• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The main issue I see with it is it's been a long time since we've seen a GEC with that jigging, and there's no indication that it's even on the table here. I like it, but feel like that picture is being taken as the exact jigging we are voting on since it's the pic being circulated on these threads.
Correct there is no assurance we would get jigging like that. I keep using it because I think it fairly represents the kind of jigging most folks would want (I took it directly from a photo of a Diamond Jack). I'll put a few more styles together so we can get a broader view of what jigged bone might look like on this pattern.

I voted for bone jigged but in all honestly I lust for wood that is scratted or checkered (see post #60). Since there is no hope of either I would rather do a jigged bone. I will be buying a knife no matter what. I know we are very likely going to end up with a smooth ebony and I'm at peace with that.

I would rather have jigged, checkered, scratted, sawcut or any other type of texture than smooth, regardless of whether it's bone or wood. Jigged bone is the one choice that has a chance, so that's what I voted.

I would rather have jigged, checkered, scratted, sawcut or any other type of texture than smooth, regardless of whether it's bone or wood. Jigged bone is the one choice that has a chance, so that's what I voted.
Let's all agree to change our votes to textured wood then and be done with it! The only reason people want textured bone is so they can vote for sawcut because they missed out on some SFO with that cover. Truly unique would in fact be textured wood here correct? Let's do it! Who's in?

I know I'm new to the traditional side of the forum and this would be my first real traditional purchased so my tastes may be way off, but I'm surprised I'm the only one who voted for micarta so far; I feel it would be fantastic.

Makes more sense now if it's been on prior forum knives, since I tend to buy knives I use a lot I've come to like Micarta over wood, I'm a fan of the texture and it looks pretty good when done right.

I'm good with whatever the final result is, I'll certainly be buying it regardless.

Nice to see you in these parts, Matt, was a heck of a surprise. :D

But yes, as others stated, Micarta was done on the 2017 knife and the only reason that I think we ended up with Micarta was because it was THE option we were provided with. Otherwise, I do not think it would have made it. Bone, wood, and stag reign supreme here in most cases.

Personally, I LOVE Micarta on my fixed blades but do not care for it on my traditional slip joints generally. The rare exception being a Sodbuster type or a slip joint with more modern flair.

These are two of the very few I have clad in Micarta (slip joints, that is). The one on the left is the 2017 Forum Knife.

kJG7MLD.jpg

I enjoy the narratives throughout so far such as:
"We can have a truly unique knife from GEC instead of one of a million made Bucks!"

Then, when cover options are available, everyone chooses the same old, same old jigged bone or smooth wood.

What happened to that desire for something truly unique? Let's get weird. Scratted or checkered wood would be -really- unique.
They already gave us unique with the option of no end cap and weird with the saber ground sheepfoot.

As we have collectively chosen a bare-head design, I believe it would be best to have a durable hardwood to prevent the inevitable crack at the rear pin we see all too often on the vintage bare-head knives. Ebony would be a beautiful choice here or another hardwood that would be crack resistant.

Another great knife shaping up here - thank you to all that are doing the hard work behind the scenes.

best regards -

mqqn

Nice to see you in these parts, Matt, was a heck of a surprise. :D

My interest in traditionals has been piqued for a few years but nothing really jumped out at me, the last couple forums knives just weren't my style. I think you've single-handedly kept my interest up with your pictures in other threads and such, but when I happened to wander by and see the thread about the forum knife's base design I decided to start voting because I knew I was going to get one. I figure if I'm going to have a first nice traditional it may as well be a forum knife, I like supporting good causes and this seems like a great little venture. :)

Well, it looks like me and three other people voted for micarta. I’m honestly surprised there weren’t votes for micarta. I’m still very excited for this and on board to get one as long as I’m approved with my post history.

This knife will go to work with me, so durability is key. I voted micarta. Sawcut bone would be my second choice. That being said, I'll buy two regardless of the cover material.

I'm for the smooth bone as of now. I know (in my mind :p) that ebony wood and a bow tie shield would look great. But I also really like the model that Darren waverave waverave made up showing jigged bone.

Would GEC be up to doing the Forum Knife run with jigged bone like they did with Charlie's Rope Knife...or similar? Looks fantastic. Also looks to be quite a bit more labor intensive. Just wondering if the added cost of that particular jigging (or checkering, etc.) would exceed the price confines of the Forum Knife?

I'm stuck on the Jobillo! Thank you Waverave.
2019_bf_matchstriker_jobillo_banner_shield_barehead-jpg.1083887

This one looks great!! Absolutely love the Banner shield.

Ok here are some examples from each category to help...

Bone Jigged
View attachment 1085077

I voted jigged Bone. This is my choice right there. Wouldn’t mind the star or banner shield on this...

knifeswapper knifeswapper can you tell us what the wood options would be? Personally, I would vote wood if I knew my choices were available..... African Blackwood or Bocote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back