2018 Spyderco Product Guide - Live!

can we still order the product guide in solid book form from spyderco,as i like holding my knifes to the book to get an idea of size/shape,works grate to.

can we still order the product guide in solid book form from spyderco,as i like holding my knifes to the book to get an idea of size/shape,works grate to.
Yes; Kristi posted on a different place that if you sign up on the Spyderco web site for a catalog, you'll get the 2018 version (when it's published).

No one buys spyderco for looks. They are heavily made for use. I've seen full tang 20cv 63hrc knives for around 350-400$ by a small maker. Despite it being over my budget I think the price is perfectly fine for what your getting. Sure it could be made cheaper but this is the way they made it. Seems acceptable to me. Also looks fine. When I use a fixed blade I don't really care what it looks like. I care more for functionality.

WHAT

It looks like a budget model, or a kitchen knife. I assumed it would be 1/2 that at most. It costs more than the monstrously-proportioned bowie (Respect™)?

For reference, a shamelessly hotlinked image:
SPFB42GPn.jpg

I think the Hamaguri grind drives up the price too, as this is new and presumably not easy to accomplish. Too rich for my blood but interesting nonetheless

I believe it, but that doesn't keep the side-profile from looking like a cheap plastic-handled kitchen knife a a glance. Maybe it's just the handle bit going as high up as it does.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it's a perfectly capable tool and what-have-you, but, for some reason, it just instantly makes me think of wal-mart kitchenware, like the handle should be a brightly colored plastic.

(Also, it needs a sharpening notch)

I can see that. Looking at it, the goofy grip extension over the plunge line is likely a result of the natural grip on that handle, which looks like the thumb would rest more naturally forward on the knife than on most others.

...And I must say, after all that was hyped about the number of new models that were supposed to be released, given how many were discontinued, and all the flurry of discussion around the increase in map pricing, I am so underwhelmed by this catalog.

I too was a little underwhelmed...

...But overall I'm in agreement...

Besides a few nice fixed blades, I feel the same...

Considering the quality of the models that have been discontinued I was expecting more surprises from this 2018 catalog...

...That said, I think the catalog is underwhelming...

Dang, the price hike is real...

This dropped with a dull thump for me...

Wow, I hate showing up late. I’ll just nod my head in agreement. On a somewht relieving note, I dropped way more cash into Spyderco in 2017 than I had any business doing. It honestly would be much worse for me if the catalogue was full of “must haves.”

What I read in these cards is that Spyderco is regrouping from some setbacks they may have suffered due to some rocky product launches...

Was there something more than all the foot stomping about the Advocate?

Last edited:
i see the jani song in there and that is exciting. not sure how ill get one though.

Spyderco hasn't produced a classic knife in along time . With the exemption of the techno and the GB In the last 8 years they have done nothing but knives that last 3 years and out of the market . If you guys look at the post posted on the thread (what sapderco are you carrying today ) all you see are classic Spyderco Manix Delica Endura PM and military's .

Spyderco hasn't produced a classic knife in along time . With the exemption of the techno and the GB In the last 8 years they have done nothing but knives that last 3 years and out of the market . If you guys look at the post posted on the thread (what sapderco are you carrying today ) all you see are classic Spyderco Manix Delica Endura PM and military's .

I think the Shaman wll become a new classic, you should try one...

WHAT

It looks like a budget model, or a kitchen knife. I assumed it would be 1/2 that at most. It costs more than the monstrously-proportioned bowie (Respect™)?

For reference, a shamelessly hotlinked image:
SPFB42GPn.jpg

I'm torn on this one. I get the price. I do. 20cv is expensive, the grind was probably expensive and those handles... those lovely, sculpted, hot-spot free handles must've cost a fortune, but $400 street price for one of the plainest looking knives I've ever seen is tough to swallow. My Mora companions have more character at $15.

I'm almost certain though that if I bit the bullet, threw the money at it and took the thing out to work I'd be more than happy with the purchase. And if I don't I'll probably always regret it. You can't see me right now but I'm flailing my arms in frustration.

I wonder if the Zoomer might be difficult to sharpen with some tools? Is the handle going to be in the way?
Almost certainly. I like the idea though. Nice little resting pad to keep the spine from tearing up the webbing on your hand.

Mo2, that blade looks sweet! There is definitely value there, 20cv is good stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
I'm devastated that we have no slysz bowie replacement. Now I'm afraid to carry my favorite knife because spyderco decided to make it a discontinued collectible :-(

I'm devastated that we have no slysz bowie replacement. Now I'm afraid to carry my favorite knife because spyderco decided to make it a discontinued collectible :-(
Mid year refresh or 2019 could have something.

Yeah it sucks for sure about the slysz Bowie but I'm confident that Spyderco is well aware that the status of the knives they produce based on slysz designs have reached an almost cult status, they wouldn't axe it without having something new from mr. Slysz on deck. No doubt about it, they got us slysz freaks covered rest assured. If it's the swayback they end up doing I may just pee my jeans Haha

Back