2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Here is my 29 striking a pose while I work hard :rolleyes:
1tJdIvh.jpg

Last edited:
I try to stick to single-blade patterns for traditionals and typically avoid most wood scale materials but I really like the look of these #29s in Osage Orange. I've had good luck with that material on small fixed blades and have been looking for a true whittler with a punch so I think I'm going to have to give in and get one.

Just got my Osage in hand and love it! Osage in person much more attractive than pictures can convey, really took me by surprise. W&T very nice. I also have the GBM. To me the Osage feels nicer in hand, more substantial, perhaps the wood scales are slightly heavier. One of those knives that just feels right when you hold it.
Disclaimer: Too low tech and/or lazy to post pics, my apologies.

I try to stick to single-blade patterns for traditionals and typically avoid most wood scale materials but I really like the look of these #29s in Osage Orange. I've had good luck with that material on small fixed blades and have been looking for a true whittler with a punch so I think I'm going to have to give in and get one.

Dooo IT! Dooo IT! Dooo IT! :D

For me, regarding pulls...
3 is no thank you
4 is tolerable
5 is nice and acceptable
6 is the sweet spot
7 is fine and dandy too
8 and higher gets a little rough

My #29 is somewhere between "tolerable" and "nice".
Nice break down :thumbsup:
Here’s my 29 pull rating :)
Main blade a solid 4
Secondary a solid 6
Punch between a 7 and 8
Fit and finish a long with blade centering at a scale from 1 to 10 .
Fit and finish between 8 and 9
Blade centering a 10 on all blades .
With all of the above let’s just say the big picture I rate mine at solid 8 and think GEC did one heck of a job with this 29 pattern :thumbsup:

Also on a side note my pull/walk and talk ratings might be a little harsh.
Since my previous was a Waynorth 93 Lambs foot that spoiled me which has the best walk and talk out of any traditional I’ve ever owned including customs . The perfect 6 pull and snaps shut like a bear trap with all the magical clicks on the way home :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My osage orange 29 came today. Found a crack that runs from the shield through the spring pin and on to the edge of the wood. I already requested a RMA. Too bad, the wood grain is really nice. I don't really want to mess around with trying to glue the crack.

My osage orange 29 came today. Found a crack that runs from the shield through the spring pin and on to the edge of the wood. I already requested a RMA. Too bad, the wood grain is really nice. I don't really want to mess around with trying to glue the crack.

They going to send you another?

Maybe you ought to ask if you can buy it at a discounted rate and send it to @glennbad ? Then buy another osage orange for yourself.

Also on a side note my pull/walk and talk ratings might be a little harsh.
Since my previous was a Waynorth 93 Lambs foot that spoiled me which has the best walk and talk out of any traditional I’ve ever owned including customs . The perfect 6 pull and snaps shut like a bear trap with all the magical clicks on the way home :thumbsup:

I like them easy to open, something like a 4 or a 3. I want them to have a strong bias toward staying open when open and a soft but firm close. Bear trap closing is not on my list of positive attributes.

But, each to her own.

I like them easy to open, something like a 4 or a 3. I want them to have a strong bias toward staying open when open and a soft but firm close. Bear trap closing is not on my list of positive attributes.

But, each to her own.
I’ve found the stronger the pull and the harder it closes the harder it is to fold up on your fingers when in different uses/applications . Also with a nice snappy one it seems to have those nice strong clicks on the way up and down that I’ve grown to know and love .
But as you mentioned everyone has there own preferences mine being the above that really makes me smile :)
But I just say no to nail breakers since you have to draw the line somewhere :D

97ED3FF4-D466-4FA1-9786-D6731901D609.jpeg F0753489-1293-4C26-BAC0-89A24A8277B0.jpeg My acrylic 29 arrived today and I could not be happier.
Initially I really wasn’t interested in this pattern but now that I have it in hand I am super impressed.

As usual the fit and finish is great but the ergos and blade size and choice here are very well done.
Really if I did have a complaint it would be that the mark side of the acrylic is a bit busy.
Acrylic is my favorite GEC cover material and they really knocked it out of the park with this one.

I may actually get another, I am thinking either the Osage or the snakewood.
These 29’s are very cool knives.

View attachment 1175541 View attachment 1175542 My acrylic 29 arrived today and I could not be happier.
Initially I really wasn’t interested in this pattern but now that I have it in hand I am super impressed.

As usual the fit and finish is great but the ergos and blade size and choice here are very well done.
Really if I did have a complaint it would be that the mark side of the acrylic is a bit busy.
Acrylic is my favorite GEC cover material and they really knocked it out of the park with this one.

I may actually get another, I am thinking either the Osage or the snakewood.
These 29’s are very cool knives.
I’m not an acrylic fan, but I think you hit the lottery on that one.

Finally received mine today. It is really well done, yet for some reason, it doesn’t excite me. I’ll have to give it some time. There is a lot to like about it.

The main is pretty light, which I think also takes away from some of the snappiness.

Nice grain on this Osage example.

S59GebNl.jpg

6nb5SHDl.jpg

This IS how you use the punch, right? :)

2k2Cjuml.jpg

Back