• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like traditional. Micarta is about a century old. Acrylic probably less. Wood and bone have been used for knife handles for MILLENNIA. Plus, they look and feel so much better. Acrylic and micarta do nothing for me. (I have a nice fixed blade with a micarta handle that I like and use; I just don't want it on a traditional folder, especially if I'm shelling out $100 for it!). We each have our preferences. Not trying to start an argument and not trying to persuade. Just stating my preferences. (Ivory and stag are my favourites, but not choices in this poll). Whatever wins, wins.
Agreed. We are beyond persuading any one.
W
Ebony, Cocobolo, Rosewood or Desert Ironwood would all be lovely and really fit the heavy duty traditional nature of the knife. It would really be a deal maker for me.
I agree with your point as to the nature of this knife. I picture the knife as the traditional chosen by the worker or sailor. The Blade is going to be fantastic. The jigging will be fine, but it takes away from the blade. I repeat again, that there will be plenty of nice wood that will enhance the overall look. Aside from Ebony, Teak, Walnut, or a nice Burl.

I voted for wood....but all this talk of cougars...I had to get a comparison of these two...Tidioute Grizzly claw on the left Northfield Cougar claw on the right..
Cougar is nice but rough n ready compared to the noble ,handsome Grizzly.
20190306-083850.jpg

This is the 48 with poorly done bone, not pleasing to the eye at all, looks like they started out trying to make its even then went to random and left large areas of unjigged bone,

IMG_6771.jpg

They can do excellent bone, the Maher&Grosh and these 15's are very nice examples,

IMG_7966.jpg IMG_6879.jpg

I feel that for the large Jack we are going to get wood is the better choice and definitely not saw cut bone, saw cut is for Barlows, not Jacks.

I will be happy with either one of the leading choices but decided on smooth wood. The more I think about it the more I like it for this knife.

Except that GEC had problems with it and some knives had less than stellar jigging, mine included, if I could have seen the knife before purchase I would not have bought it. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

This is the 48 with poorly done bone, not pleasing to the eye at all, looks like they started out trying to make its even then went to random and left large areas of unjigged bone,

View attachment 1085728

They can do excellent bone, the Maher&Grosh and these 15's are very nice examples,

View attachment 1085729 View attachment 1085730

I feel that for the large Jack we are going to get wood is the better choice and definitely not saw cut bone, saw cut is for Barlows, not Jacks.
Thanks for posting this.
IIRC the bone on the 48 SFO was requested to be "the Navy knife random jigging". It ended up quite different and the variation among the 48 run was surprising.
Agree on the sawcut bone, as well. I think many of the jigged bone votes will end up voting sawcut when the time comes.

I ended up with different jigging patterns on the two 48's I picked up.
Xn4IU3o.jpg

VOTE WOOD!:)

Last edited:
It may grow there, but it's been growing and been used for all manner of stuff in Europe far longer;) Good link as it points out Juniper is robust material, just never seen in on an American knife myself. Another reason for change:cool:

True and true.

All this talk of juniper. Now I'm craving a martini!

You buying?

And that smell! :thumbsup:

(sorry could not resist :D)

:D

Right! Another vote for Juniper there......:cool:

:thumbsup:

Scratted, scratted, scratted!!! WHOO HOO! COME ON SCRATTED!!!

I know right!? I've been sayin!!!

Juniper ACRYLIC! lol or scratted/jigged acrylic for maximum texture.

Or just plain clear Lexan polycarbonate. Bullet-proof and will last FOREVER!!!

Juniper bolsters, acrylic blade, and scratted carbon steel handles.

Thanks for posting this.
IIRC the bone on the 48 SFO was requested to be "the Navy knife random jigging". It ended up quite different and the variation among the 48 run was surprising.
Agree on the sawcut bone, as well. I think many of the jigged bone votes will end up voting sawcut when the time comes.

I ended up with different jigging patterns on the two 48's I picked up.
Xn4IU3o.jpg

#VOTE WOOD!:)
Perfect example of just how much variation the bone will most assuredly end up having across the run. I don't think it's a wise choice to request for this knife personally unless you enjoy playing the cover lottery and certainly not in keeping with the theme of the knife as a whole.

I have taken some time to read the constructive suggestions and comments before voting.
The Smooth Bone ( preferably blue ) would get my vote if I thought it could win.
I am voting for Jigged Bone, knowing that most likely, I will be fine with what ends up being made, but hoping for RED SAWED BONE.
I would also be happy to see Ebony Wood with a classy diamond or crest shield.
Regardless of the vote outcome, I am buying at least one Forum Knife as I think it will be a winner.
With all the options available, this is why most of us have more than one slip joint and sometimes a few with a variety of scales in the same pattern.

My vote has been in for jigged bone. But I keep thinking about changing it over to smooth wood for a lot of the reasons previously stated. For the first time with the blue Pembertons I did not like the jigging. Also the bad dye job on a bunch of the blood red jigged bone 85's.

I will probably switch my vote to smooth wood before the poll ends. Such a hard choice here. o_O

Admittedly I have no idea how the process will unfold once turned over to the manufacturer

BUT - doesn't it seem logical that upon receiving an order for a special YEARLY edition knife for a BLADE FORUM- presumably a discriminating and vocal lot of knife aficionados - that the company would give the word that they will up the QC (within reason for a production lot) on this run?

Yes, there could be some mismatched scales expected on a percentage of knives but don't you think that extra care would be the rule?

Just askin'.

Ray

Here is a thought experiment:

Those of you voting for jigged bone: imagine your ideal, favorite color and jigging style. How picky are you about what bone you like? Would you be terribly disappointed if that color and style is not chosen or achieved?

Those of you voting for wood: imagine your ideal, favorite choice of wood. How disappointed would you be if that type is not chosen?

Even a disappointing wood is better that lackluster bone. ;) Worst case scenario: it's boring, but it won't be ugly. I say wood is the safer choice!

Having made my campaign speech, I'll also say that whichever choice is made, I expect this to be a very nice knife. Designing by committee is always an interesting experience, but we've come up with some great cutlery!

Last edited:
Here is a thought experiment:

Those of you voting for jigged bone: imagine your ideal, favorite color and jigging style. How picky are you about what bone you like? Would you be terribly disappointed if that color and style is not chosen or achieved?

Those of you voting for wood: imagine your ideal, favorite choice of wood. How disappointed would you be if that type is not chosen?

Even a disappointing wood is better that lackluster bone. ;) Worse case scenario: it's boring, but it won't be ugly. I say wood is the safer choice!

Having made my campaign speech, I'll also say that whichever choice is made, I expect this to be a very nice knife. Designing by committee is always an interesting experience, but we've come up with some great cutlery!
Wise words and well stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back