2018 Mountain Trip

Bruce Culberson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Caution - thread is pic heavy.
Spend 9 days in the mountains with my brother and daughter. Didn't find the legal bull till second to last day. We had a lot of bad weather so the crib board came in handy. Was an awesome trip and the meat is delicious. I'm glad there were 3 of us for the pack out. I'm feeling pretty blessed to have spent this trip in the alpine with family.

NEOuFcV.jpg

hGXrFi6.jpg

uYvxcge.jpg

toV6DGG.jpg

kIVzV7c.jpg

QOVQ7GZ.jpg

YPpaAUm.jpg

Last edited:
Having your daughter along must have made it a really great trip, lots of memories to share.

I have never had caribou, there aren't a lot of them wandering around in California.

Does Caribou taste like elk meat? Loved your pictures of your adventure. I'm envious.

22-RF
It’s different than elk, but an early season one like this is still damn good

That is great. Was your daughter prepared to hunt too? What calibers did you both use?

That is great. Was your daughter prepared to hunt too? What calibers did you both use?

Messer - yea my daughter hunts too. I tried to get her to "go first"on this trip but she refused. This was my 3rd trip for caribou and she told me she had more years left to get one then I did - guess she's saying in getting old LOL!
I had a 7-08 with 140 accubonds and she uses a 243 with 80gr TTSX.

I always look forward to seeing your trips each fall Bruce. I especially liked this picture below. Did you strip the antlers of their velvet? Thanks for taking the time to post!

hOyHGpw.jpg

I knew you were joking Brad! Just thought others reading the thread might not know.....I haven't been here much lately....

That’s truly excellent, congrats on the Bull.
To be able to share that experience with you is something your little Lady will likely never forget.

Sorry I'm late to the game. I just found this part of the forum. These are fantastic pictures. I love seeing fathers get their kids into the great outdoors. I take mine(3 & 1) with me on short hikes all the time. Not trying to speed up time, but I cant wait until I can take them hunting with me. My daughter was so excited last year when I showed up with a nice white tail in the bed of my truck. Keep up the good work man!

Back