2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Mayo, the problem for GEC is that many people prefer softly sprung knives, due to arthritis or weakness in their fingernails. It must be very difficult to get a real snappy action with softer springs without a lot of time intensive hand labor. A few years back, there was a lot of call for softer springs, which it seems GEC was pretty responsive to. Some think they went a little too far, others like them very much. To me, and seemingly several others here on BFC, the #44 Buffalo Jack gunstock pattern hit the happy medium right on the head. I highly recommend them for nearly perfect walk and talk. I believe I've had eight different #44s, and they are amazingly consistent.

One of my friends in town who has survived serious chemo always talks about chemo-brain. She likely has a point. I am trying to learn to slow down and not make quick decisions when I don’t have to. I usually regret it.

I too have a 44 and consider that knife a GEC masterpiece.

I pulled out my ebony 66 tonight to think about it. I love this pattern. It seems to be the perfect Stockman pattern for me. I don’t know why I got wrapped around the axel by the soft action on the secondary blades. Too much reading about the “right” walk and talk perhaps without due consideration of what that means for me. I think this is a situation in which I need to go with what seems right and good for me and be adaptable.

To stay somewhat on track, I am very satisfied with my 29, and think it really might be a good idea to get another. You know, just in case…

Carried mine all day and couldn’t be happier . Really like this knife and pattern so it’s going to take a lot of self discipline to not buy another :)
hknVCgZ.jpg

Oh did I mention no blade rub?
Opened it many times during “hard use today” ... I kid :D Anyway played with it all day during any spare time I had and it’s a real sweety . You don’t have to open the blades in a certain sequence like you do on most 2 and 3 blade knives at least the ones I’ve had . I’ve opened just the blade I “needed”;) or wanted to :D
Not one blade rub :thumbsup:
I’ve learned to expect and accept it on most Multi bladed traditionals but not the case with this one and it’s a real treat. The blades couldn’t of been anymore centered !

Carried mine all day and couldn’t be happier . Really like this knife and pattern so it’s going to take a lot of self discipline to not buy another :)
hknVCgZ.jpg

Only thing about buying a second is I'm afraid it might not be as nice as the one I was lucky enough to get already. Not suggesting its hit or miss either, I just like the one I already have is all.

Only thing about buying a second is I'm afraid it might not be as nice as the one I was lucky enough to get already. Not suggesting its hit or miss either, I just like the one I already have is all.
I think I’m willing to take a gamble :D

You know what they say . . . "Two is one and one is none!" Gotta have backups! ;)

hknVCgZ.jpg
Self discipline, indeed. It's not easy watching the Osages go by.

Hard to capture the really nice dark grain on this one. I was afraid this would be too thick, but as everyone else has confirmed - it's not. One thing I noticed is that GEC smoothed the corners of the spine of the main clip blade all the way back to the tang. Makes for an even more nice feel in the pocket & hand. Great action on mine. My first Osage Orange.

vCCqQEq.jpg

Hard to capture the really nice dark grain on this one. I was afraid this would be too thick, but as everyone else has confirmed - it's not. One thing I noticed is that GEC smoothed the corners of the spine of the main clip blade all the way back to the tang. Makes for an even more nice feel in the pocket & hand. Great action on mine. My first Osage Orange.

vCCqQEq.jpg
Nice one, Tim. :cool::thumbsup:

I was excited to get an Osage Orange today but alas no joy. It will be going right back where I got it. The main blade has a pull of I'd say 3.5-4 and the lambfoot even weaker. Hardly any opening snap. The punch was fine.

bummed !

I was excited to get an Osage Orange today but alas no joy. It will be going right back where I got it. The main blade has a pull of I'd say 3.5-4 and the lambfoot even weaker. Hardly any opening snap. The punch was fine.

bummed !
Bummer.
Have you tried flushing the joints and springs with oil? Sometimes there's some extra buffing compound in there impeding the snappiness.

Bummer.
Have you tried flushing the joints and springs with oil? Sometimes there's some extra buffing compound in there impeding the snappiness.

Not even going to bother, something's not right with this one. It might gain some snap but the pull is way too weak.

Kind of tempting...it's an interesting pattern for sure and offers unusual blade arrangements. The Osage would look nicer with polished bolsters and that's easy to do, but my days of three blade knives apart from the BB Stockman are over. I would never use this knife so I've resolved to stop buying such knives, already got enough. But, it would be nice having one around...;):cool:

bummed !
Interesting. I consider a “5” pull to be just right. On mine, the main is like that, just right. The sheep foot is perhaps a point higher. I suspect that cleaning the joints would resolve those issues, unless of course you don’t like a “5” pull.

Interesting. I consider a “5” pull to be just right. On mine, the main is like that, just right. The sheep foot is perhaps a point higher. I suspect that cleaning the joints would resolve those issues, unless of course you don’t like a “5” pull.

Like I said above, cleaning the joints won't make the pull any better. I could live with a five but this wasn't even close to that. Anyway it's already packed for it's trip back.

Back