2018 Gardening, Landscaping, and Plants

Hope it makes it. Maybe you can keep it inside your house all winter because it isn't fit enough for the southward migration. I think their primary food are insects.

Lots of rain here today. It just keeps going and going. Already 3" has fallen.

Now you know why my wife brought home the kittens. They are reeking havoc all over the house but especially with our other cats. They are growing quickly. One of five died. Apparently it's stitches from spading came undone. That was kind of sad.

Sorry about the kitten ... and yes, I understand completely your wife's choice over bringing home the litter :thumbsup:.

The tiny hummingbird is flying about in bursts so his strength is gaining ... but the feathers are in terrible shape. When he preens you can see the skin on the skinniest little neck in the world. He doesn't seem to recognize the feeder at all as a food source, nor does he attempt to feed from the fresh flowers (can't hover) but regularly flies in short bursts to the eyedropper that is fixed to a perch - it was used to revive him. Just outside his window he sees all the chickadees, nuthatches, jays and others - I see he wants to go with them. Maybe in the spring if all goes well. Doing my best.

Eventually if you keep it, it has to have some sort of protein. Can't just live on sugar water. Quite a challenge.

Years ago, one of my brothers had a rattlesnake that had a fang become infected. He stuck a penicillin pill inside a mouse and believe it or not, the infection went away after the snake ate the mouse. Eventually he had to get rid of them as they were at the school he teaches at and the school decided it wasn't safe to have poisonous snakes inside the school. I don't blame them.

Yes, the protein is the challenge. Small flying insects - yikes. The local wild bird rescue will be a resource for info with any luck. I have soy protein powder and was hoping for something simple like that because I've researched to find that the available crickets and mealy worms aren't palatable. I know the large grocery stores are carrying cricket flour. I am eyeing a small, calm nest of paper wasps in the shed - but these guys are so big for such a little bird! Salt, protein and other minerals ... busy on this. He is right this moment venturing into the bouquet of nasturtium blossoms for the first time ... and now on a piece of bark on the floor ... these are good signs that he is seeking various foods. I must find a solution while his strength and interest are this good. Last night I was out collecting spider webs hoping to find some small insects captive ... but over wintering will need a stable, acceptable source and that's the quest of this moment.

Canna Lilly. They come in various shades of red or orange or yellow. They are perennials.
Thanks my neighbor didn't even know they were there they were covered with stones , when she removed them they started growing , must be pretty hardy.

Four different peppers shown? Because I know nothing of peppers other than the few common sweet peppers, so what are the differences and what are the poblones like? Nice harvest, LEGION and, of course, basil right to the end of season :thumbsup:

Four different peppers shown? Because I know nothing of peppers other than the few common sweet peppers, so what are the differences and what are the poblones like? Nice harvest, LEGION and, of course, basil right to the end of season :thumbsup:
Those are common green peppers at the top jalapenos to the left , which came out pretty spicy this time . Banana peppers to the right pretty mild great for stuffing , we stuff them with ground Italian sausage and cheese then fry them . the poblanos are also pretty mild we either make chili rellenos with those or roast them and make chili cheese tamales. Banana pepper casserole .

Those are common green peppers at the top jalapenos to the left , which came out pretty spicy this time . Banana peppers to the right pretty mild great for stuffing , we stuff them with ground Italian sausage and cheese then fry them . the poblanos are also pretty mild we either make chili rellenos with those or roast them and make chili cheese tamales. Banana pepper casserole .
Now, that's a mouth-watering pepper dish ... thanks :)

I'd be making chili rellenos; one of my favorite foods.

Got some hatch chili pesto last night from a friend who's a chef. She made a bunch but it's too spicy for her. Just right for me. Eggs with chili pesto for breakfast!

Something tells me that the hummingbirds departed today from my yard. I saw them this morning and then after lunch and late afternoon when they are normally very active.... no sightings... will update if I am wrong.

My peppers have been going to waste for the most part. Just out of the mood to use them...... need to change that.

Last edited:
Tomatoes are still producing here ... just enough for every day - sweet million, better boy and beefsteak. Not for much longer, though.

Although the little hummingbird looks quite pitiful here in a pic on the 27th, he is gaining strength - now flying, eating, pooping and grooming a lot ... taking in both homemade nectar now (switched from the commercial) and bug bits in several forms. Freeze dried crickets, grasshoppers and mealworms come out of the magic bullet in a sort of bug dust that forms well into appealing little bugs that dangle and move ... which do interest him.

I may never enjoy another smoothie again :D

DSCF2327 HUMMINGBIRD SUPS NECTAR 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2335 HUMMINGBIRD EATS FROM WIRE BUG 750 MED.jpg

It is clear that he is sampling the little 'bugs' with his long tongue and repeatedly taking in bits as he is doing this. Also in one of the medicine droppers is a solution of fresh nectar and bug dust. He favours this over plain nectar a lot of the time. I am still seeking a protein supplement that gives me a better idea of quantity of protein the bird is taking in ... and I would like something balanced with minerals and vitamins for a hummingbird. Research on dialup not all that helpful. I have three good books from the library. Lots of info re how their tongues work, that they are nectar-fueled bug-eating machines ... but no formula for captive hummingbird nutrition yet. Anybody got anything on this? There is one more local rehabber here that I have to contact.

DSCF2362 HUMMINGBIRD GROOMS SMALL BUG 750 MED.jpg

Mites and parasites ... it may be a long road ... or a short one ... but I am working for the best.

DSCF2399 HUMMINGBIRD PERCH BUG DROPPER BUG 750 MED.jpg

He has no interest whatsoever in the live mealworms offered :eek:

You might try adding a little agave nectar to your liquid feed. A friend of mine recommends this and she's got lots of them at her place. Mine are still here, and very interested in the few blooms I still have and both feeders. They get within a foot of me to let me know to back off.

I've been pruning and weed pulling and trying to get ready for winter. Planted a couple hundred tulips, and these are supposed to be ones that "naturalize". I'm not digging them up this time.

Vt09S6Q.jpg

The mesh will, I hope, keep the cats out of the bed. They love the fact I don't have a dog. Only guy around who doesn't. Put in a few more Hostas in the shady corner. The black mondo grass and ferns seem to finally be at home. Wish I could say the same for the small spruce, but the redwood is going gangbusters.

wTkT1v1.jpg

Also finally go the deck and it's cover pressure washed and put up the lights I've had waiting since spring to do. They really make it nice come sundown.

nDaf7AA.jpg

It's raining now and days are getting shorter. We had a pretty good summer this year.

Very welcoming outdoor living space there, eisman ... you'll be doubly happy next spring for having put the work in this fall.

I have some agave and will definitely try it - thanks.

Edited to add: Have sourced a complete food - my daughter on high speed found it. I hope it arrives quickly but standard shipping was the only option.

Last edited:
Something tells me that the hummingbirds departed today from my yard. I saw them this morning and then after lunch and late afternoon when they are normally very active.... no sightings... will update if I am wrong.
As an update, I have continued to see two female ruby throated hummingbirds coming to my feeder. All the males and most of the females are gone. I have kept fresh sugar water available for them in two feeders.

Added: If you wonder why I bother even mentioning this, I am interested in the migration habits of hummingbirds in general.

Last edited:
Back