2019 Deer

I'm in Northern California, our youngest son (19 y/o) and I hunt black tail deer up in Humboldt County where my Uncle has a ranch. My son went up twice to the ranch this Fall, he went on the rifle opener in late September but it was too hot, he and I went a few weeks later on the second weekend of October and it rained which really brought them out, we had 6 hunters in our group that weekend, 2 first time juniors and 4 seasoned hunters, and everyone got a buck, my son got 2. We don't do stands and we don't drive them, it's hilly there with good dirt road access so we fan out over the top of a hill and work down through oak, fur, madrone and redwood trees working the gullies and chutes to a pick-up rally point at the bottom. Our longest shots here are typically no more than 150 yards, ranch rule is 3-point and up on one side unless it's your first buck then it's fork and up, State regulation was fork on one side this past season.

My son's 2 bucks,
8iqGUub.jpg

y0IQ5XO.jpg

My buck, a wide 3x4
yVyAD7Z.jpg

Where we hunt,
HIkYgcc.png

Saw this 4x4 on the drive out, look at the fat coat on that pig...
Hmp9org.jpg

Last edited:
He ran along side my car for about 25 yards and then stopped and struck that pose, I drove past him a little and had to back up to take the picture :)

I guess it was a bad joke-- I thought I'd get more reaction. Web pic, a stunning buck that nobody would pass up, but he really does look kind of young.

Crazy rack. Couple forked tines and a couple on the wrong side. Not your typical white tail. Yep face looks not old. Maybe someone being artistic?

Last edited:
Back