Votes: 229 75.6%
  • Polished

Votes: 74 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a Northwood's "thing".
I wouldn't want to copy that, it would feel like ripping off a trademark or shield.

One could argue that at some point, all of these knife patterns, shields, etc., could be a ripoff. I personally believe that the defining element of a Northwoods knife is the Arrowhead shield.

The Bladeforums knife won’t have the Northwoods stamp on the blade and will most likely have a matchstriker long pull, which is significantly different than a Northwoods ‘rustic’ knife.

Just because it’s a GEC made knife with a saber ground blade does not mean it’s a Northwoods knife.

I completely fail to see how one single element of a Northwoods knife would be a ‘thing’..... even the blade shape is slightly different.

Just had to drop my 2 cents.... also, to clarify, the primary grind and swedge would be satin, the flats would retain the case hardened color/scale.

That’s IF knifeswapper knifeswapper decided to make a poll for that option, which if satin is the winner, I would like a chance to vote on!

knifeswapper knifeswapper If satin finish wins, what’s the possibility of leaving the blade unfinished after hardening? Like with Northwoods? I think that looks pretty good myself.

When GEC does a feature like this at the request of a contractor, they will not usually do it for anyone else. If is somewhat of a gentleman's agreement at that point. I have heard this request was made a long time ago and is a no-go.

If we add a Easy open notch to go with a bail it will really start to to look like a mariner’s knife.

I know it isn't going to happen, but I am still hoping that somehow the bail and EO will happen for this knife. Without those things I feel like this knife will just be a knife that lives in its tube. With a bail and an EO notch I would feel an actual desire to use the knife, at least a few times.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the reason that so many seem to prefer satin finish? Is it this particular ‘work’ knife? I keep hearing that phrase around this knife.... seems like most here want ‘tough, dark, not shiny at all’ for this particular knife. Bling is my thing and I usually associate the Northfield brand with that. I guess I just don’t get it.

Well, good question actually :thumbsup::D

No idea, as I'm neutral on the blade's finish, like both. It is odd that work knife keeps being used about this one before it's even finalised, particularly if it's polished wood with a nice intricate shield... and as I said earlier, aren't all knives work knives?;) Northfield has appeared in satin though, I have a Grinling Whittler 38 in chechen Rosewood with it.:cool:

I know it isn't going to happen, but I am still hoping that somehow the bail and EO will happen for this knife. Without those things I feel like this knife will just be a knife that lives in its tube. With a bail and an EO notch I would feel an actual desire to use the knife, at least a few times.

The bail will make the knife feel weird in my pocket and looking at the mock-up pics, it looks like pinching the blade open will not be an issue at all, especially with the Sabre grind. An EO notch could always be added after the fact if needed by some.

One could argue that at some point, all of these knife patterns, shields, etc., could be a ripoff. I personally believe that the defining element of a Northwoods knife is the Arrowhead shield.

The Bladeforums knife won’t have the Northwoods stamp on the blade and will most likely have a matchstriker long pull, which is significantly different than a Northwoods ‘rustic’ knife.

Just because it’s a GEC made knife with a saber ground blade does not mean it’s a Northwoods knife.

I completely fail to see how one single element of a Northwoods knife would be a ‘thing’..... even the blade shape is slightly different.

Just had to drop my 2 cents.... also, to clarify, the primary grind and swedge would be satin, the flats would retain the case hardened color/scale.

That’s IF knifeswapper knifeswapper decided to make a poll for that option, which if satin is the winner, I would like a chance to vote on!
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'd feel guilty about it. I (myself) wouldn't want to copy Mr. Bohn's signature element.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the reason that so many seem to prefer satin finish? Is it this particular ‘work’ knife? I keep hearing that phrase around this knife.... seems like most here want ‘tough, dark, not shiny at all’ for this particular knife. Bling is my thing and I usually associate the Northfield brand with that. I guess I just don’t get it.
I like that a patina seems to blend into a satin blade and looks more natural, while patina on a polished blade just seems more glaringly obvious. Same thing with scratches and scuffs.

The EO notch is something I could get on board with - or not. I think some knives look better with them (85 for instance) and others function better with them, but I'm not ready to get out the pompoms just yet. Sorry to bother you @waverave but would an EO notch be something you could work your magic with?

The bail is something I definitely do not want. I'm not a modder, and try to enjoy my knives the way they were made. I've carried and used my Navy knife a lot, and would love for it to be bail-less. It really gets in the way when I'm holding it. Not enough to prevent it from functioning, but just enough to be annoying.

EO notch doesn't work for everyone, as it can create a hot spot for differently sized hands under hard use. Plus, you can always add your own EO notch to suit your particular hand and taste for size.

A bail isn't as easy to add, I suppose, and could be removed more easily than added, but I don't think a bail is as universally liked as plain. Just my opinion.

I see these threads about the knife, but is it too late to still get in on the purchase? Or can someone point me to info on how that works? Loving what I’m seeing so far!

All knives are tools, so the ‘work knife’ description may be more accurate if it were termed ‘hard use’. The reason for that description is that the knife is a bigger version of the #77, and also has a comparatively thicker blade stock and spring.

The blade profile also has a lot in common with rope knives, sailing knives, and navy knives (take your pick).

These features combined suggest a purpose and use for this knife. It is the same function performed by a work knife of yesteryear, and indeed still performed by men of the sea.

All knives are tools, so the ‘work knife’ description may be more accurate if it were termed ‘hard use’. The reason for that description is that the knife is a bigger version of the #77, and also has a comparatively thicker blade stock and spring.

The blade profile also has a lot in common with rope knives, sailing knives, and navy knives (take your pick).

These features combined suggest a purpose and use for this knife. It is the same function performed by a work knife of yesteryear, and indeed still performed by men of the sea.

And that is why I am hoping we can go as far down that road as possible. The blade profile, thickness, size, and grind all make sense as a hard use tool. Embracing that identity can take the knife from just being a kind of oddball to being a special and practical tool. The thick stock and saber grind on a sheepfoot profile cries out for embracing that nautical identity. Plus the barehead option seems to be strongly in the lead, which is even better news for the boat-knife type aesthetic.

Honestly, that’s a strong argument. It’s not like other club and group annual knives haven’t been updated versions of old patterns.

It’s what custom gurus like the Bose’s are known for. They recreate the old knives.

The annual forum knives have been afloat on Blade Forums for 10 traveled years. It’s survived the sharks.

But make the bail removable if we go that route. Or rely on just the lanyard tube to save cost on the loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back