2018 Handyman Group Buy Chat

Allen & I got them all Fiddle textured & turco'd this afternoon

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the smell of Turco....we used it extensively in the military to clean aircraft components and engines, along with quite a bit of elbow grease. Who knew it would one day become part of creating my favorite knives? :)

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the smell of Turco....we used it extensively in the military to clean aircraft components and engines, along with quite a bit of elbow grease. Who knew it would one day become part of creating my favorite knives? :)
Thats interesting. I would have never thought of it outside of the knife industry

Its pretty obnoxious smelling

Thanks!

stainless is totally different from carbon steels during heat treat

stainless requires a hi temp foil wrap or a Turco dip...
we wrap AEBL..the foil wrap runs $218 for 50ft of it....the 50 Ft. Long x 20 Inch Wide, 2100°F Max, 309 Stainless Steel Tool Wrap – 0.002 Inch Thick...it requires someone wrap each blade individually...its quite time consuming

CPM154..we dip in Turco...it runs approx $700 for a couple gallons....and requires time to completely dry. I posted a pic of them earlier when we hung them up and they should be ready for the oven in the morning

A2...we can preheat treat grind...clean up, apply spalting juice and compression and into the oven

it slows it down..big time
Thanks for this; it explains why a stainless knife costs a bit more. For me, that extra cost for the consumer is a small price to pay for the lesser maintenance needed over the life of the knife.

stainless is totally different from carbon steels during heat treat

stainless requires a hi temp foil wrap or a Turco dip...
we wrap AEBL..the foil wrap runs $218 for 50ft of it....the 50 Ft. Long x 20 Inch Wide, 2100°F Max, 309 Stainless Steel Tool Wrap – 0.002 Inch Thick...it requires someone wrap each blade individually...its quite time consuming

CPM154..we dip in Turco...it runs approx $700 for a couple gallons....and requires time to completely dry. I posted a pic of them earlier when we hung them up and they should be ready for the oven in the morning

A2...we can preheat treat grind...clean up, apply spalting juice and compression and into the oven

it slows it down..big time

Ugh, this sounds exhausting.......Glad my beer is helping me get back some strength.

Thanks for the details, it's filling in the gaps on the process for sure. $700 for a couple gallons of Turco or a 1/2 gallon of Hibiki 12 year old.........hmmmmm tough call for sure.

Ugh, this sounds exhausting.......Glad my beer is helping me get back some strength.

Thanks for the details, it's filling in the gaps on the process for sure. $700 for a couple gallons of Turco or a 1/2 gallon of Hibiki 12 year old.........hmmmmm tough call for sure.
mines helping me too..been a long week

all the blades have been heat treated and half of them got glued up this week
2v2JFdMdGxurAoi.jpg

2v2JFdMmCxurAoi.jpg

2v2JFdMELxurAoi.jpg

Last edited:
I do believe that is the only Black Canvas Micarta HM of the batch. That will eventually be headed my way!! :D

Hope to see some finished pics of the DIW’s also. Those Osage ones look great!

Any pictures or updates on the remaining DIW’s? Not that I’m being impatient or anything......;)

Ivy photobomb would be a plus. Just sayin’

Any pictures or updates on the remaining DIW’s? Not that I’m being impatient or anything......;)

Ivy photobomb would be a plus. Just sayin’
Here's the latest update...I just detailed them 5mins ago.

I dont know what to do:(:(

The 2 empty slots in between the DIW & black canvas represent the 2 DIW's that didnt make it all the way through the final grinds. Im 2 short of the whole shebang being completed

2v2JycSwNxurAoi.jpg

What should I do? What do you all want me to do?

Help

VANCE VANCE - I am also willing to wait (despite my previous impatient comments), unless someone backs out or something else changes. No worries.

Some really good looking DIW’s in the tray, though!

Back