2018 Handyman Group Buy Chat

Anyone have a picture of a Handyman, umm handy? There are six spots left and I’m on the fence
2v2JGWCjzxurAoi.jpg

So whats everyone's opinion on Osage versus Desert Ironwood? I was having a really hard time deciding between the two, and I ended up picking Osage mainly because I like how it darkens as it ages (based on some of the various photos I've seen here). On the other hand, I've read that DIW is on it's way to become more rare, and I definitely appreciate the texturing I've seen on DIW handles. I'm still wondering if I made the right choice or not. Both woods make for a great looking knife handle.

So whats everyone's opinion on Osage versus Desert Ironwood? I was having a really hard time deciding between the two, and I ended up picking Osage mainly because I like how it darkens as it ages (based on some of the various photos I've seen here). On the other hand, I've read that DIW is on it's way to become more rare, and I definitely appreciate the texturing I've seen on DIW handles. I'm still wondering if I made the right choice or not. Both woods make for a great looking knife handle.
i like'em both................ but, probably give the edge to osage for the reason you stated

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice!

Osage is cool because of how the color changes. Looks great when its new and old. It looks best to me with blue/natural liners. I'm skeeered of Osage because it could cost me more than a car if I'd let myself get hooked on it. ;)

DIW is just beautiful and it never seems the same when it comes to the grain possibilities. It looks best to me with green/black liners.

Everyone is going to have different opinions on their favorite liner combos of course

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice!

Osage is cool because of how the color changes. Looks great when its new and old. It looks best to me with blue/natural liners. I'm skeeered of Osage because it could cost me more than a car if I'd let myself get hooked on it. ;)

DIW is just beautiful and it never seems the same when it comes to the grain possibilities. It looks best to me with green/black liners.

Everyone is going to have different opinions on their favorite liner combos of course

For some reason I think I'd prefer the blue liners on the Osage rather than on the DIW as well (although I'm sure they'll look great in any configuration). I'm sure whichever one I'd get, a different model with the other wood will eventually pop up that I'd be interested in lol!

Does anyone have any photos of the Handyman (or similar models), with both Osage and DIW handles? It would be great to get more of an idea of what I'm in store for!

I'm really looking forward to getting a FF with 154CPM. With the high humidity in my area, it will definitely be a nice steel to use.

Thanks for the photos guys! Love how the Osage ages from light exposure. Both woods look fantastic which doesn't help in my decision. I'm sure I will be more than happy with the Osage. Really excited for this group buy!

Allen & I got them all Fiddle textured & turco'd this afternoon

Nice, I did some googling on Turco, but can you show the can and give us a lesson on hows/whys on stainless versus A2 and how it impacts workflow?

Nice, I did some googling on Turco, but can you show the can and give us a lesson on hows/whys on stainless versus A2 and how it impacts workflow?
stainless is totally different from carbon steels during heat treat

stainless requires a hi temp foil wrap or a Turco dip...
we wrap AEBL..the foil wrap runs $218 for 50ft of it....the 50 Ft. Long x 20 Inch Wide, 2100°F Max, 309 Stainless Steel Tool Wrap – 0.002 Inch Thick...it requires someone wrap each blade individually...its quite time consuming

CPM154..we dip in Turco...it runs approx $700 for a couple gallons....and requires time to completely dry. I posted a pic of them earlier when we hung them up and they should be ready for the oven in the morning

A2...we can preheat treat grind...clean up, apply spalting juice and compression and into the oven

it slows it down..big time

Back