• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of feel like some of the folks voting for the "safe, consistent" smooth wood option might be the same folks with drawers full of GEC's with elaborate jigging (HAHA... not meant to be offensive so please don''t get the hackles up). That being said, they probably also have safes full of perfect smooth ebony, cocobolo and other cool woods as well. There absolutely isn't anything wrong with that. That's why it's called a hobby and people should be free to do as they please. I could certainly be wrong but if GEC's jigging was so inconsistent and awful then why do these types of knives sell out in literally minutes? Maybe because it isn't all that bad? Maybe because people are flipping em? Who knows... I'm just having fun with this process. What a cool thing to be able to have input on a great knife from a world class knife maker.

I voted Jigged Bone, but I would be fine with smooth wood.

Here’s my favorites. These are knives I don’t think I would ever sell. If GEC even came close to this jigging, it would be good enough for me!

6thh88.jpg

mj1spc.jpg

2s799ox.jpg

Copperhead Jig Bone with African Blackwood.... I prefer it over Ebony
1shxsy.jpg

My other wood choice would be Bocote. I haven’t seen any with terrible grain.... the striping seems pretty consistent.

opsnqw.jpg

I think wood is the safer choice for the forum knife. GEC's jigging has been inconsistent lately.
is there a pic of this someone could pm me...dont want to turn the thread. thanks in advance.

I've seen a few folks say something to this effect.....but all pics I seen look pretty darn good. not saying anyone isnt telling the truth or anything just not sure what inconsistent means?

I voted Jigged Bone, but I would be fine with smooth wood.

Here’s my favorites. These are knives I don’t think I would ever sell. If GEC even came close to this jigging, it would be good enough for me!

6thh88.jpg

mj1spc.jpg

2s799ox.jpg

Copperhead Jig Bone with African Blackwood.... I prefer it over Ebony
1shxsy.jpg

My other wood choice would be Bocote. I haven’t seen any with terrible grain.... the striping seems pretty consistent.

opsnqw.jpg
All fine examples of some really nice jigged bone.

For all of the folks voting for the "safe" choice...I think you're overlooking micarta.

What's more consistent than wood?
MICARTA!!

There's still plenty of time left to switch from wood to the truly safe choice...micarta.

:)
lifes all about taking some calculated risk...that's bone and wood in this example.......:D

For all of the folks voting for the "safe" choice...I think you're overlooking micarta.

MICARTA!!

There's still plenty of time left to switch from wood to the truly safe choice...micarta.

If it is randomly symmetrical smooth jigged micarta I'll switch from smooth bone. Symmetrically random jigged smooth micarta and I'm out.

is there a pic of this someone could pm me...dont want to turn the thread. thanks in advance.

I've seen a few folks say something to this effect.....but all pics I seen look pretty darn good. not saying anyone isnt telling the truth or anything just not sure what inconsistent means?
Most of us are saying it for effect, trying to sway votes. GEC jigging isn't bad at all, some is down right nice. There are a few examples that are pretty lackluster, but on the whole it's a safe bet. Not as safe as wood though... :D

Most of us are saying it for effect, trying to sway votes. GEC jigging isn't bad at all, some is down right nice. There are a few examples that are pretty lackluster, but on the whole it's a safe bet. Not as safe as wood though... :D
understood. thanks for clearing that up for me. while I havent seen every jigged gec, cant say I've seen what I'd call a batch of bad ones.

I disagree cbr1000 cbr1000 , “saying it for effect” while admitting it is not true is not my idea of having fun.

My point is that this process is completely the opposite of the good natured friendship we enjoy on the Porch. I question whether it does more harm than good.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think maybe the totally awesome acrylic isn't going to come from behind...

I will certainly switch my vote, but where??? Wood is very persuasive at this point. No Osage tho, right?:D

“...aying it for effect, trying to sway votes...”

I am beginning to believe it would be better to not have a Forum Knife. This annual debacle seems to tear at the fabric of everything I like about the Porch.

I think everyone is having fun trying to sway votes. Whatever we end up with will be nice. It's the same process every year and the end result is routinely 500 happy people.

I think the real question at this point is which side will set up a giveaway to entice voters to switch to their side.

For all of the folks voting for wood, the "safe" choice...I think you're overlooking micarta.

MICARTA!!

Nothing truly great ever came from playing it ‘safe’.

Take a chance!! This could quite possibly be the finest Bladeforums knife ever made! I’ll admit my preferences haven’t been entirely met, but this is shaping up to be a pretty nice looking knife..... some good jigging would be icing!

I disagree cbr1000 cbr1000 , “saying it for effect” while admitting it is not true is not my idea of having fun.

My point is that this process is completely the opposite of the good natured friendship we enjoy on the Porch. I question whether it does more harm than good.

I agree. Great observation. If one wins by one vote, it will not foster love for our neighbors.

Nothing truly great ever came from playing it ‘safe’.

Take a chance!! This could quite possibly be the finest Bladeforums knife ever made! I’ll admit my preferences haven’t been entirely met, but this is shaping up to be a pretty nice looking knife..... some good jigging would be icing!
Oh, I didn't say I was voting for "safe". I was just pointing out that if "safe" is what a person wants...they should really be voting for micarta over wood.

I'm going to vote for what I will like the most, and have no fear, for we are in good hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back