Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back Ted!! I'm sorry to hear you have been ill, and hope you are doing OK now!!?? Nice post on the Forum knife, and the mentions and pics of those past!
I thought I'd put in a picture of my 2012, the Wharncliffe trapper!! A useful and good-looking assemblage of blades IMO!
What'll we do this year?? I'm surprised no-one has started that thread yet!! And here we are in January!!:eek:
:D
View attachment 1262758
Oh man , this knife gives me a great idea for a 2020 Blade Forum knife. A #23 Wharncliffe/spear blade Trapper Chocolate Almond peach-seed bone with bomb shield . I think Chocolate Almond peach-seed bone was the best new color bone scales of any blade maker in 2019. GEC smooth Honey bone with a bomb shield or antique black jigged bone with a bomb shield would be cool too.

Last edited:
Oh man , this knife gives me a great idea for a 2020 Blade Forum knife. A #23 Wharncliffe/spear blade Trapper Chocolate Almond peach-seed bone with bomb shield . I think Chocolate Almond peach-seed bone was the best new color bone scales of any blade maker in 2019. GEC smooth Honey bone with a bomb shield would be cool too.

I’ll second that! Wharncliffe/spear trapper would be irresistible for me.

DqvBRSU.jpg

Heck, we can beef it up and keep it on the #86 frame and model it after a classic “stabber jack”. I have always wanted a modern version of one. While I know Will Power Will Power would prefer something a little more svelte, I prefer a more hearty blade:D

No, I actually think that's extremely suitable:cool: A Stabber Jack (Barehead mind....) would be a fine addition. There's not been a single Spear yet, the 11 and 16 editions had fine Spears but had additionals such as crown lifter and punch as did an early CS Canoe type. Ideally, it would be on a Swell End frame or more bulbous Teardrop than the 11 (a great pattern that ushered in a wonderful frame) with a Rat-Tail. Two variants: Smooth Ivory Bone and Osage Orange :) Ok that's settled, no polls no bickering:D Let's hope a Top Man concludes the deal with GEC next week:D;) as a gesture, I'll even keep quiet about a stainless version as I know it's a bridge too far;)

Mind you, a single Spear Talon in Smooth Bone/Camel (Apollosa?) with all steel would be a pretty fair alternative, a dressy one with Rat-Tail and Banner like the Galvanics:cool: and it's an 'off the shelf ' pattern too:thumbsup:

Here's the 2011 86 frame a NICE Spear for sure!

lZOQ3S7.jpg

Heck, we can beef it up and keep it on the #86 frame and model it after a classic “stabber jack”. I have always wanted a modern version of one. While I know Will Power Will Power would prefer something a little more svelte, I prefer a more hearty blade:D
That sounds wonderful ! I bought ten GEC#86 folders. The GEC#23 will be coming up in the first quarter. My pre-order OKCA club knife will have the two large blades. Those knives have to be delivered by April 18th for the Oregon Spring Knife Show. No way GEC is going to make us an #86 frame Blade Forum Knife , after we just got one. I wanted Blade Forum member to band together and order a #64 Babylon Hill "old style brass" brass bolsters swing guard knife. We would have to order 500 knives. That might spark off a Babylon Hill #64 run. Did yall know that less than 475 Babylon Hill knives have been produced. After I spotted the #23s were going to be produced , I stopped pitching that idea. We could not asked for a tougher-better knife than a GEC#23 Trapper. I want a GEC#23 single blade with a bull lock. I want a GEC#23 Trapper with a large spear and wharncliffe blade. It is time for me to write another letter to Bill Howard. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

No, I actually think that's extremely suitable:cool: A Stabber Jack (Barehead mind....) would be a fine addition. There's not been a single Spear yet, the 11 and 16 editions had fine Spears but had additionals such as crown lifter and punch as did an early CS Canoe type. Ideally, it would be on a Swell End frame or more bulbous Teardrop than the 11 (a great pattern that ushered in a wonderful frame) with a Rat-Tail. Two variants: Smooth Ivory Bone and Osage Orange :) Ok that's settled, no polls no bickering:D Let's hope a Top Man concludes the deal with GEC next week:D;) as a gesture, I'll even keep quiet about a stainless version as I know it's a bridge too far;)

Mind you, a single Spear Talon in Smooth Bone/Camel (Apollosa?) with all steel would be a pretty fair alternative, a dressy one with Rat-Tail and Banner like the Galvanics:cool: and it's an 'off the shelf ' pattern too:thumbsup:

lZOQ3S7.jpg
That is a wonderful knife. The 2019 GEC#86s is a new run. This 2011 brown peach seed Blade Forum knife is an #85 Bullet end jack. 191 made #852211STL EO

GEC is way overdue for a 2 blade mini trapper........

I’ve often wondered if they’d ever build a 14/15 based improved trapper. That would be a killer knife for me. The 48 is a great size, and the 2012 forum knife is a nice one also, even if a little heavy, still a useful combination. But I think the smaller frame improved trapper would be awesome.

*this is not a recommendation for a forum knife, just chatting. I know that’s not how the forum knife will be decided. If I had sole control over that, it would be a stockman lol.

That is a wonderful knife. The 2019 GEC#86s is a new run. This 2011 brown peach seed Blade Forum knife is an #85 Bullet end jack. 191 made #852211STL EO

Thank you, most kind. Yes it's a Beaut;) Feel lucky to have it from the beginning. But you know, we need more Spears :D;)

Regards, Will

lZOQ3S7.jpg
Great picture, and always nice to see this kind of grail knife!
I always thought it was on a #85 pattern with a teardrop Jack...?
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the second "blade" is the cap lifter, right?

Great picture, and always nice to see this kind of grail knife!
I always thought it was on a #85 pattern with a teardrop Jack...?
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the second "blade" is the cap lifter, right?

Yes you are right, it's a crown (cap lifter) it started a craze ;) It was the FIRST 85 pattern, all others come after it, but it has great virtue in having NS liners not brass like the subsequent versions. Yes it is a Teardrop, but many argue it's a Candle tip pattern as it is distinctly pointed at the end, other types of Teardrop are rounded, bulbous in aspect.

It's a fine knife and I'm attached to it, from time to time :D

Thanks, Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back