Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll just have to accept that some knives will get flipped but assume that the majority of people are going to be buying them in good faith. Once people hand over their money and accept the knife they are free to do what they want with it. I would say maybe only allow one knife per BF username.

This knife selling for $500 is raising a stink but the knife isn't worth that to most people and that is not the 'value' of the knife. There are some collectors out there who have much more money than the average GEC collector and for them, $500 isn't a big deal. Those buyers are unicorn whales though. It's not really possible to develop a system for the BF knife that is going to avoid outliers like that.

I think we just make note of the sellers if we can. Identify them if possible and if they bought the knife direct through BF, put them on the 'no buy' list for next time (if there is a next time).

It could be that the person that sold that knife for $500 wasn't the original buyer.

Ban them from the "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" sub-forum. That way they can go anywhere in Bladed Forums but not Traditional. If they can't get into Traditionals, they can't participate in the process and can't buy a Traditional Forum knife.

Last edited:
I have no problem with increasing the requirements in order to buy a BF knife. I think as soon as it was announced that GEC was the 2019 option, people started with the "I've been here forever but don't post much. Can I please get on the list". I think the requirement should be upped to 200 posts, and at least 1 year old member of BF in order to buy.

If you aren't an active part of the forum, why do you want a forum knife?

Another one went up on the Bay for $465.00 by "sayhi2urmother" who list list their location as Bellingham, Washington

I have no problem with increasing the requirements in order to buy a BF knife. I think as soon as it was announced that GEC was the 2019 option, people started with the "I've been here forever but don't post much. Can I please get on the list". I think the requirement should be upped to 200 posts, and at least 1 year old member of BF in order to buy.

If you aren't an active part of the forum, why do you want a forum knife?

Exactly. I say over 500 posts. Right now in the 2020 wish thread, I dont recognize most posters. We do not have 399 regular posters in this section. Take out the double orders and I bet over 250 people bought them. We will never stop capitalism but we can make more rules and make it harder to get. Only contributing members in this section should be able to buy one in my honest opinion.

The requirements to buy for this last forum knife were:

Who can buy: Any BladeForums member in good standing. That would be a member who
  • has not been found to be flipping forum knives for high profits in past years. (There’s only one name on that no-fly list.)
  • has been a member since at least Dec 1, 2018 and
  • has 30 posts on BF spread over at least that amount of time.

While it is a great knife, and I understand it is rare, I’ll never understand why anyone outside our forum would want one at such a premium. It can’t have any meaning for them. Or maybe I just don’t understand that part of our hobby it which isn’t a bad thing.

We can also just not care. Let people that only see $$ flip and do what they do. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter? I know I was literally laughing out loud when I saw the ebay post. Sucker born every minute!

I was unable to buy this years forum knife at the time of pre orders. Figured I would pick one up on the secondary, I didn’t expect them to flipped at such high prices :eek::(. They are beautiful knives, I learned my lesson if there is a 2020 knife:D.

We can also just not care. Let people that only see $$ flip and do what they do. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter? I know I was literally laughing out loud when I saw the ebay post. Sucker born every minute!
Probably the best attitude in the long run. The only reason it rankles, is that our forum knives are made without any profit going to the dealers, mods, or volunteers.
On other GEC knives, I'm not unhappy that I can likely at least break even if I had to sell a few. Even a used one might get me the original retail price.

I also noticed a few of the pins being sold, but the prices are much more reasonable. :p

I think the best option is to let the dealers put a nice markup on the knives from the start, and give Spark a % too. Maybe advertise them on FB, etc., so everyone who wants one can get one at the original price, thus eliminating the after market.
That wouldn't be a forum knife, it would just be a knife with our tang stamp.

Not only was this posted in the "Ordering" thread but talked about as well:( The Traditional Sub Forum definitely has a Brother/Sisterhood to it and it's just a shame that it isn't respected.

Who can buy: Any BladeForums member in good standing. That would be a member who
  • has not been found to be flipping forum knives for high profits in past years. (There’s only one name on that no-fly list.)
  • has been a member since at least Dec 1, 2018 and
  • has 30 posts on BF spread over at least that amount of time.

Unreal. Some people have no integrity. I wouldn't buy it if anyone tried to claim they didn't know the terms and conditions of purchase. Tough to sort them out but I hope these people are banned from future participation.

I have pondered this flipping issue for awhile. Here are my random thoughts which don't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously, the scarcity or desirability of a particular knife is one of the primary driving factors as to resale price (see the Grinling Whittler). Whether it is a new GEC SFO, or a mint Remington, the demand will set the market. For something like the BF Forum Knife, it's a special SFO that had a lot of moving parts leading up to finished product. Also not to mention certain specific players such as Mike, Frank, Gary, that had the extra added stress of herding all of us cats. It's not just a knife to the majority of us, it means a whole lot more. I have every one of the forum knives, a few doubles even. I have given a few away or sold them for worthy fundraising causes. I would not sell them unless I had an absolute need to, but I totally understand those that have financial needs and reluctantly sell theirs. However, that isn't what we are talking about, is it?

Some early forum knives were serialized. I literally had someone ask something like, "hey, you got #43 in that order, right?" It may not be practical of feasible to do that with these orders in large numbers. It also wouldn't help us track them if they were gifted or sold for legit prices, but there would be a starting trail. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out, if the knives were flipped right out of the gate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for someone being able to make a buck, but not in a case like this where the prices were specifically governed to make them affordable and available to most. SFO drops are the same way, but that's a topic for another day(and subforum).

I think "not flipping" was specifically brought up, so it is sad that people chose to ignore it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back