF0972 LAWN BEE BALM SUNFLOWER PETUNIAS 750 MED.jpg
    DSCF0972 LAWN BEE BALM SUNFLOWER PETUNIAS 750 MED.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1
Back