2019/2020 winter kith

So I just got a 2x72 and will say this sure beats the hell out of my 1x30 but 36 grit is a bit much for me I had to start a new blade because I blew through the steel too fast. But with the time left I should still be on track. Will post some pics tomorrow of the redo

So I just got a 2x72 and will say this sure beats the hell out of my 1x30 but 36 grit is a bit much for me I had to start a new blade because I blew through the steel too fast. But with the time left I should still be on track. Will post some pics tomorrow of the redo

Dude, 36 grit is still to much for me. I’ve switched to 50 & 60 grit - and then just jump to 120. I should probably start using 80 in between, but it seems pointless.

Ever since I built my 2x72 I've been using 60 grit ceramic belts for roughing my bevels. They take material off fast enough for me. I haven't even tried a 36 for bevel work because it just seems like too much. I'm already spending far, far longer working up the grits to get a nice belt finish than I spend roughing in the bevels, and an aggressive 36 grit just increases the odds of me making a catastrophic mistake. (I'm making kitchen knives out of thin AEB-L, ground after heat treat.)

Just got an update on my kydex supplies, they’ll be in Thursday night, which means it will be completed then.

Looking into some kind of finishing wax - I know a lot of people put renaissance wax but was thinking axe wax because of Mareko’s most recent post.

Dustin I will I was hand sanding one side for a while the other side is still belt finished

I'm still in. I'll be etching the blade tonight and should get it finished up this weekend. I have the leather cut out for a sheath to be finished next week.

Shipping giveth, and taketh away. Looks like i'm delayed til tomorrow. Fedex please.

Here some pics:cool:
66x556

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185305921@N07/shares/66x556

I’m just a Neanderthal as I can’t seem to get these to show up

I take all my pictures on my phone, and have imgur downloaded directly. I upload all the pictures on the app and put it as hidden, then log use the shareable bbc codes from imgur to post here.

Just because my kydex stuff didn't come in, doesn't mean i need to stop. Got my buffs in, so gave it a final polish with some polish compound and a loose buff, then sharpened it. I know we're not all crazy about mirror edges, it just seemed to fit the satin well. 20 degrees per side for this edc - it's very, very sharp.

The setup - trying to protect the satin as much as i can, handle was fully wrap too, can never be to safe haha.....
56c46E5.jpg

RW8qdHg.jpg

5RulJDO.jpg

KIZqZr4.jpg

7EEpGzD.jpg

This has been an awesome project, so glad someone gets to enjoy this.

Let the war begin...

F3H92s2.jpg

6ydmxf4.jpg

Was hoping i took enough off here to have a solid tight fit.

Jc0cz7s.jpg

To tight, took more material off, resanded, rebuffed, ran back to my grandpa's to blow it out with his compressor - still to tight. Decided to take it inside, form the thumb ramp, battle with it tomorrow and decide if i need to just scrap it and make another.

fNopH1B.jpg

Sigh, defeating day lol.

Let the war begin...

F3H92s2.jpg

6ydmxf4.jpg

Was hoping i took enough off here to have a solid tight fit.

Jc0cz7s.jpg

To tight, took more material off, resanded, rebuffed, ran back to my grandpa's to blow it out with his compressor - still to tight. Decided to take it inside, form the thumb ramp, battle with it tomorrow and decide if i need to just scrap it and make another.

fNopH1B.jpg

Sigh, defeating day lol.
Moving they eyelet closest to the handle a little further down the blade should help on the next one. The kydex will be able to give easier.

Moving they eyelet closest to the handle a little further down the blade should help on the next one. The kydex will be able to give easier.

I have decided to scrap it and re-make it, i'll use this piece of advice on the next one, thank you brother.

Back