Attention Further UPDATED 10/14 ---2019 Forum Knife -- First Step in the Ordering Process-Orders Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
FIRST:
Do not post comments or questions in this thread.
The only posts should be “I’m in for X number of knives”.

The purpose of this thread is twofold:
♦ to identify how knives will be ordered and
♦ to set up an approved buyers list.
Gary and I use this thread to make the buyers list. That becomes difficult if we are required to skip comment and question posts.

Ask questions in this thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2019-forum-knife-question-thread.1650168/#post-18874814

I’m sorry for the wall of text. It’s a complex topic, and I’ve tried to answer all the common questions here.

SECOND:
Much thanks to Mike (knifeswapper). He has put in a lot of unpaid work this year setting this up for us. If you’ve never bought a knife from Mike before, please consider doing so. I’ve bought many from him and it has always been clean and easy.

THIRD:
The process and things you should know:

This year will be much like last year for the overall process. A lot of hard work is going into this with no profit in it for anyone except maybe the knife manufacturer. We don’t want to set this up just so a flipper can come along and turn a fat profit on the backs of others as has happened in some past years. So this is a “members only” set up. If folks buy the knife and later decide the knife is not for them and want to sell it, we would ask that you sell it on the BF exchange and just charge enough to cover your costs.
  • Who can buy: Any BladeForums member in good standing. That would be a member who
    • has not been found to be flipping forum knives for high profits in past years. (There’s only one name on that no-fly list.)
    • has been a member since at least Dec 1, 2018 and
    • has 30 posts on BF spread over at least that amount of time.
(Note: if the posts are all, "nice knife" or similar, they don't count.) The posts can be in any of the discussion forums, but if they are all in the exchange, we’ll have to look at them. Exceptions to these requirements can be made on a case by case basis by the moderators. Contact either Gary or me.​
  • All knives must be paid for at the time of ordering. Mike will only order the exact number of knives purchased. This means that once the ordering is done, it's done. In past years, we've sometimes had knives left over for folks to buy later. The dealer has had difficulty collecting all the money that was spent buying them from the manufacturer. That's not fair to a fella that is making no profit on the deal, so as of last year that's not happening any more.
  • Due to some previous interactions with the Federal Government, Mike is unable to ship overseas. There are a couple of workarounds for that. They will be explained on Mike’s order page. The least expensive would be for you to have an intermediary in the States who is willing to ship to you. If you have one, just put them in the "Shipping" address when ordering. If not, GEC has agreed to ship knives directly to international customers. However, shipping cost estimates for this option will err on the high side, so having GEC ship it directly to you may cost more.
  • If there are any problems with your knife, you will need to take it up with GEC directly. Mike will not have any extras to send as replacements and will not be an intermediary for any quality issues.
How the process will work:
  • The process starts by posting "I'm in." in this thread and stating whether you want one or two knives. It should be obvious, but, if you don’t want one, please don’t post in the thread.
  • See bottom of post for update.
  • The page will not be visible from the Mike’s store front. You must use the link. You can buy one knife or two. The order blank will have a place for your BF user name. You will need to fill that in. Mike will be checking to make certain each buyer is on the approved list. We pay at the time of ordering.

• See bottom of post.
  • Delivery date and price. See bottom of post.
What we are ordering
  • GEC #86
  • Heavy saber sheepfoot single blade,
  • Closed length 3 7/8"
  • 1095 steel,
  • Cut swedge,
  • Lined bolster,
  • Long matchstriker pull,
  • Bare headed (only one bolster)
  • Satin finished blade,
  • Polished bolster,
  • In African Blackwood
  • Bomb shield.
  • Estimated price $100+ shipping**

With thanks to Darren (@waverave), a digital mockup of the the 2019 Forum knife/

N1D5yBk.jpg

Edited to add.
GEC has given us a price. $92.14 This includes First Class shipping to addresses in the US.
GEC will ship to anyplace else for an additional flat charge of $16.00

Next Wednesday, Mike is going to place an order for the number of knives listed in this thread. If you need to withdraw or make a change to your order, please contact Gary or me before that time. If there is need a later need for a withdrawal from the project due to an emergency, we should be able to accommodate that, but we really need to get the numbers right. We will not be ordering any extras.

GEC has set a production target of early 4th Quarter. We as individuals will make our purchases from Mike's web site sometime shortly before the knives are produced. When Mike is ready to take our orders, Gary and I will contact each member via PM.

Last edited:
I am in for one knife.

Thanks -

mqqn

One here please. Thanks to those putting this together this year, Mike in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back