1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Attention 2019 Forum Knife : Poll - Pull Type

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Feb 28, 2019.

Long Pull Style

Poll closed Mar 4, 2019.
  1. Standard

124 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. Matchstriker

171 vote(s)
    58.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    @knifeswapper , do you know if the matchstriker pull adds significantly to the cost? I really could go either way, and want to leave room in the budget for cover options. Thanks for your patience.

2. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Good question!

JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  3. rdave

rdave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    standard long pull style wouldn't clash with a beautiful pick bone cover

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  4. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Only one business has permission to use one of their characters in its logo: Alice Manufacturing in Easley, SC a textile company. They had a personal letter from Walt Disney in the company safe giving them permission to use Alice in Wonderland.

60829090-C49E-40D0-B814-EDCA05C86437.png

5. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I have never found anything that adds "significantly" to the cost of a GEC knife - but man do all the "insignificant amount" things add up quickly. Short answer: no.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. Eversharp!

Eversharp! Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Going with matchstriker.

7. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, good to know. :cool::thumbsup:

tmd_87 likes this.
  8. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    Agreed. Like the look but wonder if it bumps up the cost.

Pgg365247 likes this.
  9. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    I’d say yes

10. dammyippon

dammyippon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Matchstriker because I'm feeling fancy.

11. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Can you still get matches that will strike on one of those pulls??:rolleyes:

Fodderwing, Jolipapa and waverave like this.
  12. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    A Google search of "Strike Anywhere Matches" says yes. I haven't seen any myself in a long time.

13. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Bugs is Warner Bros;), Disney will surely give you the ok.

14. ShaneInDenver

ShaneInDenver

Nov 23, 2014
    Matchstriker sounds like a fun choice! There will be plenty of room for it with the saber grind too.

15. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Come on out to Alturas, CA Gary and go to the Holiday Market where you can buy all the "Strike Anywhere Matches" you'll ever want. They're made by Diamond.

The wood stove reigns in this area and there's nothing like lighting a wood fire with a wood match.

I don't light them with my thumb nail anymore. The last time I did I got a piece of the phosphorus match head stuck under my thumb nail and burned the heck out of myself. I performed a couple new dances that day and taught the dogs some phrases they'd never heard before.

16. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I like lighting them on the beard stubble of guys in the saloon when I'm feeling feisty.

zolthar and Misplaced Hillbilly like this.
  17. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Ouch, Ed!
    I guess I haven't seen them because I wasn't looking. We had a wood stove and a fireplace up until a few years ago, they've now been changed to natural gas. We always used the wood matches that you strike on the box.
    I do recall a friend of mine using the zipper on his jeans to strike the "Strike Anywhere" matches on. This was when I was a kid. In retrospect he wasn't the smartest guy I've known.
    A knife with a match striker pull would have been a much better choice.:D

18. abey67

abey67

Feb 25, 2007
    i like the match strike just because.

cigarrodog likes this.
  19. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    I personally think a matchstriker pull looks mighty handsome on a satin finished blade (like Mike's 85s and the Mardi Gras 56s) so that's where my vote went. Obviously a detail that insignificant wouldn't sway me liking the knife any less either way.

20. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I have a couple of boxes of Diamond strike anywhere matches. Never got one to light on any of my RR matchstrike pulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.