• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember back to the Heartland Clip SFO a few years back. I remember the person who ordered the SFO was upset because he ordered the random jigging like the Navy knife and ended up with something very different. There was another SFO that requested the same Navy knife jig that didn't get it either, can't remember what it was though... I don't think it's a guarantee just to request it.
That was Rob Bixley (Apostle P on YouTube) and his Heartland Clip SFO based on the #74 pattern. He asked for half in Ebony and half down with jigged bone like that done on Charlie's SFO Navy rope knife. The knives ended up getting a pony-cut style jigging. I think Rob was disappointed, but all the knives were sold rather quickly and now are still highly sought after. It helped that the pony-cut style jigging was also very attractive. I think that mistake was a communication mistake. We will have to ask Mike, but I don't think he has ever had any issues securing the types of SFO's he requests.

KsV5ru6.jpg

Last edited:
Figured I'd show some closeups of GEC's jigging, compared with some from Case.

GEC
DSC00942.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

Case
DSC00939.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

There's something to be said for good uniform jigging, as it usually looks and feels good. But sometimes deep, random jigging provides good grip and character. I'd like to see GEC go with more types of jigged bone when putting out patterns to give us even more choices.

Thanks Mike for clarifying - you would know the process better than anyone.

I was about to post the same concern. Thinking of the issues dealers have recently had with pink bones, with blue bones, with autumn gold color bones.

I love nice jigging as much as the next guy - look closely at the jigging on this Egg Harbor Black. It is exquisite - I don’t think GEC can produce jigging at that standard, though I wish they could.

kHmVpC9.jpg

Juniper ACRYLIC! lol or scratted/jigged acrylic for maximum texture.

Or just plain clear Lexan polycarbonate. Bullet-proof and will last FOREVER!!!

Don't want to play it the used car's seller's way, believe me... but, listen, how can you, Smart Girlzzz & Boyzzz let go such an opportunity to have a unique and outstanding acrylic knife... well, that's beyond me! :D:D

All we have to do is request it. “Any bone on a GEC knife over the last 10 years or so”

If we want the random jigged bone found on the GEC #15 Rope Knife for example, then that is what we ask for. I don’t think Mike can be much clearer than that. See post #178.

My recollection is that there's been a number of times the Charlie rope knife jigging has been requested - and it hasn't worked out each time. It's possible it might not matter because jigged bone votes might be for Sawcut.

This! This would sure be something to behold!

I think black and white ebony is very difficult to work with. Bark River discontinued using it because, I think, of issues with cracking and breaking. I remember reading Mike Stewart talking about a high attrition rate with raw material. Basically if he bought "X" number of material (board feet?) he got "X%" of usable content out of it. And it wasn't a very good percentage.

Remember back to the Heartland Clip SFO a few years back. I remember the person who ordered the SFO was upset because he ordered the random jigging like the Navy knife and ended up with something very different. There was another SFO that requested the same Navy knife jig that didn't get it either, can't remember what it was though... I don't think it's a guarantee just to request it.

Yup, agree. It's been asked for over and over.

I like traditional. Micarta is about a century old. Acrylic probably less. Wood and bone have been used for knife handles for MILLENNIA. Plus, they look and feel so much better. Acrylic and micarta do nothing for me. (I have a nice fixed blade with a micarta handle that I like and use; I just don't want it on a traditional folder, especially if I'm shelling out $100 for it!). We each have our preferences. Not trying to start an argument and not trying to persuade. Just stating my preferences. (Ivory and stag are my favourites, but not choices in this poll). Whatever wins, wins.

The jigging they did for Charlie's #48 SFO no more than a year and a half ago (especially in the chestnut bone) was simply gorgeous.

Except that GEC had problems with it and some knives had less than stellar jigging, mine included, if I could have seen the knife before purchase I would not have bought it. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back