• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be frank, I don't think there is a wood out there that I would be displeased with. It generally is my favorite cover material.

Though my vision for this knife involves a black wood of a sort and my collection is largely comprised of knives that are covered in such, I will certainly welcome whatever the majority decides upon. It really is hard to go wrong with wood.

Some Cocobolo from 2017.

YfCpdSd.jpg
I think the cocobolo they have been using recently has been great!
Example:
IMG_20190123_141228.jpg

My daughter has three AB clarinets. Two are black, the third is tigerstriped - black and very dark red-ish brown. The tigerstriped one might be my favorite from an aesthetics standpoint. AB has superior mechanical properties to ebony - less likely to crack around pins.

Here's another of Mike's 48 SFO in African Blackwood, showing a few lighter streaks. Photo taken just about 2 years ago when the knife was new. I just brought it outside to take another look, and it now seems to be quite a bit darker to me...either it has darkened some naturally, or my eyes don't take in what my cheap old Fuji camera will. One of the best-looking, and most well-made knives I have. :thumbsup:

ngFOnZa.jpg

JGqCGLF.jpg

This Boker Barlow is in Genadill wood, AKA Mpingo, AKA African Blackwood. Black -probably a more normal shade for this wood?

5XPs54p.jpg

GE Jr GE Jr I have one of Mike's 2 blade AB 48's. Mine looks a lot like yours. I just had it out the other day. An excellent knife that seems to be a bit underestimated how good it is.

Every time I see those African Blackwood Improved Trappers, I regret not being more privy to how SFOs and GEC's releases worked at the time. I think these 48s were released shortly after I joined the forums and started to get to know things.

Beautiful knives and definitely one of the very few 48s I am truly interested in. I liked the Bloodwood ones as well.

Every time I see those African Blackwood Improved Trappers, I regret not being more privy to how SFOs and GEC's releases worked at the time. I think these 48s were released shortly after I joined the forums and started to get to know things.

Beautiful knives and definitely one of the very few 48s I am truly interested in. I liked the Bloodwood ones as well.

It maximizes the amount of blade you get for size/weight. It's packed full of cutting goodness in a comfortable size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back