Important Info! 2019 Forum Knife : Poll Schedule / Content

I think the way the process has been set up is awesome. I'm especially appreciative of the shorter phases.

One thing I'm wondering is: if our choices in earlier phases will affect the options in later phases, especially regarding cost and our traditional ~$100 limit.

For example: While I plan on voting for the NF trim, I may not if it leaves us with fewer handle options.

Definitely not a concern, just curious.

I was all about cut swedges and long pulls until I got a drawn swedge and crescent nick 66.

The Northwoods style Sabre grinds all got the drawn swedges, at least I don’t remember any cut swedges.

A cut swedge would look pretty sweet with the Sabre grind I’m betting.

This is a spear rather than a sheepfoot, but shows a cut swedge on a saber ground blade...

omvj4Ku.jpg

H9DAVpH.jpg

The Northwoods style Sabre grinds all got the drawn swedges, at least I don’t remember any cut swedges.

A cut swedge would look pretty sweet with the Sabre grind I’m betting.
That's about all a sabre grind is good for imo, looking good. I'm not a fan of the sabre grind for practical everyday use. But everybody has their preferances.

This is a spear rather than a sheepfoot, but shows a cut swedge on a saber ground blade...

omvj4Ku.jpg

H9DAVpH.jpg
Gorgeous. Match strike or not, I think the long pull would suit the blade & knife best. Just my opinion though.

This knife is rumored to include heavier gauge blade material. With a saber grind it will be thicker than average behind the edge, making it tough to be sharpened as a real slicer! I think a saber grind would be a mistake. Flat grind please!!!

This knife is rumored to include heavier gauge blade material. With a saber grind it will be thicker than average behind the edge, making it tough to be sharpened as a real slicer! I think a saber grind would be a mistake. Flat grind please!!!

Eh tu, Charlie? Doesn’t the “fun factor” get any votes? ;)

It’s not every day GEC does a saber grind!

Eh tu, Charlie? Doesn’t the “fun factor” get any votes? ;)

It’s not every day GEC does a saber grind!
I'm all for fun, Colin!!:)
But form follows function every time in a successful pocketknife!!
Fun is peeling an apple all in one long peel!! Not possible, at least not easy, with a saber grind on a heavy blade.:(
Of course, it might be fun bashing it through an inch and a half hawser with a belaying pin!!:D
I guess all knives have their uses!!:rolleyes:
Being a city slicker and not a sailor, I guess I am prejudiced!!:D

Bah! If every pocket knife was designed for slicing apples where is the fun in that?

I use folding knives mainly for cutting boxes, string, packets, hobby work and building and carpentry uses. Most of the time its a chop not a slice for me!

In all the discussion on this and the original poll thread, I don't recall any indication that the grind was negotiable. Would be nice to get a confirmation yay or nay before all the other decisions start being made.

Northfield with a match stricker pull And the star, crown, or bomber shields. Paired with a nice wood or some saw cut bone. Can't wait to see how the polls unfold!

Back