Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knarfeng, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    This 2020 controversy ;) Wish I had 20/20 vision o_O Does it mean that anybody who is 20 is a Zero?:D Wish I were 20 again ;) sometimes....

meako likes this.
  2. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    Weird that it’s listed with the “stl” suffix in the production totals. Can you check them with a magnet?

3. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Until all 2019 purchases are accounted for, neither Gary nor I are going to even give a passing thought to any 2020 knife. There is a large amount of pre-work that must be accomplished back stage before any serious threads are started about any 2020 knife effort.

If you want to talk unofficially about various ideas, you can, but the ideas won't carry any special weight as to what gets offered this year. Please do not make this a repeat of last year's circus when random people started approaching various companies about making a BF Forum knife.

LizaMari, Quiet, Shurke and 12 others like this.
  4. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Random Idea for a 2020 Bladeforums knife:
    Let's ask for a proposal from the companies that might make one (with suggestions from us maybe), and let's come up with a distribution method as well as a pattern. The whole concept is to make it easier on those who must handle things!!:rolleyes:

5. matfox

matfox Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Thanks for the details!
    Wish they would do this one again sometime.

Onearmbladenut and Will Power like this.
  6. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    It's simple, really. We don't refer to the "Two hundred and third decade" The way we refer to the "twenty first century." So "the twenties" start at 20, like "the 1900s" started at 1900.
    To put it another way, when you are twenty years old, you could say "I'm in my twenty first year", or you could say "I'm in my twenties."

But I digress...Thanks, Frank. It's fun to chat about what we'd like to see for a forum knife, as long as it doesn't create unnecessary work or stress for anyone.

We had a great knife this year, a large single blade knife. I propose a small, two blader next. Something like a Peanut. Maybe even with a punch for a secondary blade...:D

willard0341, tmd_87 and meako like this.
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Not long ago finished a huge meal and a fair bit of wine, so not as sharp as I might be;) If you mean the liners are steel and not NS, could be. Magnet test proved inconclusive in that the magnet grips the backs of knives with brass liners too as it gets the steel spring(s) The 11 Forum Knife seemed attractive to the magnet yes, perhaps more so;) But the liners look NS as the springs have discoloured differently from the liners. I'm confused and tired :D

Onearmbladenut, meako and Ramrodmb like this.
  8. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes a peanut with a punch blade, if there is any chance we get the punch on the mark side that would be good.

Onearmbladenut and r8shell like this.
  9. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I love that angle for a knife pic. Shallow DOF and the right light makes for great knife shots.

[​IMG]

10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @T. Erdelyi Thanks Ted, great new Forum Knife you have there, your entire collection of them could be unique :cool:

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  11. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    What’s a “stabber jack” can someone post pics or some explanation? That 2011 bladeforums knife is such a great knife. I’ve got to find one.

Will Power and meako like this.
  12. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    191 made per the production total pdf. They aren't easy to find or cheap to buy when you do find one.

13. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Yes, I think I’ve seen one once or maybe twice, but it’s one of those ones where I’d have to find it when I’m saving for another knife or my knife budget wouldn’t be able to handle it.

14. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    For me I love stainless I know lots of folks have their love for carbon around here but I just prefer a little less maintenance. I wouldn’t mind some select patterns but no telling on what we could end up with or who.

15. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Looking back on it its hard to believe we managed to maintain sufficient goodwill and bonhomie to make the 2019 forum knife happen. There was constant angst and negativity - but I am really glad we prevailed.

CelloDan likes this.
  16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Good question :D I can't provide pix but I know that @Mike Robuck has some very good examples and he might join in, but check his contributions under old knives etc.

For me, it's a knife with a BIG SPEAR:cool: Swell End, often Swell Centre as well, sometimes 2 blade with Pen secondary, sometimes Sabre ground, often in Ebony. Usually found on old knives/catalogues. The recent 86 might qualify if fitted with big Longpull Spear and the 97 massive Cokebottle likewise:thumbsup:

17. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    This isn't an old one, but it fits into the "stabber jack" category. Long single blade, spear tip. This one is a lockback. Tuna Valley, made by Queen in 2012.
    [​IMG]

18. jsdistin

May 27, 2016
    I kind of figured the answer would be something like that. Very cool, thanks guys

19. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    Thanks Will. From what I have heard, it was a poor man's dirk. Here's a Conn. Cutlery stabber jack that doesn't have a kick. The pattern kind of fell out of favor at some point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A two-blade Ulster stabber jack:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    As always Mike, great knives.

Will Power and Mike Robuck like this.