2018 Microtech SOCOM Elite

rpn

Gold Member
Not a review...just a few pics and thoughts.

I had a SOCOM Delta a few years ago that just blew me away with the design and execution- but it had a couple problems that required two trips back to Microtech that ended up taking many months and killing the knife for me.

I always remained curious about the Elite and the most recent release got my interest. While I'm not into serrated blades, it was all I could find.

qRPZfOR.jpg

This thing is buttery..buttery...buttery smooth and oozes quality.

It's also built like a brick s***house...that is a Emerson 10 next to it. The SOCOM has the most massive liner lock I've ever seen and the the blade thickness makes the 10 look almost anemic!

JzXN2jK.jpg

s6lLnbt.jpg

Sucker cuts pretty darn well too. I'm not used to serrations and they hang me up sometime, but it breezed through this cardboard like a champ and the M390 is holding a very nice edge.

zc71UIq.jpg

I'm still going to keep my eyes open for a plain edged version. I always wondered if the glass-breaker tip would bother me, but I have yet to notice it when I carry it.

So far it's off to a good start...

Have you experienced any lock stick with yours? I bought one just like it but plain edged and I'm getting lock stick bad enough that I'm thinking about sending it in to Microtech.

On edit:
Cleaned up the mating surfaces with alcohol and also noticed a little blade wiggle so I tightened up the pivot some. The lock bar had been traveling a little farther than when I had first got it a week or two ago. (Not by much but I could see it.) The pivot adjustment seemed to help that (and the lock stick) and the play is gone. Maybe that was the problem all along. It really only did it when you opened it really easy. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Really like the knife otherwise.

Last edited:
Have you experienced any lock stick with yours? I bought one just like it but plain edged and I'm getting lock stick bad enough that I'm thinking about sending it in to Microtech.

On edit:
Cleaned up the mating surfaces with alcohol and also noticed a little blade wiggle so I tightened up the pivot some. The lock bar had been traveling a little farther than when I had first got it a week or two ago. (Not by much but I could see it.) The pivot adjustment seemed to help that (and the lock stick) and the play is gone. Maybe that was the problem all along. It really only did it when you opened it really easy. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Really like the knife otherwise.

Sorry for the late reply, but haven't looked at this thread in moons. Zero lock stick on mine...it's ridiculously perfect!

And what's better than a really nice knife?

Cx8G7Ie.jpg

Two really nice knives!

I'm just not into serrations and put a plain edge on order and it just got here. Interesting two tone...that black coating is very hard to see or catch with the camera.

RU6Pdyf.jpg

My original plan was to get the plain edge and sell the serrated one. The new one isn't as silky smooth and I don't think I can make myself sell such a perfect knife! We'll see...I'm enjoying them both. :thumbsup:

I just received this knife with the tanto satin blade and out of the box the blade was off center. It is also pretty much impossible to open the blade using the thumb stud. Does anyone know what size torx is required for the pivot? I hope I can fix the issues by adjusting the pivot.

I just received this knife with the tanto satin blade and out of the box the blade was off center. It is also pretty much impossible to open the blade using the thumb stud. Does anyone know what size torx is required for the pivot? I hope I can fix the issues by adjusting the pivot.

I bought this thing after wanting one for years. Unbox it and try to open it - same exact issue. Incredibly disappointed. Did you fix yours?

FYI....the original Socoms used a thick liner made from 154CM. The same steel in the blade. I have a '99 Mini. Love it.

I got one plain edge 2018, very nice folder, well made although you can spot the the blade grind are not even (back of the. Blade- not a big deal), at least in mine.
The glass breaker is great- a ball instead of pointy tip, save your pockets from holes.

Back