2019 BF

D5eytMv.jpg

Could not believe it...postie on Sunday!!??...must be Christmas next week or something.
I piped this welcome traveller aboard ..
20191222-103417.jpg

Cause for a celebratory Port.
20191222-104315.jpg

Very subtle figuring and a half smidgeon of burliness...other side black as coal.
To Mike,Gary and Frank- Cheers
and warm Thank You to GEC for making it happen....and me of course for that astoundingly brilliant label..most of all to everyone who gets the fever and supports this annual adventure.
Its worth all the work.
20191222-105834.jpg

To The Porch!

Could not believe it...postie on Sunday!!??...must be Christmas next week or something.
20191222-103417.jpg

20191222-104315.jpg

Very subtle figuring and a half smidgeon of burliness...other side black as coal.
and warm Thank You to GEC for making it happen....and me of course for that astoundingly brilliant label..most of all to everyone who gets the fever and supports this annual adventure.
Its worth all the work.
20191222-105834.jpg

To The Porch!
You're right, Jon: it IS worth it. And a big thanks to you! Cheers!
1JsVCTD.jpg

Did you cut yourself when the knife slipped off your shoulder? :D

Its worth all the work.
20191222-105834.jpg

To The Porch!

LOL, not unless he put an edge on it first. :D

I'm really pleased with all aspects of my BF knife, except the butter knife edge it came with. I dont mind that because thats a shortfall that can be remedied...with pleasure.
I read a lot about GEC's razor sharp factory edges, but I never seem get one.

How about You Guys?

Disclaimer: This post should not be construed as a jab at GEC.

841FF346-E538-46CB-8209-ECA7E7450BBE.jpeg

I can tell more senior men than myself had the most input. The lines on this knife are like an old classic American
Car.

I didn’t know it was called a Sailor’s Knife until I read the pin. It reminds me zero of a Sailor’s Knife, but I love a Sailor’s Knife, and I plan to sail away soon. I have a large Sailor’s Knife GEC collection - this will be a splendid addition.

I'm really pleased with all aspects of my BF knife, except the butter knife edge it came with. I dont mind that because thats a shortfall that can be remedied...with pleasure.

How about You Guys?

Mine came sharp enough to cut stuff, but I had to touch up the edge to get it to where it could cut tissue without snagging. I only buy one or two GECs a year, so not a representative sample, but they come with a 'usable' edge. Often it's the tip of the knife that needs reprofiling, like the person sharpening stops just short . That's fine by me, better than a rounded or overheated tip. :cool::thumbsup:

How about You Guys?

Was there no apex at the cutting edge?.... Blunt?.... Ragged?.... Too smooth; i.e. no bite?...

Was there no apex at the cutting edge?.... Blunt?.... Ragged?.... Too smooth; i.e. no bite?...
Well maybe butter knife was a little strong, but not sharp like I like em, it would maybe shave a few arm hairs if pressed down hard...zero bite. I didnt look at it under any magnification before sharpening. At least it was ground flat along the edge with no rounding at heel or tip, with one "Dished out" area on one side near the heel as seems common on most factory belt sharpened knives.
I think the term "shaving sharp" like blade pull and snap are kind of subjective descriptions.

Well maybe butter knife was a little strong, but not sharp like I like em, it would maybe shave a few arm hairs if pressed down hard...zero bite. I didnt look at it under any magnification before sharpening. At least it was ground flat along the edge with no rounding at heel or tip, with one "Dished out" area on one side near the heel as seems common on most factory belt sharpened knives.
I think the term "shaving sharp" like blade pull and snap are kind of subjective descriptions.

The GEC I have bought in the past year will pretty much slice paper from a magazine or catalog.... Also very capable of opening up packages..... I have not received one that will shave arm hair.... I would say the edge grinds have been uniform and better than I could do freehand on a belt.... If I want to give them a little more bite I give them a few strokes on a DMT diamond coated rod....

How about You Guys?

The edge on mine was adequate, but I have sharpened it already, as I often do on most knives. My Buck 110 came scary sharp, and so did my Spanish navaja, but most knives I have to sharpen a little. Case knives are hit and miss.

The GEC I have bought in the past year will pretty much slice paper from a magazine or catalog.... Also very capable of opening up packages..... I have not received one that will shave arm hair.... I would say the edge grinds have been uniform and better than I could do freehand on a belt.... If I want to give them a little more bite I give them a few strokes on a DMT diamond coated rod....
That's what I did: a few strokes on diamond rods, followed by ceramic rods. Cuts much better now.

Beautiful pictures everyone. Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday but was delayed. Hopefully I’ll see it by Christmas.

20191222-103417.jpg

20191222-104315.jpg

Its worth all the work.
20191222-105834.jpg

To The Porch!
Congratulations on getting such a nice one. I really like that wood grain pattern. Thank you for writing the back label. I enjoyed it.

here is mine...
nhf2xTu.jpg

Well, still no email notification, and the last batch is supposed to be arriving tomorrow? I suppose it will go out before Christmas...but seeing as I'm out of town all this week, if it shows up on the next Monday, it would be perfect. Heck, I could ride up to Oklahoma in a couple of hours. :D Save all that postage!

Back