• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I, for one, am enjoying the banter, the jibing, the negotiating, arm twisting, whining, jeering, enthusiasm, persuasive and not so persuasive discourse. Of course this is an opinionated bunch. Some will win, some will lose, at least incrementally. The ultimate knife will be pretty cool and unique.

Seems to me the porch is just getting more rugged for all this dancing on it! :)
Dance on my brothers and sisters. Dosey Doe don't 'cha know.

There, that's my sincere pep talk du jour :rolleyes:

:D Ray

Last edited:
I don't yet own a high quality wooden handled traditional knife. I have a couple Opinels, that I really appreciate, and a tiny old dilapidated Browning stockman whose pins are falling out, but nothing that would be considered heirloom quality.

I'm hoping this will be my first sturdy, snappy, handsome wood handled knife that will last a lifetime.

You are correct, but he is not referring to the spun spring pin. He is complaining about the fact that GEC uses set length slab pins and on many slabs, especially variable textured, they will be recessed. The desire is for custom cut / peened pins for the slabs.

Well, this subject has been turned over many a time, and doubtless will again ;)

But I just like the pins on a wood handled knife to be more or less the same, flat or domed (or all sink hole if you must :D) I have quite a lot of knives in my custody, obviously nothing like your range, yet I find the few CASE knives I've had in wood and the Queen/Schatt ones and knives from Europe don't have sink-holes. They are not custom knives either. GEC have their reasons but it just does not look as well finished to my eye IF one of the pins is a deep well on the slabs, that's all ;)

Others don't mind it, evidently.:) I do.

Schatt Heritage, flat steel pins on Coco

VvXchhs.jpg

Last edited:
I just tied it up with a vote for jigged bone. Biggest reason is it's the least prone to variation of the choices I would be interested in. After last year's knife I'm looking for a safer bet.

If you want to ensure a perfectly jigged & dyed, or colored & pinned whatever, then you might as well save your money and get a custom knife.

Part of the fun of bone and wood is the character they each exhibit as natural materials. Micarta is consistent because it can be manufactured. I understand the preferences for consistency, but a vote for bone or wood is a vote for surprise!

If you want to ensure a perfectly jigged & dyed, or colored & pinned whatever, then you might as well save your money and get a custom knife.

Part of the fun of bone and wood is the character they each exhibit as natural materials. Micarta is consistent because it can be manufactured. I understand the preferences for consistency, but a vote for bone or wood is a vote for surprise!

Very well said. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jigged bone might have some variation which is fine but the range in attractiveness is much smaller than with most wood, acrylic or smooth bone. Of those on the list only micarta or a wood like ebony would be more consistent. Although certain smooth bones could be close.

With jigged bone, they have to use the dome spinner tool on the center spring pin. It's not uncommon for the tool to go to deep and cut into the jigged bone. You can see it on a couple of the knives in Zolthar's pic right after your post. Wood, micarta, and acrylic have the center spring pin ground off so it's smooth with the scales.

Yup, this. Vote smooth wood with steel pins for pin perfection!

I haven’t participated in the polls for the forum knife previously, and had no idea the discussion would get so ......... spirited. But we are a passionate bunch, right? :)

One vote for jigged bone, the possibilities are too good.

Jigged bone might have some variation which is fine but the range in attractiveness is much smaller than with most wood, acrylic or smooth bone. Of those on the list only micarta or a wood like ebony would be more consistent. Although certain smooth bones could be close.

That's closer to an opinion than a fact as far as range of attractiveness is concerned. Personally, I prefer wood to bone, but in this run I'm more interested in getting some sort of jigging, which isn't going to happen with wood.

Maybe I'm thick between the ears.... I read the story, and while a nice story, I don't see what connection it has to selecting handles for a knife?... Maybe someone can explain what I'm missing....
The description of the knife(tough, dark wood, the captain’s profession, and the way our knife with it’s big, bad, beautiful sheepsfoot blade, sounds similar. It was just my take, nothing more.

I don't yet own a high quality wooden handled traditional knife. I have a couple Opinels, that I really appreciate, and a tiny old dilapidated Browning stockman whose pins are falling out, but nothing that would be considered heirloom quality.

I'm hoping this will be my first sturdy, snappy, handsome wood handled knife that will last a lifetime.

Pein those pins, and they won’t be falling out. Very easy to do.

Or is it peen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back