Votes: 229 75.6%
  • Polished

Votes: 74 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Satin finish for me.

Old school crocus finish with an etched blade. I just love watching the etching wear with age. :)

For now, I'm in the satin camp....but I could be swayed with the right arguments towards a polished blade. Mmmmm satin with a Northfield trim is just nice.[/QUOTE

I’m in for satin too but agree polished is easy to keep stains away. So I guess I’d be ok with either!

This is for the blade only, right? The bolsters will still be polished, no matter what the blade is . . . I fervently hope!

Yes, this is just for the blade. Satin-vs-polished bolsters might (?) be voted on in the final "Provisional" vote. Here's what Mike said in his first post about the poll schedule:

3/11 - 3/14 Phase 5: Provisional

Provisional: If everything falls into place for special polls, we can hold them here. For example, if everything works out exactly right to vote on a brushed shield/bolster - we could do that in this phase.

I don't know what the requirements would be to warrant a vote on brushed/polished bolsters. Maybe the handle material chosen? I feel like you normally only see brushed bolsters on GEC knives with Micarta handles, and something tells me we won't end up voting on Micarta, but you never know.

I will never understand the appeal of satin finish. Especially on a Northfield. Oh well, I have sandpaper and time.

No strong opinion on this one. Satin actually seems to pit a bit more than crocus unless you're careful. I tend to think a polished Sabre blade could look a bit garish and chrome like...but not bovvered.

If it were stainless (wish!) then no question, got to be matte/satin. But as it's not, you choose ;)

Proper care will prevent rust and pitting.
Pitting = neglect.

I suppose you're right, but my GEC Churchill developed pits overnight after I cut lemons with it and didn't wash it down immediately. Rather surprised & a little annoyed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back