• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, but Blue is easily the least likely color to be true to the mock up!

Wrap that boy up in some antique callico and we might improve the chances of it looking the same as the drawing.

These two are my favs so far...I know they are fairly common materials but it just looks right to me.
View attachment 1085922
View attachment 1085923

Can you change the pins from brass colored to silver steel color?

On a side note, your pin depth on the wood mock up's is spot on. On the Jigged bone I think they should have a couple recessed pins and varied depths for accuracy :p

Last edited:
Hmmm Jigged bone or smooth wood? I don't feel qualified enough to break this Tie so I'm just gonna have a seat on the porch and see what transpires but I am sure that I will fully enjoy the fruits of everyone's labor in the end.

Oil suckered rod wood always seems to catch my eye. Interesting history and a fairly uniform gray color.
The best part is the smell...pure Pennsylvania crude! The ones I have or have had actually have a nice sheen and grain to them.

Most sucker rods were ash, but not all...an underrated wood, in my opinion. I have no clue if sucker rod would be a possibility, but I'd love it on this knife.

Requesting a specific color and/or jigging is fair game. The factory ability to reproduce a specific color or jigging may be an entirely different story. This is not one that you get to decide after you see the production pictures coming thru :)

I respectfully suggest that all of the jigged bone voters carefully re-read knifeswapper's post.

I think black and white ebony is very difficult to work with. Bark River discontinued using it because, I think, of issues with cracking and breaking. I remember reading Mike Stewart talking about a high attrition rate with raw material. Basically if he bought "X" number of material (board feet?) he got "X%" of usable content out of it. And it wasn't a very good percentage.

Perhaps the white is sapwood, and the black is heartwood? Different moisture content and hardnesses would create tension in kiln drying.
Several have expressed a strong desire that ebony be pure black. That's understandable, even though I always thought the chocolate streaks were beautiful. The demand for ebony used for knife scales is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the demand for it in the musical instrument industry. A $3500 Les Paul, or a $16,000 cello has enough ebony for a dozen or more knives. And pure black is demanded.
Unfortunately, that ship has mostly sailed. The scarcity, real, or imposed by CITES, is going to make your pure black ebony a thing of memory. Guitar makers are already moving on to other, more sustainable woods.

Only one vote separates the bone from wood!! This one will come down to the very end...

Sounds like we get more fun polls, if the jigged bone option is picked. I'm voting for more polls! ;)

Last edited:
These two are my favs so far...I know they are fairly common materials but it just looks right to me.
View attachment 1085922
View attachment 1085923

I have to agree, my favorites so far also, just a classy vintage look, Ebony, Cocobolo, Ironwood or Bocote would all look great with that shield. Vintage Challenge Ebony Jack with a shield close to that one, pure class.

IMG_9447.jpg

Just now getting back into traditional knives, as a matter of fact, I ordered a Case Mini Copperlock in Premium Burnt Stag from your shop yesterday. How can you get on the list for one of these knives, or are they all already spoken for?

Just now getting back into traditional knives, as a matter of fact, I ordered a Case Mini Copperlock in Premium Burnt Stag from your shop yesterday. How can you get on the list for one of these knives, or are they all already spoken for?
No ordering yet.
We're still deciding how to dress it.
Oh what fun it is.:)

GEC is located in Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania means "Penn's woods". Wood from William Penn's woodland would make sense.

I would switch from jigged bone for something like this. Here are some examples of Pennsylvania Curly Maple, described as incredible by their maker from South Carolina.

49696389_613147019146010_4640576729404063689_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back