Photos 2019 Blade Show • Excellence in Customs!

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
2019: It was Exciting, Exhilarating and EXHAUSTING. But... SO worth it.

We (My wife Susan, and my son Trevor) drove down from CT to GA on Wed. morning to arrive on Thurs. morning. I set up ASAP and from 2pm Thursday till Sunday at 3pm we worked and worked and worked to fulfill our services. I was in the studio at 6am to begin all three days.

I NEED a team to keep up with the projects: Writing up, clerical payment tasks, infosheets, scheduling, pickups, deliveries, etc. I don't do ANY of that. I am a one-person machine in the studio relegated to selection of backgrounds, positions, mirrors, strobes, and correct lighting. My son Trevor was my studio assistant and runner; I try not to spend ANY time cleaning the knives and putting them away. He does. It takes time. That's not my peak output.

Susan and longtime front desk assistant Maggie Randall handled ALL the entries and deliveries. I KNOW they did an overall great job, which I could not even witness to really applaud them. They love these interactions.

I missed chatting with 90% of my clients. I am a social person, and this was hard. Yet I average about 15 mins PER KNIFE to get it right.

For those who I did chat with, thank you. For those who I missed, I'm sorry. For those who I may have been brusk: I am human and overworked this weekend. I love you too. :)

Shoutout to longtime friend STeven Garsson @Kohai999 who invited us out to a relaxing dinner on Saturday evening at 'Canoe' with Sam Taylor Mecha Mecha and partner Julie Barber. A GREAT dinner and better conversation!! Thank you guys.

Susan, Maggie, Trevor and myself THANK YOU for your support. :thumbsup: :)

This thread will take awhile to run its course as I edit and add.

BEFORE I left, I had a large delivery of knives heading for the Show. These are part of this display. I finished them before I left, so I have them to begin. They set the tone, WILDLY!

Feel free to comment on the maker's knives. They are watching.

Photos in NEXT post.....

Michael Zieba (Brooklyn, NY)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kamil Dlugosz (Poland)
orig.jpg

Anders Hogstrom (Sweden)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

'Twas a great time at dinner with you and your family, Coop! Many thanks to STeven for making it happen. I'm still snickering at when Julie whacked STeven and demanded that he quit making "any face." :D

Bring on the glorious photos! :thumbsup:

Always look forward to your photos every show Coop.

Nice to see that Tighe is still knocking out appealing designs.

The color and engraving on that first Zieba is a real eye catcher!!!

^^^ Thank you ALL! I enjoy this, too. :)

One of the BEST things to happen at this years show was the collaboration of (13) makers from South Texas, who decided it was time to 'give back' to their Patriarch: Bill Ruple. Bill has done SO much for the knifemaking community in the world, and specifically in his home state. His mentoring and free sharing is renowned.

I was approached a month early by Burt Flanagan to set aside time to shoot a group shot of thirteen knives. EACH one of them a gift from a mentee to Bill. Whatever it costs, whatever it takes. "Shhhh..... Don't tell!" I could not wait. :)

They did a formal individual presentation inside the show hall including the knives and a BIG GIANT wooden display stand (which I bailed on capturing). You may watch the (VERY GOOD) vid here. There are some choking up moments I certainly appreciated witnessing. SO cool!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2092468817712354

Following through, they brought me the whole set on Sunday Morning. "Do what you do."

I spent a bunch of time on two layouts. The knives are in order mirroring the plaque display. When it came time to billing I asked how much they charged Bill for their knives. "Huh? NOTHING!" Exactly. That's my bill to you. I love you guys and Bill, now get out of here. ;)

For this I was 'officially' inducted into the 'South Texas Knife Cartel'. Bill reached out to thank me personally as well. I'm a proud participant! Thank YOU!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

And now back to the Blade Show individual makers' work:

Tommy 'Bubba' Crouch - Pleasanton Texas
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Brian Hoese - San Antonio, TX
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Drum roll please.......

I don't know how many ABS Journeyman Smith applicants there were, or how many passed in total. However I will show you the SEVEN passing and outstanding applicants who came to my studio:

Kelly Vermeer-Vella - Oakdale, CA
orig.jpg

Jason Weightman - Portland, Australia
orig.jpg

Stuart Smith - Johannesburg, South Africa
orig.jpg

JJ Simon - Delmar, DE
orig.jpg

Jackson Rumble - Canberra, Australia
orig.jpg

Matt Roberts - Blacksburg, VA
orig.jpg

Rudy Dean - Elkton, VA
orig.jpg

I am told there was only ONE Mastersmith applicant, and he NAILED it!

Zack Jonas - Wilmot, NH
orig.jpg

These group shots are difficult. I want to show them well, and NOT show them all the same orientation or display. (That's me. I spend more time than I should, but I won't change a good thing.) I hope you like them, too. :)

wonderful Coop!

Nice to see my small home state of Delaware represented!! I'm a stone's throw from Delmar....

I love EVERYTHING about the Ruple tribute. Tip of that hat to all.

Seeing the JS test sets is another real treat. I was fortunate to snag 2 of Matt's test knives.

Great work Coop - thanks for all your hard work that we get to sit back and enjoy!

Excellent as always Mr. C!!! Thanks for posting these up again this year for those of us who can't make BLADE.

Back