• Cocobolo

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Che Chen

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your work Mike, looking forward to this poll too.

I'm hesitant to vote for any woods that are listed in the CITES Appendices or reported as threatened by the IUCN. Using a wood that's in danger is something to easily avoid. I'm far from an expert on this, so I compiled this list with info from www.wood-database.com.

1. African Blackwood
    African blackwood is listed on CITES appendix II under the genus-wide restriction on all Dalbergia species—which also includes finished products made of the wood. It's also reported by the IUCN as being near threatened. Technically it doesn't meet the Red List criteria of a vulnerable or endangered species, but is close to qualifying and/or may qualify in the near future.
  2. Bocote
    This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
  3. Bloodwood
    This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
  4. Ebony (I don't know which kind of ebony is intended, so this info is for Gaboon Ebony)
    This wood species is in CITES Appendix II (for Diospyros species from Madagascar), and is on the IUCN Red List. It is listed as endangered due to a population reduction of over 50% in the past three generations, caused by exploitation.
  5. Kingwood
    Although Kingwood is not evaluated on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, it is listed on CITES appendix II under the genus-wide restriction on all Dalbergia species—which also includes finished products made of the wood.
  6. Jobillo
  7. Desert Ironwood
    This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. However, Desert Ironwood (known as palo fierro in Spanish) is considered a protected species in Mexico due to overexploitation and diminishing natural habitat.
  8. Osage Orange
  9. Cocobolo
    Cocobolo is listed on CITES appendix II under the genus-wide restriction on all Dalbergia species—which also includes finished products made of the wood. It is also listed on the IUCN Red List as vulnerable due to a population reduction of over 20% in the past three generations, caused by a decline in its natural range, and exploitation.
  10. Che Chen
Reviewing this list, that would leave Bocote, Bloodwood, Jobillo, Osage Orange, Chechen, and Desert Ironwood (as long as it isn't sourced from Mexico) as options. All seem like fine choices. As well, if the specific kind of Ebony could be confirmed, that would eliminate my guess that Gaboon Ebony is what's intended.

If someone more knowledgeable than me would be able to offer why this list isn't something to be ignored, I'd be happy to listen.
_____
Edit -
I hope I don't sound like too much of a downer, just trying to make conscientious decisions as a consumer. I'm trying to learn.

Last edited:
Ebony. Some think of grains and pores as to be adding character.
D07E232E-EC8C-4DF6-A020-1F3AA8711364_zpszmcd94xw.jpeg

Can I just say that if you honestly picked ebony as your choice you would be wise, IMO of course to switch to African Blackwood. It's pretty much ebony but better
I know blackwood is more dense but isn't the blackwood more likely to have brown streaks in it than the ebony. In other words - Isn't it going to be harder to find a black blackwood than a black ebony?

I know blackwood is more dense but isn't the blackwood more likely to have brown streaks in it than the ebony. In other words - Isn't it going to be harder to find a black blackwood than a black ebony?
From what I've read it's the opposite but I am certainly no expert.

Not sure. The 2 GEC Blackwoods I have are jet black and take a high polish. The 3 Ebonies from GEC are varied, one chocolate streaked the other 2 black but less lustre. From other makers, Ebony all dark but quite 'dry' looking.

Let's hear others' experiences.

pretty great selection from GEc.

its also nice to hear the reasons why certain woods are disfavored.

good times!

Hey Guys?
Who wants to join my secret Jobillo club?
Its free to join!
We have great activities !
(although these may take place in different parts of the world at different times and be participated in on an individual basis)

You get to make your own personal Hobbit name !
(the first syllable of either your first or Surname with "billo" attached.)

Every three hundred years* we have a fun, beaut "Dark Summoning"...where we
Imbibe poisonous plant juice!
Leap naked through flames!
and offer ourselves as human sacrifices to the Great Demon Merkosias...(Lord of the Hell of too many choices and votechanging)

*last Dark Summoning took place in February 2019 ..so you're pretty right for that one although it is compulsory.
Sound like fun? Well its a "hell" of a good time! lol.
SO what are you waiting for? Vote Jobillo and today only and for the next six weeks you get automatic membership and a 50% discount off your joining fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back