2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

TheFactor TheFactor I think you’ll like the Osage. It doesn’t get a lot of love I think because of the color or relative lack of figuring. But it has a really unique, silky feel in hand. And it’s super durable. I like it.

Sorry to go on and on about this knife, but I am really enamored with it.

When the first artwork of the knife appeared, I said that it's definitely one I was going to have to purchase. Then I found out it was going to have three springs and I got kind of turned off from it. But then when I found out it wasn't really very much thicker than a #66, well it was back on the menu.

I'm not a big fan of three bladed knives. I get by in my daily life with a single blade. Two blades are kind of handy because they offer some variety of blade styles and a choice. But I never really saw the need for three or more blades, especially when two of them may serve basically the same purpose.

But a two blade knife with a third completely different tool is rather nice to have. I'm thinking of two blades and a cap lifter, or this knife with two blades and a punch. That third tool serves a completely different purpose than a third cutting edge and I can see the logic in it.

And let's talk about the blade choices on this knife. I think we can all agree that a Clip/Coping combo is very handy and could even be considered ideal. Coping/Lamb/Sheep/Wharncliffe blades are my favorites and I find them to be most useful. The Clip is a close second with it's fine point and belly.

Then to top it off, this knife is so well made and looks like a truly "traditional" knife. It's a big winner in my book. :cool::thumbsup:

Nice Break down and I think you nailed it as far as my thoughts to .
Mine should be here Monday and thanks to your beautiful pictures and descriptions I’m even more excited :thumbsup:
And all the other great pictures posted here to :)

TheFactor TheFactor I think you’ll like the Osage. It doesn’t get a lot of love I think because of the color or relative lack of figuring. But it has a really unique, silky feel in hand. And it’s super durable. I like it.
mb> mb> I was hoping it would have a nice feel in hand and I agree it doesn't get a lot of love . Don’t know if it’s the pattern or the great selection of Osage wood covers but that with the satin bolsters goes together like bread and butter .
I’m thinking with the open grain and texture it should give you a nice solid grip to .

Osage orange has never been my first choice in covers. But if you get a little dirt in the grain, it looks like a working mans knife, a classic. It ought to do well on this particular model imo.

I think it's one of the best looking woods in 'less figured' form. Actually prefer it plain and straight. ;)

(FWIW, and OT, It seems like I've been waiting an awful long time for LTWK to do some more Osage Frontiers...)

I can't wait to get mine. When I first saw the preview on GECs site I had hope for a split back whittler, but, I have a couple of 3 springs and love them and thought that I would give this pattern a try. Seeing the covers on these made my mind up for me, I have my first acrylic on its way and I have a reserve for a snakewood, also a first for me. Now i see the pics of the M&Gs and think, oh my poor wallet.

When I first saw the drawings I was kind of “meh…” but after seeing the build photos and realizing how useful a punch would be I ordered one right away. Been in my pocket ever since.

My likes are the blade shape is similar to a case barlow and the size and width. And it has a secondary blade that saves your main from wear for simple tasks. You mention the heavier pull on the punch earlier which is fine with me as it will probably very rarely get used. I wouldn't mind if it was a spey like the M&G version, but then you would basically have a stockman.

My likes are the blade shape is similar to a case barlow and the size and width. And it has a secondary blade that saves your main from wear for simple tasks. You mention the heavier pull on the punch earlier which is fine with me as it will probably very rarely get used. I wouldn't mind if it was a spey like the M&G version, but then you would basically have a stockman.
Before anyone gets a wrong idea about the pull on the punch, chemotherapy has basically trashed my fingernails so my experience is certainly not typical. I can manage it, but it’s a chore. Others opinions are more relevant I think.

I wanted to not like this pattern at all, and a few pages back I was like, "I'm not getting one" or some such bs:rolleyes:.

Well I did get a osage orange one and I must say I'm glad I didn't forgo it.

Pretend theres a picture here. BF software won't let me upload and Imgur is being a #*!@

Pulls are nice. Almost light but not (theres a descriptor for ya), color looks good, f&f is good, w&t is good. Sharp but needs lay on a stone a couple swipes. Overall I'm impressed, way more than I expected. In fact I thought about picking up a spare for eventualities.

Btw, its not too thick incase you're wondering. Thats subjective of course but it feels nice in hand and pocket and its not a fat lil chunk, just right I'd say.

Last edited:
I wanted to not like this pattern at all, and a few pages back I was like, "I'm not getting one" or some such bs:rolleyes:.

Well I did get a osage orange one and I must say I'm glad I didn't forgo it.

Pretend theres a picture here. BF software won't let me upload and Imgur is being a #*!@

Pulls are nice. Almost light but not (theres a descriptor for ya), color looks good, f&f is good, w&t is good. Sharp but needs lay on a stone a couple swipes. Overall I'm impressed, way more than I expected. In fact I thought about picking up a spare for eventualities.

Btw, its not too thick incase you're wondering. Thats subjective of course but it feels nice in hand and pocket and its not a fat lil chunk, just right I'd say.

One more thing. Some of you guys always say you wish the springs were flush when the blades are close, half stop, and open....well this is your knife.

Before anyone gets a wrong idea about the pull on the punch, chemotherapy has basically trashed my fingernails so my experience is certainly not typical. I can manage it, but it’s a chore. Others opinions are more relevant I think.
Every knife I’ve owned with a punch which wasn’t many btw but they’ve all been difficult to open and you have to be very careful trying to pry it open because it will bite or harpoon you just as well.
So anyway I’m expecting nothing less on this one :)

First tease of the Snakewoods

IMG_9116.jpg

My copy arrived today. I haven't picked up a new GEC in some time but I couldn't pass up a whittler with these covers. I know everyone goes ga-ga over snakewood and desert ironwood but I really wish GEC would do more with Osage.

hGANEYS.jpg

The knife is practically the perfect size for daily use. The clip is perfectly proportioned and makes me wonder about tracking down one of the last 35 Churchills, which strike me as having a very similar main.

The cope almost seems disproportionately large for a secondary but that nearly puts it into territory of a secondary main blade. I am thinking it will make a good cardboard breakdown blade.

Lastly, I am squarely in the category where a punch or awl is very useful. Digging things out of small spaces, used as a marlin spike to detangle necklaces, restringing lacrosse heads, scrape and scribe woodworking projects, poke splinters, the list for me is endless.

Now, my complaint. The pull on the main is very light and and lazy. Definitely in the 4 range. Lighter than my 81 moose which was more easy than light. I have to coax the blade open to half-stop. I know this might improve with flushing the joint and usage but I can't help but think this will be a constant reason to leave this one on the dresser.

I guess anyone who buys a number of GEC knives (or traditionals in general) is eventually faced with this dilemma but so far, I've been lucky enough to have the action on every knife I've acquired meet or exceed my expectations. So, this one is a little disappointing. Not sure if I will hold onto it but not, it sure looks great!

6tlmTg3.jpg

Mine, the acrylic version, has what I consider to be pulls that are just the way I want them (except for the punch/awl, which I have referenced earlier). The main and sheep foot are firm, not hard, have solid but not snapping turtle half stops and solid stops and bias toward open. I would complain if they were more difficult to operate. Of course, each to his and her own preferences.

Mine arrived and very happy !
DLT really sent me a nice one .
I wanted some nice grain and centered blades and very happy in all areas and feels great in hand . This one will definitely be in my pocket tomorrow :thumbsup:
jKyowc4.jpg

k5xwAPz.jpg

I really like the knot and grain on the pile side :thumbsup:
jyAz2kI.jpg

Mine arrived and very happy !
DLT really sent me a nice one .
I wanted some nice grain and centered blades and very happy in all areas and feels great in hand . This one will definitely be in my pocket tomorrow :thumbsup:
jKyowc4.jpg

k5xwAPz.jpg

I really like the knot and grain on the pile side :thumbsup:
jyAz2kI.jpg
Glad you finally got it and very happy you like it. :cool::thumbsup:

My copy arrived today. I haven't picked up a new GEC in some time but I couldn't pass up a whittler with these covers. I know everyone goes ga-ga over snakewood and desert ironwood but I really wish GEC would do more with Osage.

hGANEYS.jpg

The knife is practically the perfect size for daily use. The clip is perfectly proportioned and makes me wonder about tracking down one of the last 35 Churchills, which strike me as having a very similar main.

The cope almost seems disproportionately large for a secondary but that nearly puts it into territory of a secondary main blade. I am thinking it will make a good cardboard breakdown blade.

Lastly, I am squarely in the category where a punch or awl is very useful. Digging things out of small spaces, used as a marlin spike to detangle necklaces, restringing lacrosse heads, scrape and scribe woodworking projects, poke splinters, the list for me is endless.

Now, my complaint. The pull on the main is very light and and lazy. Definitely in the 4 range. Lighter than my 81 moose which was more easy than light. I have to coax the blade open to half-stop. I know this might improve with flushing the joint and usage but I can't help but think this will be a constant reason to leave this one on the dresser.

I guess anyone who buys a number of GEC knives (or traditionals in general) is eventually faced with this dilemma but so far, I've been lucky enough to have the action on every knife I've acquired meet or exceed my expectations. So, this one is a little disappointing. Not sure if I will hold onto it but not, it sure looks great!

6tlmTg3.jpg
The pull on my main blade is a little light, but the 'snap' is solid. It's not sluggish at all. I'd prefer a stronger pull but this one is within the margin of acceptable.

Back