Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 2020 controversy ;) Wish I had 20/20 vision o_O Does it mean that anybody who is 20 is a Zero?:D Wish I were 20 again ;) sometimes....

Yes you are right, it's a crown (cap lifter) it started a craze ;) It was the FIRST 85 pattern, all others come after it, but it has great virtue in having NS liners not brass like the subsequent versions. Yes it is a Teardrop, but many argue it's a Candle tip pattern as it is distinctly pointed at the end, other types of Teardrop are rounded, bulbous in aspect.

It's a fine knife and I'm attached to it, from time to time :D

Thanks, Will
Weird that it’s listed with the “stl” suffix in the production totals. Can you check them with a magnet?

Until all 2019 purchases are accounted for, neither Gary nor I are going to even give a passing thought to any 2020 knife. There is a large amount of pre-work that must be accomplished back stage before any serious threads are started about any 2020 knife effort.

If you want to talk unofficially about various ideas, you can, but the ideas won't carry any special weight as to what gets offered this year. Please do not make this a repeat of last year's circus when random people started approaching various companies about making a BF Forum knife.

Random Idea for a 2020 Bladeforums knife:
Let's ask for a proposal from the companies that might make one (with suggestions from us maybe), and let's come up with a distribution method as well as a pattern. The whole concept is to make it easier on those who must handle things!!:rolleyes:

Yes you are right, it's a crown (cap lifter) it started a craze ;) It was the FIRST 85 pattern, all others come after it, but it has great virtue in having NS liners not brass like the subsequent versions. Yes it is a Teardrop, but many argue it's a Candle tip pattern as it is distinctly pointed at the end, other types of Teardrop are rounded, bulbous in aspect.

It's a fine knife and I'm attached to it, from time to time :D

Thanks, Will
Thanks for the details!
Wish they would do this one again sometime.

This 2020 controversy ;) Wish I had 20/20 vision o_O Does it mean that anybody who is 20 is a Zero?:D Wish I were 20 again ;) sometimes....
It's simple, really. We don't refer to the "Two hundred and third decade" The way we refer to the "twenty first century." So "the twenties" start at 20, like "the 1900s" started at 1900.
To put it another way, when you are twenty years old, you could say "I'm in my twenty first year", or you could say "I'm in my twenties."

But I digress...Thanks, Frank. It's fun to chat about what we'd like to see for a forum knife, as long as it doesn't create unnecessary work or stress for anyone.

We had a great knife this year, a large single blade knife. I propose a small, two blader next. Something like a Peanut. Maybe even with a punch for a secondary blade...:D

Weird that it’s listed with the “stl” suffix in the production totals. Can you check them with a magnet?

Not long ago finished a huge meal and a fair bit of wine, so not as sharp as I might be;) If you mean the liners are steel and not NS, could be. Magnet test proved inconclusive in that the magnet grips the backs of knives with brass liners too as it gets the steel spring(s) The 11 Forum Knife seemed attractive to the magnet yes, perhaps more so;) But the liners look NS as the springs have discoloured differently from the liners. I'm confused and tired :D

It's simple, really. We don't refer to the "Two hundred and third decade" The way we refer to the "twenty first century." So "the twenties" start at 20, like "the 1900s" started at 1900.
To put it another way, when you are twenty years old, you could say "I'm in my twenty first year", or you could say "I'm in my twenties."

But I digress...Thanks, Frank. It's fun to chat about what we'd like to see for a forum knife, as long as it doesn't create unnecessary work or stress for anyone.

We had a great knife this year, a large single blade knife. I propose a small, two blader next. Something like a Peanut. Maybe even with a punch for a secondary blade...:D
Yes a peanut with a punch blade, if there is any chance we get the punch on the mark side that would be good.

No, I actually think that's extremely suitable:cool: A Stabber Jack (Barehead mind....) would be a fine addition. There's not been a single Spear yet, the 11 and 16 editions had fine Spears but had additionals such as crown lifter and punch as did an early CS Canoe type. Ideally, it would be on a Swell End frame or more bulbous Teardrop than the 11 (a great pattern that ushered in a wonderful frame) with a Rat-Tail. Two variants: Smooth Ivory Bone and Osage Orange :) Ok that's settled, no polls no bickering:D Let's hope a Top Man concludes the deal with GEC next week:D;) as a gesture, I'll even keep quiet about a stainless version as I know it's a bridge too far;)

Mind you, a single Spear Talon in Smooth Bone/Camel (Apollosa?) with all steel would be a pretty fair alternative, a dressy one with Rat-Tail and Banner like the Galvanics:cool: and it's an 'off the shelf ' pattern too:thumbsup:

Here's the 2011 86 frame a NICE Spear for sure!

lZOQ3S7.jpg

I love that angle for a knife pic. Shallow DOF and the right light makes for great knife shots.

jAeuyFUh.jpg

Heck, we can beef it up and keep it on the #86 frame and model it after a classic “stabber jack”. I have always wanted a modern version of one. While I know Will Power Will Power would prefer something a little more svelte, I prefer a more hearty blade:D

No, I actually think that's extremely suitable:cool: A Stabber Jack (Barehead mind....) would be a fine addition. There's not been a single Spear yet, the 11 and 16 editions had fine Spears but had additionals such as crown lifter and punch as did an early CS Canoe type. Ideally, it would be on a Swell End frame or more bulbous Teardrop than the 11 (a great pattern that ushered in a wonderful frame) with a Rat-Tail. Two variants: Smooth Ivory Bone and Osage Orange :) Ok that's settled, no polls no bickering:D Let's hope a Top Man concludes the deal with GEC next week:D;) as a gesture, I'll even keep quiet about a stainless version as I know it's a bridge too far;)

Mind you, a single Spear Talon in Smooth Bone/Camel (Apollosa?) with all steel would be a pretty fair alternative, a dressy one with Rat-Tail and Banner like the Galvanics:cool: and it's an 'off the shelf ' pattern too:thumbsup:

Here's the 2011 86 frame a NICE Spear for sure!

lZOQ3S7.jpg
What’s a “stabber jack” can someone post pics or some explanation? That 2011 bladeforums knife is such a great knife. I’ve got to find one.

191 made per the production total pdf. They aren't easy to find or cheap to buy when you do find one.
Yes, I think I’ve seen one once or maybe twice, but it’s one of those ones where I’d have to find it when I’m saving for another knife or my knife budget wouldn’t be able to handle it.

For me I love stainless I know lots of folks have their love for carbon around here but I just prefer a little less maintenance. I wouldn’t mind some select patterns but no telling on what we could end up with or who.

Looking back on it its hard to believe we managed to maintain sufficient goodwill and bonhomie to make the 2019 forum knife happen. There was constant angst and negativity - but I am really glad we prevailed.

Until all 2019 purchases are accounted for, neither Gary nor I are going to even give a passing thought to any 2020 knife. There is a large amount of pre-work that must be accomplished back stage before any serious threads are started about any 2020 knife effort.

If you want to talk unofficially about various ideas, you can, but the ideas won't carry any special weight as to what gets offered this year. Please do not make this a repeat of last year's circus when random people started approaching various companies about making a BF Forum knife.

What’s a “stabber jack” can someone post pics or some explanation? That 2011 bladeforums knife is such a great knife. I’ve got to find one.

Good question :D I can't provide pix but I know that Mike Robuck Mike Robuck has some very good examples and he might join in, but check his contributions under old knives etc.

For me, it's a knife with a BIG SPEAR:cool: Swell End, often Swell Centre as well, sometimes 2 blade with Pen secondary, sometimes Sabre ground, often in Ebony. Usually found on old knives/catalogues. The recent 86 might qualify if fitted with big Longpull Spear and the 97 massive Cokebottle likewise:thumbsup:

Good question :D I can't provide pix but I know that Mike Robuck Mike Robuck has some very good examples and he might join in, but check his contributions under old knives etc.

For me, it's a knife with a BIG SPEAR:cool: Swell End, often Swell Centre as well, sometimes 2 blade with Pen secondary, sometimes Sabre ground, often in Ebony. Usually found on old knives/catalogues. The recent 86 might qualify if fitted with big Longpull Spear and the 97 massive Cokebottle likewise:thumbsup:

This isn't an old one, but it fits into the "stabber jack" category. Long single blade, spear tip. This one is a lockback. Tuna Valley, made by Queen in 2012.
full
I kind of figured the answer would be something like that. Very cool, thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back