• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone earlier mentioned how while ebony is very classic and elegant it is also a frequent flyer... I'm seeing the other side of the coin now but I still voted smooth wood... I like the banner shield too but I'd love a federal shield...maybe I've been looking at the old catalogue thread too much because my perfect knife woule be ebony+federal shield and a long pull. So classic. I've enjoyed this process and am hoping i get a chance at one of these knives.

Well, this subject has been turned over many a time, and doubtless will again ;)

But I just like the pins on a wood handled knife to be more or less the same, flat or domed (or all sink hole if you must :D) I have quite a lot of knives in my custody, obviously nothing like your range, yet I find the few CASE knives I've had in wood and the Queen/Schatt ones and knives from Europe don't have sink-holes. They are not custom knives either. GEC have their reasons but it just does not look as well finished to my eye IF one of the pins is a deep well on the slabs, that's all ;)

Others don't mind it, evidently.:) I do.

Schatt Heritage, flat steel pins on Coco

VvXchhs.jpg
I agree. This a remark I heard often when showing GEC knives to someone who never seen one. Reaction always the same : too bad that sunken pin... they should use a longer one or have a less powerful machine. :)
ps nice red on that S&M :thumbsup:

I agree. This a remark I heard often when showing GEC knives to someone who never seen one. Reaction always the same : too bad that sunken pin... they should use a longer one or have a less powerful machine. :)
ps nice red on that S&M :thumbsup:

Do they say "too bad that sunken pin, I would rather have a big fat crack from the pin to the perimeter" or do they say "too bad that sunken pin, I like my slabs to work loose over time". :D

The description of the knife(tough, dark wood, the captain’s profession, and the way our knife with it’s big, bad, beautiful sheepsfoot blade, sounds similar. It was just my take, nothing more.

Gotcha….. Sometimes I have trouble seeing the obvious..... Thanks..

Someone earlier mentioned how while ebony is very classic and elegant it is also a frequent flyer... I'm seeing the other side of the coin now but I still voted smooth wood... I like the banner shield too but I'd love a federal shield...maybe I've been looking at the old catalogue thread too much because my perfect knife woule be ebony+federal shield and a long pull. So classic. I've enjoyed this process and am hoping i get a chance at one of these knives.

Federal and Banner both look good. Have you seen the Diamond mock-up?

Je0GKr5.jpg

Wood lovers can just vow to vote for the seagulls jigging and hotdog shield if they don't get their way....
BTW, jigged bone supports are taking names of wood voters....

Tsk Tsk, Mike :eek: - fomenting dissent and retribution!!!
Be nice!!:cool:

He probably just has an SFO coming in a nice random jigged autumn gold bone and doesn't want the competition :D (like there is competition)

Actually, my next SFO will have Smooth Ebony!! I happen to like smooth, dark wood on substantial, hefty - muscular if you will - knives!! Subtle, warm and exuding strength. Not showy!
Solid and dependable in an uncertain world!!
Ebony for BF 1.jpg

Not usually the case in history, but I too prefer brass pins with reddish, brownish woods, and steel/nickel with Black. And ideally, the liners should match the pins!!

Pein those pins, and they won’t be falling out. Very easy to do.

Or is it peen?

I love fixing things, and would try to peen them if it was worth it.

If I ever get around to posting pictures of it, I'll make sure to tag you, but I think it's beyond saving. When I received it, one pin was already fully missing, and the covers were so weathered they'd shriveled away to nothing at some points, revealing the flat parts of the brass scales that are meant to be hidden.

I still like having it, but it's more of a historical relic than a functional tool. This potential wood covered forum knife would really scratch an itch of mine.

Do they say "too bad that sunken pin, I would rather have a big fat crack from the pin to the perimeter" or do they say "too bad that sunken pin, I like my slabs to work loose over time". :D
None of that, they just say"too bad to spoil such a good job". And they know what they're talking about. :)

It appears to me that you can get Ebony on most any SFO or new model , but it has been very hard to get to choose some Good Jigging . If we can specify the Random Jigging like on the Rope Knife SFO , that would be more unique than Ebony by far .

Harry

My initial vote was for Jigged Bone. I’ve been paying close attention to everyone’s posts and the pros and cons for their particular choices. I have decided to change my vote to smooth wood. My reasoning behind my choice to change my vote is simple. Today is Wooden Wednesday here on the Traditional forum and in choosing my carries for the day I suddenly realized something that I already knew. I really like wood! I think that there will be less chances of disappointment with smooth wood. Charlie’s post helped persuade me to change my vote. Words of wisdom from a very knowledgeable gentleman! I’m also in total agreement on the choice of pin and liner materials and reasonings. :)

Actually, my next SFO will have Smooth Ebony!! I happen to like smooth, dark wood on substantial, hefty - muscular if you will - knives!! Subtle, warm and exuding strength. Not showy!
View attachment 1086239

Not usually the case in history, but I too prefer brass pins with reddish, brownish woods, and steel/nickel with Black. And ideally, the liners should match the pins!!

It appears to me that you can get Ebony on most any SFO or new model , but it has been very hard to get to choose some Good Jigging . If we can specify the Random Jigging like on the Rope Knife SFO , that would be more unique than Ebony by far .

Harry

Yes, but all relative. Out of all the forum knives there's only been 2 with wood covers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but if I recall there's been 4 bone. So, even though Ebony is readily available, it hasn't been used for a forum knife. GEC uses Jigged bone almost every run.

Tsk Tsk, Mike :eek: - fomenting dissent and retribution!!!
Be nice!!:cool:

View attachment 1086239

ebony-for-bf-1-jpg.1086239

Beauties, Charlie! :thumbsup: Love how those shields look so right with those old knives...especially the Banner, Bow Tie, and Propeller...one of which everyone should vote for after smooth wood wins the poll. :thumbsup::cool::D
ETA: wood not bone...doh!

Last edited:
Yes, but all relative. Out of all the forum knives there's only been 2 with wood covers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but if I recall there's been 4 bone. So, even though Ebony is readily available, it hasn't been used for a forum knife. GEC uses Jigged bone almost every run.
Most of the Jigged Bone they have been making is not what I call Jigged Bone but Machined or Cut Bone . If we can get Desert Ironwood , I could go for that .

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back