2019/2020 winter kith

Great to see this one going! Up my alley, but I'm slammed and can't commit.

For what it's worth, I live in a 3" maximum carry state, so 3" is a VERY good number as far as I'm concerned.
(but worth very little since I'm not playing! :rolleyes:)

Count me in Please.

I am in the UK but it all worked OK last time I joined a Kith - which I thought was a couple of years ago but turned out to be 2015!

Do we post progress pics or is it all secret until delivery?

Thanks

Mike

When I get back to the house ( I'm on vacation in Japan) I'll send in progress pics of mine...
MeJust so you won't feel all alone! :D

I got a raise, so I am upping my game for the KITH, just bought some m42 bandsaw blades and trying to set up for wood stabilizing at home. I am going for 2 simple designs so I can concentrate on fit and finish more then on a complicated design. Hopefully I will manage to come up with something decent... Looking forward to WIP pictures.

I have made a start. Blanks profiled and heat treated. 4mm Elmax at 61 Rc

q5cN4PN.jpg

My humble start in plywood. I will go with either nessmuk or drop point. I will do some practices with 75cr1/80crv2 and then go with Becut for Kith.
bhk4F7p.jpg

Mike, that handle shape makes me very curious

Me too, maybe the belly of the handle will consist only of the handle material and the tang will show only on the back. It looks like a neat way to balance the knife and spare material without skeletonizing the tang?

My m42 band saw blades were lost and found by the post. I am really excited to try them out, cutting the blanks with a angle grinder is a messy job..

im putting the grind on my hardened blade coming up this week, ill post a photo soon.

Man, im loving the way these new pettys are coming together. This is one of a batch JT cut and heat treated for me from his reclaimed 15n20 steel.
Today I spent some time grinding these out and have set one aside for this KITH. Blade is ground flat with a 60 grit 3m 967 to about .030 behind the edge.
Then slack belt grind with a 3m trizact A300 to establish a nice convex. I keep going until 90% of the 967 grits are gone and about .010 behind the edge.
Now I hit em with a 120 grit norton blaze on the flat platen to remove the A300 grit marks and dial in the tip geometry. Next is slack belt grinding with an A160 and finally an A100. At this point there is about .005 to .00n0thin behind the edge. I put a really quick "edge" with my atoma 140 grit plate to get a feel for the blade. Ill cut some potato and carrots tomorrow before i decide if these are in the sweet spot for a petty.
XIDiqlT.jpg

imcUojvl.jpg

GBBJhBg.jpg

Last edited:
Man, im loving the way these new pettys are coming together. This is one of a batch JT cut and heat treated for me from his reclaimed 15n20 steel.
Today I spent some time grinding these out and have set one aside for this KITH. Blade is ground flat with a 60 grit 3m 967 to about .030 behind the edge.
Then slack belt grind with a 3m trizact A300 to establish a nice convex. I keep going until 90% of the 967 grits are gone and about .010 behind the edge.
Now I hit em with a 120 grit norton blaze on the flat platen to remove the A300 grit marks and dial in the tip geometry. Next is slack belt grinding with an A160 and finally an A100. At this point there is about .005 to .00n0thin behind the edge. I put a really quick "edge" with my atoma 140 grit plate to get a feel for the blade. Ill cut some potato and carrots tomorrow before i decide if these are in the sweet spot for a petty.
XIDiqlT.jpg

imcUojvl.jpg

GBBJhBg.jpg

Incredible, I just got word my blanks are being shipped back from Peters HT. Excited!

I'm done! Didn't think it was going to happen, but made it with plenty of time.

Blade is a 3" drop point hunter out of S60V, Hand Rubbed 400g finish, in a Kydex sheath. Still a newbie and learning, but I'm very happy with how this one turned out. I'll try and get pictures up soon.

Back