2018 Spyderco Product Guide - Live!

Looking forward to the FRN V-Toku2 knives.

If last year is an example there will be many Sprints and exclusives not in the catalogue.

The Caribbean Salt makes the whole year!:) ...And Lance's design...Pretty cool.

Got it in one mate... lacklustre is the word which springs to mind.
OK, I just finished reading through this whole thing. And I must say, after all that was hyped about the number of new models that were supposed to be released, given how many were discontinued, and all the flurry of discussion around the increase in map pricing, I am so underwhelmed by this catalog.

There is almost nothing new in here. Sure there are some potentially interesting sprint runs of some of the evergreen Spydercos. But there is scarcely anything actually in here that is actually new, let alone innocative. We lost the Slysz, the Domino, and the Southard for... nothing?

I can only hope what this really means that there will be a lot of product announcements next year that are not in this catalog. Because if this actually represents everything, or the bulk of things that Spyderco is introducing to the market this year, it is a huge disappointment and deeply deeply uninteresting.

Huge Spyderco fan here. :(

Funny how the last few years releases and early announcements via shows and social media has spoiled us. It wasn't that long ago that 1 or 2 new models a year was the norm, maybe 1 new sprint. Now some people seem disappointed if we don't get a complete catalog turnover each year.

It's true, we are spoiled. No denying that.

I just preordered a VToku2 Delica and the Clypso Jr sprint... interested in the Native5 Salt as well. Looking forward to the Reinhold as the XHP is a nice upgrade.

I'm inclined to agree that the catalog is less mind-blowing than I expected it to be. HOWEVER, I am confident that Spyderco will spoil us with other excellent models this year, they're just not in the catalog.

Anybody have more info about the stop lock? I don't have a good sense for how it will operate.

It's true, we are spoiled. No denying that.
I bet the Glessers are sitting back chuckling at this thread right now. "Wait till they see what we've got up our sleeves!"

I'd bet my PM2 collection that there are a few secrets they'll be showing us throughout the year that will blow your socks off. They might not be showing their cards to avoid copycats.

#spyderstrong

Last edited:
There will no doubt be a ton more than shown in the catalog. Lots of dealer/distributor exclusives I'd imagine.
I wonder why the Maxamet PM2 and Para3 aren't in the catalog?

Reactions: Mo2
I very much like the new catalog, i'm sure there will be several new models released throughout the year that aren't in the catalog. Last year I think Spyderco overextended themselves a bit with all the new releases and are just now starting to catch up. I have every confidence that Spyderco will keep innovating I just think maybe they were hesitant to put all their new models in the catalog. Plus, I think the unannounced releases are working well for knife makers right now (example, Benchmade Bugout).

Reactions: Mo2
I just preordered a VToku2 Delica and the Clypso Jr sprint... interested in the Native5 Salt as well...

Anybody have more info about the stop lock? I don't have a good sense for how it will operate.

In for pre-orders on the VTOKU Dragonfly and Calypso Jr myself. Native Salt is also right there, but no need to pre-order that one.

Here is some info from the Stop lock patent. Imagine it has seen a lot of refinement though:

US06918184-20050719-D00004.png

https://www.google.com/patents/US6918184

I would guess that is to take pressure off the thumb by providing a wider area to push against instead of just the naked spine?

Seems like that would reduce the effective cutting area for slicing kind of how thumb studs get in the way on folders.

More models in LC200N steel is a bright spot in an otherwise uninspiring catalog as far as the folders go, unless like someone else had mentioned earlier, the Spyderco top brass may be hiding and playing coy on a few more surprises to come. Personally, I am disappointed that a new iteration of the Marcin Slysz Bowie is not on the cards, but I'm glad that despite my many past reservations about that model, I managed to snag one off the Exchange on here, right after the discontinuation announcement which lead to a run on that pattern within a mere few days following the news!

I very much like the new catalog, i'm sure there will be several new models released throughout the year that aren't in the catalog. Last year I think Spyderco overextended themselves a bit with all the new releases and are just now starting to catch up. I have every confidence that Spyderco will keep innovating I just think maybe they were hesitant to put all their new models in the catalog. Plus, I think the unannounced releases are working well for knife makers right now (example, Benchmade Bugout).

It's true. Set the expectations a bit low and then periodically dropping something exciting is a good way to go. Benchmade definitely executed that right this year.

Back