2019/2020 winter kith

A post I didn't want to make, but i'll be bowing out. I rushed to glue up and let the blade sit while I was at work all week. I came home eager and did get a tight perfect glue. I started sculpting and laying out my lines for contouring but decided to re-wrap the blade. When removing the tape there was epoxy that cured on both sides, no way for me to get it off without wrecking the satin finish, and I don't want to continue to make compromises. Apologies guys.

A post I didn't want to make, but i'll be bowing out. I rushed to glue up and let the blade sit while I was at work all week. I came home eager and did get a tight perfect glue. I started sculpting and laying out my lines for contouring but decided to re-wrap the blade. When removing the tape there was epoxy that cured on both sides, no way for me to get it off without wrecking the satin finish, and I don't want to continue to make compromises. Apologies guys.
In front of scales ? Easy to clean with some piece of sharp brass ,bronze or copper ............

DustinY DustinY I’ve done that before and it sucks maybe try acetone I have been able to scrub some off before.

Common occurrence for me too. I scrape with sharpened brass rod then clean up the rest with acetone and q tip.

A3rZxnX.jpg

0YmQata.jpg

Saved it a little, it reacted though with the steel where it was and you can't see it all the time, but it's there in dim lighting. Still finishing it out though. Thoughts are always welcomed, idk if this is kith worthy.

Saved it a little, it reacted though with the steel where it was and you can't see it all the time, but it's there in dim lighting. Still finishing it out though. Thoughts are always welcomed, idk if this is kith worthy.

Oh stop that :rolleyes: lol That is beautifully made. Great job :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh stop that :rolleyes: lol That is beautifully made. Great job :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a pretty big nit - I started as a collector so I know where i'm making my mistakes (good and bad I suppose). Non are fatal though, and as long as everyone here agrees, i'll gladly send it to a new home as part of the KITH. I've funneled a lot of time into it, and i'm incredibly new so each process feels like it takes a serious amount of time planning & attempting to execute - but i've gotten a lot of good feedback from members here.

I’m not running this one, but I’ve run a few. This knife is more than good enough. You are fine. Stop worrying.

Thanks Willie, means a lot coming from you, i'll rest my worries aside.

I'm a pretty big nit - I started as a collector so I know where i'm making my mistakes (good and bad I suppose). Non are fatal though, and as long as everyone here agrees, i'll gladly send it to a new home as part of the KITH. I've funneled a lot of time into it, and i'm incredibly new so each process feels like it takes a serious amount of time planning & attempting to execute - but i've gotten a lot of good feedback from members here.

Thanks Willie, means a lot coming from you, i'll rest my worries aside.

You are well on your way. There are diminishing returns chasing perfection. Enjoy the process, and learn something new each new knife. There are people willing to pay big bucks for showpieces. I’ve learned that most users (not collectors) want great ergonomics, great geometry, and great heat treat. Most are not willing to pay for showpiece quality. Make great tools, then make pretty tools.

Starting working on the Kydex sheath and realized I didn’t order 1/4” eyelets? But I ordered literally everything else I needed, so I placed the final order last night. Might not have heated the kydex enough because the contouring around the knife looks great, but not the spine. We’ll finish and check everything, might make another though - order some more color options haha. I’ll post pictures as I work to finish. Will be done this week!!

I think I can get mine finished in time, but just thought about a sheath. Are we doing this too? If so, I will not be finished in time.

20200322-142113.jpg

20200322-142035.jpg

20200322-142046.jpg

20200322-142145.jpg

Here is my finished submission. Forged from 1084, the 3.25 inch blade, 8.75 OAL, has a flat grind with a convex edge, hand rubbed with a scotchbrite finish. The sculpted handle is dyed and stabilized quilted maple, with G10 liners and pins. I have included a Kydex sheath that will accept a large Tek-Lok (not included). Comments are welcome. I hope someone gets some use out of it.

Good looking knife! I hope my sandpaper arrives in time enough for me to finish!

it's supposed to be here tomorrow...

I have been crazy at work with the virus threat and haven't been able to much work in the shop. Unfortunately, I am forced to drop out. Sorry guys.

Back